Author Topic: Changing the shape of lasers.  (Read 3015 times)

Commander Awesome

• SWBF 1&2 Modder
  • Moderators
  • This Man Has No Life
  • Addicted to Battlefront since 2006.
  • Awards Special Award for players of the EA Reboot of SWBF Participated in the ICW6 Special Award for those that play the original SWBF Special Award for those that play SWBF2
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • PSN: AaTc_CmdrAwesome
  • Steam ID:
  • Origin ID: Skykiller_Legacy
Changing the shape of lasers.
« on: April 22, 2015, 08:08:11 PM »
Is it possible to change the shape of lasers? Has anyone ever tried? I'm toying around with the idea of changing them to a pill shape.

Snake

• So little free time, so much to mod..
  • Moderators
  • Internet Addict
  • "Play to win, not to not lose"
  • Awards Special Award for players of the EA Reboot of SWBF Recognizes someone who most generously donated funds to the site or the site Special Award for those that play the original SWBF To recognize Modders that make a most excellent contribution within the Month Intergalactic Clan War 1 Participant Releasing Multiple Mods on SWBFgamers.com
    • View Profile
    • =AaTc=
    • Awards
  • PSN: Octa-king
  • Tunngle ID: aatcsnake
Re: Changing the shape of lasers.
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2015, 08:57:40 PM »
It should be, I think you just need to edit the alpha channels to look pill shaped in gimp or photoshop.
=AaTc= Forever

SALLY....

-Retired Modder

Epifire

• Master Modder
  • Frequent Poster
  • Didn't know I was a Mandalorian did ya :P
  • Awards Admin for SWBFgamers.com ICW Tournament
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Steam ID:
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2015, 08:59:59 PM »
It should be, I think you just need to edit the alpha channels to look pill shaped in gimp or photoshop.

Yeah I'm not sure if it's geometry, a sprite or a combination thereof. If it were a sprite or very large particle effect, that should make it easier just to swap in another material. If it's mapped onto some kind of projectile that could get a little tougher.

Fill me in somebody if I'm wrong?

Snake

• So little free time, so much to mod..
  • Moderators
  • Internet Addict
  • "Play to win, not to not lose"
  • Awards Special Award for players of the EA Reboot of SWBF Recognizes someone who most generously donated funds to the site or the site Special Award for those that play the original SWBF To recognize Modders that make a most excellent contribution within the Month Intergalactic Clan War 1 Participant Releasing Multiple Mods on SWBFgamers.com
    • View Profile
    • =AaTc=
    • Awards
  • PSN: Octa-king
  • Tunngle ID: aatcsnake
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2015, 09:09:11 PM »
I'm 98% sure the bolts are just a large rectangular mesh. I remember accidentally removing some effect file and it cause the lasers to be rectangles. So, I think changing the alphas should work. I guess just try it and see.
=AaTc= Forever

SALLY....

-Retired Modder

RepComm

• Like dat flame job?
  • Walking Dead Campaign Group
  • Internet Addict
  • Awards Award for extensive modding contributions and/or donations to TWD Battlefront ICW2 Participant
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Xbox: rccommandotac
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2015, 09:43:12 PM »
You may find the actual geometry in Common.lvl, it is a series of planes all fit together to look spherical in combination with a glow emission (shaders?), and of course the laser texture can change the shape a bit as well.

The reason for the retangle shape as you describe, is because of the billboarding effect that only renders the piece facing the camera as needed. You may see the effect of the different planes switching out if you pause in SPTest, and spectate with freecamera (backspace toggles game-run, i think). Just move your camera around of bolt that has been shot a few times, and you can see the switching billboards effect.

--
The difference between geometry effects and particle effects is fussy, as they are mutually inclusive on the matter (a particle/effect in an FX file can utilize *.MSH files in emission, and billboards are built in, like primitives). You could edit the laser bolt fx files to use a different MSH if desired, and directly modify the MSH in common.lvl itself.

For simplicity in switching out the laser bolt model and texture, copy paste the FX file from common to %side%/effects/ folder, and edit the texture and MSH references with notepad.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2015, 09:53:14 PM by -RepubliqueCmdr- »

Commander Awesome

• SWBF 1&2 Modder
  • Moderators
  • This Man Has No Life
  • Awards Special Award for players of the EA Reboot of SWBF Participated in the ICW6 Special Award for those that play the original SWBF Special Award for those that play SWBF2
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Steam ID:
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2015, 08:14:31 PM »
Any idea what the geometry is called?

Ginev

• Master Modder
  • Advanced Member
  • Nub Nub
  • Awards Award for extensive modding contributions and/or donations to TWD Battlefront Releasing Multiple Mods on SWBFgamers.com
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Steam ID:
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2015, 03:39:42 PM »
Once i found in some random  weapon  _ord.odf file something very interesting.We all know that most of the range weapons have classlabel "bolt".I found ord weapon file with classlabel "bullet" and under that line i found also this:   GeometryName       = "msh file name here"  This mean that if you know how to make 3d models you can make your lasers to look like anything you want.So for example i used an ewok prop msh model and when i munge i was shooting ewoks from my gun all over the place.I hope i help you guys. :D

Davenport

• Formerly Ultimo
  • This Man Has No Life
  • Retired: {Alpha}, [FC]
  • Awards Recognizes someone who most generously donated funds to the site or the site Special Award for those that play SWBF2 Special Award for those that play the original SWBF
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • PSN: Only_Whisper
  • Steam ID:
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2015, 04:51:28 PM »
You are kidding, Ginev?! LOL!

Please just make that mod and publish it. Haha! :tu:

Commander Awesome

• SWBF 1&2 Modder
  • Moderators
  • This Man Has No Life
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Steam ID:
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2015, 05:14:47 PM »
Cool! So then, can someone model me a pill-shaped laser?

Gistech

• Imperial Shock Trooper
  • This Man Has No Life
  • Awards Releasing Multiple Mods on SWBFgamers.com
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • PSN: ggctuk
  • Steam ID:
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2015, 11:51:06 PM »
Once i found in some random  weapon  _ord.odf file something very interesting.We all know that most of the range weapons have classlabel "bolt".I found ord weapon file with classlabel "bullet" and under that line i found also this:   GeometryName       = "msh file name here"  This mean that if you know how to make 3d models you can make your lasers to look like anything you want.So for example i used an ewok prop msh model and when i munge i was shooting ewoks from my gun all over the place.I hope i help you guys. :D

Yes, it's used for rocket launchers.
Works in Progress:
--Star Wars: Battlefront Legacy (Phase 1 released - Phase 2 in early development, base game due 2017)