Frontwire Studio's Battlefront no longer in production thanks to EA.

Started by Luna-old, July 31, 2016, 01:11:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: Dingo224 on August 07, 2016, 05:34:46 AM
Hmm, now correct me if I'm wrong, but If the game was free to play instead, and the developers weren't making any profit off it, wouldn't it technically be perfectly legal? I'm pretty sure it falls under the category of 'fan creations' if no profit is being made. Although, I imagine EA would still try to find the smallest loophole to shut them down, regardless.

According to the article Frontwire believes that they were within their rights to make it, but were asked not to do it and were worried about getting sued.

I would have made the same decision.  How could you be sure no one that was working on it used a ripped model from somewhere they shouldn't have?  The risk would be too great.
Quote from: Abraham Lincoln. on November 04, 1971, 12:34:40 PM
Don't believe everything you read on the internet

Quote from: Led on August 07, 2016, 06:24:36 AM
According to the article Frontwire believes that they were within their rights to make it, but were asked not to do it and were worried about getting sued.

I would have made the same decision.  How could you be sure no one that was working on it used a ripped model from somewhere they shouldn't have?  The risk would be too great.

Well they could've actually added people they trust to the dev team? I find it annoying how passive Frontwire is. But I guess that you're right, it is risky.

Also, anyone realize how EA close any petitions against them? What a :censored: coincidence.
Feel free to contact me on Steam, I answer instantly (Unless I'm offline):<br /><br />YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/roblox751123

Quote from: Dingo224 on August 07, 2016, 05:34:46 AM
Hmm, now correct me if I'm wrong, but If the game was free to play instead, and the developers weren't making any profit off it, wouldn't it technically be perfectly legal? I'm pretty sure it falls under the category of 'fan creations' if no profit is being made. Although, I imagine EA would still try to find the smallest loophole to shut them down, regardless.
You are right.
But I think teh gaem has to be released under the creative commons licence.
EA must have some darn good lawyers, these  :censored: almost give me the envy to stop playing Dead Space. Almost.
Also, check out my total conversion for BF1: Ferocious Battlefront
http://www.moddb.com/mods/ferocious-battlefront

RELEASE INCOMING

Quote from: Incognito on August 07, 2016, 09:29:14 AM
You are right.
But I think teh gaem has to be released under the creative commons licence.
EA must have some darn good lawyers, these  :censored: almost give me the envy to stop playing Dead Space. Almost.

They've made me hate them even more, I'll stop playing their  :censored: battlefront games.
The years just fly past, don't they?

I never bought the last one to be honest.
Also, check out my total conversion for BF1: Ferocious Battlefront
http://www.moddb.com/mods/ferocious-battlefront

RELEASE INCOMING

Quote from: Incognito on August 07, 2016, 10:35:28 AM
I never bought the last one to be honest.

I won't be buying their new one next year, I'll try their beta, but I won't buy the full game.

It's going to take EA three of four games to equal one or both of the original Battlefronts.
Never let a person named AnthonyBF2 touch your BF2.

Quote from: Anthony_b on August 07, 2016, 06:56:58 PM
It's going to take EA three of four games to equal one or both of the original Battlefronts.

It will never happen  :P

If the game didn't have the Star Wars IP, it would have sold only a very small fraction of what it ended up selling.

In the words of George Bush, "Fool me once, shame on...you.  Fool me, can't get fooled again."

Quote from: Abraham Lincoln. on November 04, 1971, 12:34:40 PM
Don't believe everything you read on the internet

Quote from: Led on August 07, 2016, 07:04:15 PM
It will never happen  :P

If the game didn't have the Star Wars IP, it would have sold only a very small fraction of what it ended up selling.

In the words of George Bush, "Fool me once, shame on...you.  Fool me, can't get fooled again."

Funny how I still see you playing EA Battlefront on Origin. A lot.

Not to get too side tracked from the discussion, the main reason I think the new Battlefront failed as a Battlefront game, is that all it made was a pretty good Star Wars game, and nothing else. It's so blatantly obvious that EA used "Battlefront" as the name for their new game, just so they can leech off the original's popularity. It's a shame it ended up turning out the way it did though. I was hoping for a game that would stay true to the original Battlefront, but throw in some new planets, weapons, larger battles, etc. Literally the only things holding Battlefront 1 back are it's engine limitations and dated animations and graphics (which still don't look too shabby for it being 12 years old.

August 07, 2016, 09:03:07 PM #25 Last Edit: August 07, 2016, 09:10:48 PM by Commander Awesome
Quote from: Antstafer on August 07, 2016, 08:43:47 PM
Not to get too side tracked from the discussion, the main reason I think the new Battlefront failed as a Battlefront game, is that all it made was a pretty good Star Wars game, and nothing else. It's so blatantly obvious that EA used "Battlefront" as the name for their new game, just so they can leech off the original's popularity. It's a shame it ended up turning out the way it did though. I was hoping for a game that would stay true to the original Battlefront, but throw in some new planets, weapons, larger battles, etc. Literally the only things holding Battlefront 1 back are it's engine limitations and dated animations and graphics (which still don't look too shabby for it being 12 years old.
I somewhat agree with this statement in that I beleive it is a good Star Wars game and a good Shooter, but not a very good "Star Wars: Battlefront" game, based on the standards set by and general style of the previous games of that name.

[spoiler]But maybe that's because it's actually a Star Wars Battlefront game (note the lack of a colon). :P[/spoiler]

Regardless of EA's decision and general attitude and behavior (which I do hate), I am already too addicted to their products to quit. Sorry guys, they got to me.

In all seriousness, though,
Quote from: FrontWire StudiosLet me stop for a moment. I do not for a second hold any grudge against Electronic Arts and/or Lucasfilm, and neither should our community. The Star Wars brand is a highly valuable and lucrative brand. I would expect nothing less from Lucasfilm than to do everything they can to protect and preserve their intellectual property. As for EA they have an extremely expensive and profitable production contract with Lucasfilm. Likewise, EA has done what they felt they needed to do and if I were in the same position, I hope I would also do anything to protect my golden egg. While I do wish EA would realize that backing a free fan game would actually be an effective way to help and promote their brand, their decision is final, and we as both a business and as a community must respect that.

While I and our attorneys still believe that we fall under the Fair Use law, I have no desire to get into any type of legal battle with Lucasfilm, and lose due to the sheer amount of money Lucasfilm has. As a businessman, I have enough respect for other companies and their intellectual properties to not put up a fight that should not be fought in the first place. At the end of the day Star Wars is Lucasfilm's property, and they have every right to request Frontwire stop using their IP, even if we believe that we were within legal limits. In a perfect world, they will see we were team players and we may just have the chance to work with them in the distant future.
While it is possible they are just saying that to not get in any further trouble with EA, they do have a point.

I do not agree with the path EA has taken with their Battlefront game.

They packed it full of content that is locked behind DLC, most of this content could've been in the base game. But no, they decided to be greedy and ask their fans for more money for their  :censored: game and DLCs.