IDEA: Star Wars Battlefront: Squadron map ports

Started by Giftheck, October 12, 2015, 02:10:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
I discovered recently that ninja ripper, when twinned with ppsspp, can actually rip out the environment meshes from SWBF Elite Squadron, and with noesis I can convert them to a more conventional format. So it got me thinking: what would people say to a 'port pack' of maps from Renegade Squadron or Elite Squadron? Here's what I'm thinking:

RENEGADE SQUADRON MAPS:
-Boz Pity: Graveyard Valley
-Endor: Forest
-Korriban: Valley Of The Sith Lords
-Ord Mantell: Junkyard
-Saleucami: Caldera City
-Sullust: Imperial Caveran Base
-Tatooine: Mos Eisley

ELITE SQUADRON MAPS (Ground only):
-Bespin
-Coruscant
-Dantooine
-Death Star
-Endor
-Kashyyyk
-Mustafar
-Tatooine
-Vjun
-Yavin IV
In Progress:
--Star Wars: Battlefront - Anniversary Edition (formerly Star Wars: Battlefront - Legacy Edition)
--Endor: Imperial Base

On Hold:
--Star Wars Battlefront: Elite Squadron For SWBF1

That would be amazing!

Ask your friendly WgT member about joining today!

That sounds great! I'd definitely love to explore those on swbf.
=AaTc= Forever

SALLY....

-Retired Modder

October 12, 2015, 01:01:36 PM #3 Last Edit: October 12, 2015, 01:05:01 PM by Gistech
The meshes would need re-assembling into a single mesh then broken back down into indiviual parts: the ripper dumps things in segments.

I think Coruscant may be a bit tricky, though. Isn't the Ion Cannon CP right above that causeway in the middle of the map?
In Progress:
--Star Wars: Battlefront - Anniversary Edition (formerly Star Wars: Battlefront - Legacy Edition)

On Hold:

I particularly remember Sullust on Renegade Squadron being pretty great.

That would be a pretty demanding project, maybe start with the porting of some props and give a map a go if it goes well.

That will be amazing man.I have noesis aswell.Cant wait to see the models. :D  Actually Elite squadron contain lowpoly version of the models used in the Free Radical battlefront 3 if im not mistaken?

October 12, 2015, 10:54:59 PM #7 Last Edit: October 14, 2015, 04:42:05 AM by Gistech
Quote from: Ginev on October 12, 2015, 05:01:34 PM
That will be amazing man.I have noesis aswell.Cant wait to see the models. :D  Actually Elite squadron contain lowpoly version of the models used in the Free Radical battlefront 3 if im not mistaken?

Yes and no. Some of the maps are clearly organized differently.

Certain maps would actually have to have their gameplay or CP locations changed. Coruscant and Cat Neimodia being prime examples.

Unfortunately I have not yet found a way to pull player models from the game - if they are skeletonized. It seems the standard customizeable units are not skeletonized, but in 'pieces' (suggesting that at one point you could do more than just swap heads) but the heroes, vehicles and ships all appear to be mapped to skeletons, so Ninja Ripper cannot rip those.
In Progress:

On Hold:

Elite Squadron maps might actually be fairly easy to rip, unfortunately the 'other' method involves using jpcsp, which has a built in 'scene ripper' which rips whatever is on the screen at the time. I did say there was an 'unfortunately': I can't get it to run on my computer.

I have yet to find out if the Noesis models preserve the locations of the models.
In Progress:

On Hold:

Well tirpider pretty much kitbashed the majority of renegade squadron models for me. They are being used for different private mods but I would be willing to let you use them should you convert these maps.
Battfront Stuff if your interested.
http://www.youtube.com/user/411Remnant

October 14, 2015, 11:33:52 PM #10 Last Edit: October 14, 2015, 11:42:06 PM by Gistech
Quote from: 411Remnant on October 14, 2015, 05:24:42 PM
Well tirpider pretty much kitbashed the majority of renegade squadron models for me. They are being used for different private mods but I would be willing to let you use them should you convert these maps.

Do you mean the player models? I did fine on that account so far:

Seems the player models, the customizeable ones, are stored differently to the other animated models. As I said, seems the PSP titles were indeed meant to have deeper customization at one point.

Replaying Coruscant, it would need Command Post repositioning as not only is the Ion Cannon command post over that tunnel, so is the Senate Building command post.

The way I understand paths is that you can't overlap them.
In Progress:

On Hold:

I'd love to see ports of the maps from these games. I used to play these games all the time with my friends.

Here's a little something additional that I managed to partially pull and kitbash together (no, these are not player ready):

Ripping with jpcsx is a real dog so I don't think I can do that with the environments.
In Progress:

On Hold:

That's neat! Those models were taken from the menu, right? They look way better than the ones in-game.

If it'd be of any use, I can try ripping some of these unused models from SWBFRS I discovered a few months ago: http://unusedvideogamecontent.tumblr.com/

October 17, 2015, 12:11:16 PM #14 Last Edit: October 17, 2015, 12:24:41 PM by Gistech
Quote from: DylanRocket on October 17, 2015, 11:54:09 AM
That's neat! Those models were taken from the menu, right? They look way better than the ones in-game.

If it'd be of any use, I can try ripping some of these unused models from SWBFRS I discovered a few months ago: http://unusedvideogamecontent.tumblr.com/

Yes, the heads and parts for both come from the title screen: I've sat those atop modified stock clone bodies.

That'd be awesome! Looking through that, it becomes quite clear that the 'deeper customization' we were promised for Elite Squadron fell through - the 'deepest' it got was forcing you to unlock what came in Renegade Squadron. I knew the Phase I heads were in there though: they (errenously) used them for the Clones in a Cato Nemoidia cutscene. It's interesting that Phase II Dark Trooper was an option at one point it seems. God, I'd kill for the source from these games.

I have actually grabbed most of the ingame hero models from Elite Squadron thanks to a CWCheat code that changes the default position of all units to their 'T-Pose'. It's interesting they use a completely different map for X1 and X2, and it's also interesting that the T-poses are all set up as though the models were to be used in earlier SWBF games (rather than a standard t-Pose these models all have the 'legs slightly angled, arms bent' T-pose that SWBF uses for its models). I'd love to be able to rip the Imperial/Rebel and Sith/Jedi variants of X1 and X2 from the title screen but unfortunately I can't get save games to load on jpcsp so I can't force the title to show the correct models. Textures are a shambolic 128x128, though (I have however had some success reconstructing General Kota's texture using parts from his TFU model)
In Progress:

On Hold: