Xfire alternatives: Pros and Cons

Started by Led, June 10, 2015, 01:19:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
June 10, 2015, 01:19:18 PM Last Edit: June 10, 2015, 01:43:23 PM by Led
OK, so Shazam and Joseph suggested we look into alternatives for xfire.

Here is what I know:

Steam:
-sells games, presumably makes a profit so it should be around for a long time
-allows you to make communities
-has individual chat
-has chat rooms
-can make group forums

Raptr:  http://raptr.com/
formed by the old xfire crew
I have not used it so I don't know what features it has

Origin:
well, it will have the new SWBF but that may be the only reason why people would use it

EvolveHQ: https://www.evolvehq.com/welcome

Join a game
    Start a party
    Chat with friends
    Surf the web
    Take screenshots
    Record video
    Broadcast with Twitch

Overwolf: http://www.overwolf.com/

Overwolf adds epic apps into PC games. Its rich inventory includes apps such as an in-game browser, Game capture, Skype, Twitch streaming, and more! Overwolf has been chosen by TeamSpeak to be their official overlay solution.

Feel free to reply with more information and I will update this post.

Quote from: Abraham Lincoln. on November 04, 1971, 12:34:40 PM
Don't believe everything you read on the internet

June 10, 2015, 01:23:29 PM #1 Last Edit: June 10, 2015, 01:26:29 PM by Phobos
EvolveHQ works well also. I like it more than raptr.  https://www.evolvehq.com/welcome

This has chat rooms and a better LAN service than tunngle, similar to steam but might not be around as long.

There is also something called overwolf but i haven't tried it.

I provisionally installed evolve, my username is joseph9371.

I don't see a way to monitor server info (who's playing) in evolve, which was a big plus for xfire, does anyone know if any others have this feature?

strongly propose steam because its the only thing that i can see surviving until 2020. it controls the market apart from B rated EA games. I ahve used it for many years and its simple enough. if u need any help let me know (making group etc)

Add me on steam you piece of hairy wookie

From what I see many people already have steam, and it has many of the same functions as x-fire, chat rooms, voice chat, screenshots, can see what games friends are in etc. I think it is the easiest alternative.

The problem with Steam for some, is that if they don't own any Steam games they will have limited account functionality, such as being unable to join chat rooms. Its not an end of the world problem, but it can be a pain.
Join the BOBclan Discord: click here | Proud member of the BOBclan since 2014

Quote from: Norwood on June 11, 2015, 10:41:43 AM
The problem with Steam for some, is that if they don't own any Steam games they will have limited account functionality, such as being unable to join chat rooms. Its not an end of the world problem, but it can be a pain.
I don't think that it's a big problem, since Steam has so many free small games to download.

Free games don't count apparently, sorry I didn't specify that!

Quote from: {TcF}Dr.Penguin on June 11, 2015, 12:26:00 PM
Same problem here, Mirky.
Well, I own a couple of paid games on Steam, so I don't have that issue, but I have at least one friend on Steam who does.

I wonder if you can buy one of the the trading cards for pennies to get full access. I have a load of games anyway but I suppose the biggest issue for people is having to enter their credit card.
I play less now but I'll always be around, lets keep this site and battlefront going. :)

You can get something called a "Steam Card" at many retailers (basically, a gift card) for anyone that doesn't want to put in a credit card. 

BTW, the Steam summer sale is coming soon  ;)
Quote from: Abraham Lincoln. on November 04, 1971, 12:34:40 PM
Don't believe everything you read on the internet

I've been using EvolveHQ and I know it supports Xfire, Raptr, and Steam.  I am liking EvolveHQ, so I think I'm going to stick with it unless the bulk of the community decides to relocate elsewhere.

If anyone wants to add me on Evolve, my username is ZChoseN1.

Led, do you think you could add some extra ID fields for EvolveHQ, Raptr, ect.?

Quote from: Led on June 11, 2015, 03:13:03 PM
You can get something called a "Steam Card" at many retailers (basically, a gift card) for anyone that doesn't want to put in a credit card. 

BTW, the Steam summer sale is coming soon  ;)
Thanks for reminding me, I gotta get me some Steam Cards. ;)

I've used Overwolf a bit and it's not too bad. I can understand why people aren't as big into Xfire anymore as it's sorta taken a step back quality wise. To be completely honest I just run my Xfire for the nostalgia and the old friends I still have added on it. Kinda makes me sad at how a lot of things with the application became neglected, but I have my work arounds. It also takes little to nothing in terms of performance for me to run, which is why I still am totally okay with it always left running in the background.
photobucket limit image removed