If you receive an "Unknown Error" when you attempt to install the game update

Started by oldsnake, September 09, 2014, 11:41:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
the patch downloads on this site have solved Majesty's Unknown Error windows message while trying to update the game. FieroBull  this might help you get a clean patch for your game.  https://help.disney.com/articles/en_US/FAQ/What-do-I-do-if-I-m-getting-an-error-message-in-STAR-WARS-Battlefront#unknown-error

I have copied the FAQ from Disney to here for our reference:
I will format it later. Thanks oldsnake.

What do I do if I'm getting an error message in STAR WARS™: Battlefront?
posted on 2014/07/23

I'm encountering general performance, crash/lockups, or error messages when selecting 1280x960 or higher display mode settings in the game. What can I do?
    Why does my computer screen go black or display an "Out of Frequency" error message after changing in-game resolutions?
    I am getting an "Unknown Error" when installing the 1.2 update for Star Wars™ Battlefront.
    When I try to update my game in the Best of PC package, I get an error that it cannot find the file.
    Error Installing: KeyEntry.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close
    I am getting a "CDKEY" error message when I try to install the game.
    I get an error during the installation of Star Wars™ Battlefront : "Error Installing: Wrong volume in drive" or a similar message.
    I get an error when I try to run the program, "The ordinal 11 could not be located in the dynamic link library DSOUND.dll"
    When I try to start the game, I get a message, "Conflict with Disc Emulation Software detected. See www.securom.com/emulation for more details" or "Wrong Volume in drive"
    International Support

I'm encountering general performance, crash/lockups, or error messages when selecting 1280x960 or higher display mode settings in the game. What can I do?
Some graphics cards may have issues when running the game after selecting 1280 x 960 or higher for the In-Game Resolution, especially when using a 64 MB graphics card. You may experience severe hitching, a generally poor framerate, or occasional lock ups or crashes.

If any of these issues occur when playing Star Wars™ Battlefront, please select a lower resolution.

The game may also crash to the desktop or display an error message when you attempt to start a game after changing resolutions in the Video Options menu. This occurs if your monitor or its driver does not support the resolution you selected.

If this occurs, you may need to delete the vidmode.ini file in the Star Wars™ Battlefront\GameData\ Data\_LVL_PC folder before restarting the game. You may need to select the correct driver for your monitor or install the Windows Plug and Play driver to select higher resolutions.

Why does my computer screen go black or display an "Out of Frequency" error message after changing in-game resolutions?
When selecting a resolution in the Graphics Options menu, the screen may go black and display an 'out of frequency message' or the game may display incorrectly. This occurs when you select a resolution that your monitor cannot display correctly. If this occurs, wait 15 seconds without pressing any buttons on your keyboard or mouse and the resolution should revert back to its previous setting. If the display does not recover, you may need to exit the game and run the batch file RestoreDefaultSystemSettings.bat in the ...\Star Wars™ Republic Commando\Gamedata\System folder to reset your in-game options to their default settings.

I am getting an "Unknown Error" when installing the 1.2 update for Star Wars™ Battlefront.
If you receive an "Unknown Error" when you attempt to install the game update, the update file may be corrupt. We recommend you try downloading the update again to see if this corrects the issue. The Star Wars™ Battlefront 1.2 update is available at:

English version: Download Now!
    French version: Download Now!
    German version: Download Now!
    Italian version: Download Now!
    Spanish version: Download Now!

Make sure you select the correct language version for download. We apologize for the inconvenience and we thank you for your patience in this matter.

When I try to update my game in the Best of PC package, I get an error that it cannot find the file.
All of the games in the Best of PC package are already patched with the currently available patches, which is why you're getting the error message (the patch is looking for a file that is unpatched).

If you receive the error "KeyEntry.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close" when you attempt to install the game, please follow the troubleshooting steps here.

I am getting a "CDKEY" error message when I try to install the game.
Please note that there are no letter T's (upper or lower case) try a lower case F instead, L's or i's, letter O's in any of the CD Keys, though a 1 (one) or 0 (zero) may look like a letter. Make sure you enter the appropriate number in such cases.

If you are still having problems, please send us a scan of the CD key in question.

I get an error during the installation of Star Wars™ Battlefront : "Error Installing: Wrong volume in drive" or a similar message.
Information and troubleshooting steps for this issue can be found here.

I get an error when I try to run the program, "The ordinal 11 could not be located in the dynamic link library DSOUND.dll"
This error indicates that DirectX is not properly installed, or you have an older version of DirectX on the system than the game requires, and you need to install the version that comes with the program. To correct this error, you should install the version of DirectX that comes with the program. It is also recommended that you update your video and sound card drivers to versions that are certified and compatible with the newer version of DirectX.

When I try to start the game, I get a message, "Conflict with Disc Emulation Software detected. See www.securom.com/emulation for more details" or "Wrong Volume in drive"
Information and troubleshooting steps on this issue can be found here.

International Support

If you are still looking for support and are in the following countries, please click here for more specific contact information:

UK, Ireland, Denmark, Finland, Norway, Sweden, Spain, Portugal, Italy

If you are still looking for support and are not in one of the countries above, please click 'Contact Us' below.

STAR WARS™: Battlefront - Basic Troubleshooting for Windows Games
posted on 2014/07/23

How do I close Background applications in Windows XP?
    How do I test my sound card and video card for DirectX compatibility?
    Should I disable the Windows Power Management feature while playing the game?
    I am getting a CD-ROM access error message when attempting to launch the game.
    Error Installing: Cyclic Redundancy Check (CRC)

How do I close Background applications in Windows XP?
It is strongly recommended to turn off all background applications when running graphically intensive programs. Many applications can cause errors such as GPFs, color scrambling, loss of sound effects or music, etc. Taking a minute to turn off these applications can save you the trouble of rebooting later. Background applications include such things as System Agent, Norton Utilities, Internet chat utilities, virus checkers and screen savers. Crash guard programs such as First Aid for Windows can also cause problems.

First, press CTRL+ALT+DEL once. This will bring up the Windows Security dialog box. Click on the Applications button. In Applications screen, highlight one of the entries, then click on the End Task button to close the program. Repeat until this list is empty.

Next, look in the lower right hand corner. Right click on any of the icons and select the Quit/Exit option. Do this to all of the icons that have a quit option.

You can shut them down also by using msonfig.

Go to Start, Run, and type in "msconfig".
    Click OK
    On the General Tab, choose Selective Startup. Uncheck the option to Load Startup items.
    Click Apply, then Ok, and restart the system when prompted.

How do I test my sound card and video card for DirectX compatibility?
After installing DirectX, you can run the DirectX diagnostic tool to test your video and sound card for DirectX compatibility.

Go to Start, Run.
    In the Open box, type in "dxdiag" . Press the Enter key or click OK.
    To test your video card, click the tab that says Display. Click on Test Direct3D. If your card fails these tests, you will have problems running any program that requires Direct3D.
    To test your sound card, click on the tab labeled Sound. Click on Test DirectSound. If your sound card fails these tests, you will have problems running any program that requires DirectSound.

Should I disable the Windows Power Management feature while playing the game?
If your computer is equipped with a Power Management feature, you may want to disable it. Please consult your computer's documentation or the manufacturer for assistance in doing this. When Power Management is enabled, the following problems may occur:

The game may crash or go to a blue screen when sleep mode activates.
    The Windows mouse cursor may not appear when the computer returns from sleep mode.
    The monitor may go to a black screen while you are playing or when sitting at one screen for long periods of time.

I am getting a CD-ROM access error message when attempting to launch the game.
A blue screen CD-ROM access error might be a symptom of one of these problems:

You may have a dirty or scratched CD.
    Your CD-ROM drive may be having trouble reading the disc. This is common on some 8X (eight speed) CD-ROM drives.
    Your CD-ROM drive may be getting old or worn.
    Your CD-ROM may not be properly installed in Windows.

First, check your CD for any dirt, fingerprints, smudges or scratches. To clean your CD, wipe it gently with a soft cloth, moving in smooth strokes from the center hub to the outer edge of the CD. If your CD looks fine, replace it in the drive and see if you continue to have this problem. If the problem persists, please try testing the drive with a different CD.

If you receive the error "KeyEntry.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close" when you attempt to install the game, please try the following before attempting to install the game once more:

Click Start and choose Run.
    Type MSCONFIG and click OK.
    Click the radio button next to "Selective Startup"
    Remove the check mark next to Load Startup Group Items.

After making these changes, you will need to click Apply & OK and then restart the computer for these changes to take effect.

After installing the game, please Run Msconfig again and reselect the Normal Startup option (or the original options you had selected) and click Apply & OK and restart the computer to return to your original startup configuration.

Error Installing: Cyclic Redundancy Check (CRC)
Programs running in the system tray can sometimes cause conflicts with DirectX games. These programs can also take up system resources which may need to be freed up for the application to run smoothly. The system tray runs on the side of the taskbar (the bar with the "START" button). These icons are programs that are running on your system, some of them loading at start up. Some of these programs can be shut down by right-clicking on the icon, and choose to Exit, Close, Suspend or Disable the program/utility. Others can only be shut down by pressing CTRL+ALT+DEL which brings up Windows Security, click on the Task Manager button near the bottom of this window. Next, click on Applications and highlight the program you want to close, and click on End Task. You should try closing any other applications here before you install or launch the game to see if this resolves any problems you're having with the game.

If you have more than one CD/DVD drive on the system, try installing and playing the game using the other drive.
If you still receive a CRC error when attempting to install the game in Windows XP, please try disabling DMA transfer mode on your drive, temporarily, as follows:

Click the Windows Start button, choose Settings > Control Panel > double-click the System icon (or right-click My Computer and select Properties).
    Click the Hardware tab.
    Click the Device Manager button.
    Click on the plus mark "+" next to IDE/ATA ATAPI Controllers.
    Double-click the Primary IDE Channel icon.
    Click the Advanced Settings tab.
    Click the drop-down arrow next to Transfer Mode and choose PIO only.
    Click OK and close the Device Manager and click OK on the System Properties window.

Restart your computer and attempt to install the game once more. If the game installs and plays correctly now, you should go back through the above steps and reverse the changes back to their original settings.

If you still encounter the CRC error then you may have a bad CD or there may be a problem with your CD/DVD drive which is resulting in disc read errors.

Note: We do not recommend making any changes to your system without first contacting your computer manufacturer about the configuration of your computer.

If you still have trouble installing the game, then you may have a defective game CD. We would suggest that you try exchanging the game for another copy from the store where you purchased the game. If they will not replace the game for you, you can send the CD(s) to us for replacement. There is a 90-day warranty on all of our games. During this period you may return a defective CD and receive a free replacement (please send a dated copy of the proof of purchase). If it has been more than 90 days since the date of purchase you can send in the defective CD(s) plus a check or money order to cover replacement costs (shipping & handling is already included). We charge $20 for a replacement CD or set of CD's for a single game. Send the CD(s) and payment (if out-of-warranty) to:

Disney Interactive
Attn: LucasArts Product Support
1200 Grand Central Ave. - MC 8793
Glendale, CA 91201-8793

Please attach a short note specifying that you need a replacement of the item(s) sent, with your name and address also appearing on the note.

Quote from: Abraham Lincoln. on November 04, 1971, 12:34:40 PM
Don't believe everything you read on the internet