Brave New World

Started by Jamman, March 23, 2012, 03:17:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I've recently had to read the book, a Brave New World, for my class, and overall I was so confused.

One, I don't understand where they are. (The civilization). At one point early on it says, "back on earth"; however, then it goes on to say later in the books final chapters about London and Western Europe.

Then there is the Savage. The Savage, I am guessing is a person that lived before the changes into "civilization", and doesn't live among the genetically breed.

Instead of god, they have "The Ford". ( we say, oh my god!, it being, oh my ford! for them).

Everyone in the new world is named, Alpha, Gamma, Epsilon, etc. There is no personality, its all about being the exact same, and learning everything at an early age to make that sense of security stronger and solid.

The main thing I got from this book, is that its all about Safety over Freedom. (much like from my opinion, the United States is).

I have to make an 8 minute presentation on Wednesday about this book. I cant summarize the book in any way, but I need to make personal connections to this book. (more the better for my grade).

If anyone has read this book, and would like to share their personal views on it, I would be more than happy to read it, and maybe it would get my brain going for my own.

Thank you.

Ah one of the dystopian classics. If you think you're confused now try reading 1984 or A Clockwork Orange.

Many of these books warn of the big-brother state which we all pretty much live in now, it's horrific but it's happened.

If you want to boost your presentation, you might want to research into the context and the peer books of the time etc.
It'll certainly help you understand what the writers angle was, and you can stick it in your report.

I did a presentation on the War of the Worlds recently and it certainly helps to babble on about the motivations and stuff.

I'd have to agree with Unit.

Oh also read "The Sleeper Awakes" it's a fairly short H.G Wells book which is a bit of precursor to all of these dystopian novels (H.G Wells believed the film "Metropolis" ripped off Sleeper.. which it sort of did actually)
So yea... it's a good 'un!

Good you see  Brave New World having some sort of relation to the matrix?

Controllers being the agents. Savages/those who believe or know about freedom being the rebels.

My wife loves Huxley.
I wasn't to enamored by Brave New World though.
I think it's because I can relate to the disillusion felt by John the Savage at the end.

Some random thoughts on it....

The whole 'ending is better than mending' thing is very simular to the US economy. Why fix something when you can just get a new one? That keeps the wheels of consumption and production greased. (And keeps the money flowing.)

The alpha, beta, gamma, delta caste system is kinda like Inda, except that ones's position in society is not determined by ones birth family, but in the hatchery. (There are no families in Huxley's world.)
With the polpulation limited and the working life of the individual worked out beforehand, it is an almost perfect society.

Everything was geared to keep the population in line and on track. The caste system, the discrediting of intense emotion, the openly acceptable drug use (soma,) the casual use of orgies and sex, and almost infantile treatment of everyone, especially the lower caste.

Sadly, redemption was only achieved when John realized and lamented indulging in the practices of this strange world.
The World State moved forward, but John, at least, was saved?

I really didn't like a lot of the story. But the simple fact that it is a so-called 'banned' book makes it worth reading at least twice, just to spite the knowledge police.

Here's a wki link: Brave New World on Wikipedia

A clockwork orange > 1984 > brave new world
imo
I'll have to check out the hg wells book