Alternative ideas for turret dispensers

Started by Giftheck, July 09, 2014, 04:35:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
I'm looking into getting back to modding soon. There was one thing I tried to get working and that was a turret dispenser, however as we all know turrets sit in midair if we're using a straight-up dispenser. So what I wanted to know is this: is there an alternative way of getting a turret dispenser to work? Perhaps we could throw a detonator of some kind and it 'detonates' into a turret, or manipulate the Orbital Strike so that it fires one shot where you want it to and that spawns a turret.
In Progress:
--Star Wars: Battlefront - Anniversary Edition (formerly Star Wars: Battlefront - Legacy Edition)
--Endor: Imperial Base

On Hold:
--Star Wars Battlefront: Elite Squadron For SWBF1

Quote from: ggctuk2005 on July 09, 2014, 04:35:25 AM
I'm looking into getting back to modding soon. There was one thing I tried to get working and that was a turret dispenser, however as we all know turrets sit in midair if we're using a straight-up dispenser. So what I wanted to know is this: is there an alternative way of getting a turret dispenser to work? Perhaps we could throw a detonator of some kind and it 'detonates' into a turret, or manipulate the Orbital Strike so that it fires one shot where you want it to and that spawns a turret.
Good to hear you may return to modding :)
This is interesting idea. It seems as if the ODF limitations encountered with turret autofire might not necessarily apply here since a unit would be aiming the turret. The best approach I can think of is experimenting with classlabels. I want to also be able to deploy a r2 droid or crabwalker which follows you around and throws health packs. or if you're driving a vehicle, it would follow you around and repair it. it might be possible, to deploy a stationary entityhover that uses the turret model and ODF settings, so it functions and appears as a dispensable turret. im not sure this would work but you could try.

Using a hover class would require trying to figure out how big to make the entityhover memorypool in the LUA.

Another idea might be to use the BF2 Autoturret model and instead have a dispensable remote turret.
In Progress:
--Star Wars: Battlefront - Anniversary Edition (formerly Star Wars: Battlefront - Legacy Edition)

On Hold:

If the "explosion" method works you could try to make a "time bomb" that looks like the turret and have it "explode" the real turret.

That would probably work on flat surfaces, but I'd have to test it on slopes to see if they'd spawn properly.
In Progress:

On Hold:

July 23, 2014, 11:11:34 AM #5 Last Edit: July 23, 2014, 11:17:22 AM by MileHighGuy
have you seen my deployables pack? its in my sig. It has barricades you dispense with real gravity. Also the "hover in the air turrets", but they auto fire and aim where you aim.

July 23, 2014, 11:14:46 AM #6 Last Edit: August 07, 2014, 05:31:04 PM by Commander Awesome
Probably, but he wants a man-able turret in particular.