Is your Windows 10 Notification Still Not Coming?

Started by TheGangstarTY, August 01, 2015, 11:50:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
Hello! :wave:

I got bored of waiting for Windows 10 so after looking around, I found out Microsoft added a new section to their FAQ. I went on it and you can download the full, free upgrade right now!
Download it now: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10
This is the official site and is 100% safe! Trust me!
I hope this helps someone ;)

Feel free to contact me on Steam, I answer instantly (Unless I'm offline):<br /><br />YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/roblox751123

This is great! Now, I don't have to boot into Windows 8 to get Windows 10. (I unfortunately did accidentally get rid of my Win8 copy when i downgraded to Win7)
Thanks, Gangstar!
Formerly:
{Alpha}Gen.Ultimo
[212]Cpl.Ultimo
WUSi.Whisper

Quote from: Ultimo on August 01, 2015, 01:13:16 PM
This is great! Now, I don't have to boot into Windows 8 to get Windows 10. (I unfortunately did accidentally get rid of my Win8 copy when i downgraded to Win7)
Thanks, Gangstar!

You're welcome ;) Glad I helped!
Feel free to contact me on Steam, I answer instantly (Unless I'm offline):<br /><br />YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/roblox751123

With the download tool, you can choose whether or not you want a bootable version downloaded to your thumb drive (like i do). This is great, and saved me a lot of trouble that I had before with Win7. Love it.
Formerly:
{Alpha}Gen.Ultimo
[212]Cpl.Ultimo
WUSi.Whisper

What I had forgotten and did not expect with installing a dual-boot to Windows 10 was that I had converted my hard drive to an older type to support Windows 7, and I was not about to format my hard drive and change the type to GPR so I can support Windows 10.
At least now that I've got my copy of Win10, I can hold onto it on my Thumb Drive and I'll probably invest in a second hard drive. Which, would be really handy for a few other projects of mine, aside from having Win7 and Win10.
Formerly:
{Alpha}Gen.Ultimo
[212]Cpl.Ultimo
WUSi.Whisper

August 01, 2015, 09:48:28 PM #5 Last Edit: August 01, 2015, 09:52:16 PM by Dark_Phantom
Windows 7 does support GPT, so I don't know why you "had" to convert your hard drive to it.  Either way, Windows 10 does support MBR, which is what your hard drive would be if it isn't GPT.  Your motherboard would be more of the limiting factor.  If it is a UEFI motherboard, then it has to be GPT, from what I understand, or it won't even boot, and since Windows 7 boots, I would try getting a different .iso or trying again.

And also, if I understand it right, you will still hit the issue of "You need to pay for this".  You will have to pay for Windows 10 unless you are upgrading - this is very specific from Microsoft.  Odds are you will get locked out unless you have a key ready or are in-place upgrading.
The BOBclan:  A Rich History

Quote from: Unit 33 on November 29, 2014, 03:44:44 AM
'Please, tell me more about the logistics of the design of laser swords being wielded by space wizards' - Some guy on the internet.

Quote from: Dark_Phantom on August 01, 2015, 09:48:28 PM
And also, if I understand it right, you will still hit the issue of "You need to pay for this".  You will have to pay for Windows 10 unless you are upgrading - this is very specific from Microsoft.  Odds are you will get locked out unless you have a key ready or are in-place upgrading.
Exactly.

I myself have a copy of Win10 on one of my thumb drives for when I make my rig. However, since it won't be a direct upgrade, I will probably be hit with the $120 installation fee when I proceed to install it (here's hoping I'll have the money for it when that comes around).

As for my laptop, I'm keeping Windows 8.1 on this thing. Although it's received a lot of hate for the metro tiles and such, I've gotten used to it rather quickly (I can't believe how often I use that search function on this thing). I may have the notifiation, but there's no way I'm upgrading (also in part because Cortana isn't available in Canada yet...)

Quote from: Dark_Phantom on August 01, 2015, 09:48:28 PM

You don't need a key unless you're Enterprise, Vista or XP. I can confirm it is 100% safe and free.

When I proceeded to (try) to install it, it asked me for a Key to activate Windows. I pressed the link that said "Skip" at the bottom, and I was allowed past that. However, I never got much further and couldn't install Win10 just because of the issues I mentioned earlier.
Formerly:
{Alpha}Gen.Ultimo
[212]Cpl.Ultimo
WUSi.Whisper

I'll wait a month or so before downloading a copy and playing with it in VMware. Then I can wait for all of the debloat guides and privacy guides to be complete, besides various bugs being found (and there are obviously many) etc. There's no point in upgrading for me. If I want to break something that works perfectly fine I'll play with a Linux distro again.