If You Could Only Have 5 [Mod Maps]

Started by Kit Fisto, July 01, 2013, 09:52:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
Here's a new series of threads I'm going to do called "If You Could Only Have 5" and it will ask a questions regarding only having 5 of something in SWBF.

This time it's Mod Maps!

If you could only have 5 Mod Maps ever again what would they be and why? (Tat3 doesn't count as a mod map)

Well I would have these 5 maps and here is why.

1) Coruscant: City
This map really captures the Episode II/III Coruscant upper city. I love the colors of the map and the layout. It feels like a Battlefront map as in it feels Star Wars. I especially like the recognizable features from the movie and the infantry based combat.

2) Coruscant: Streets
Just like City, Streets really captures the scene from episode II and puts in right into my SWBF game. I like the lighting and colors just like for City and the gameplay is amazing in both single and multiplayer. The map has a wide range of variety and lots of places to explore. Episode II is my personal favorite SW movie (because, in short the movie came out at a critical age in my childhood) and since this map is inspired by episode II I love it that much more.
Oh and I'll just add that if you watch the speeder chase in ep II you can see lots of the buildings Rends puts in his map in the movie!

3) Geonosis: Dust Plains (SK edition)
This map is probably my favorite SWBFII map and I love it even more in SWBFI. The level feels right and even though it doesn't come close to the amazing-ness of Spire it still feels like I'm put in the shoes of a Clone Trooper or SBD in the last reel of episode II. It has great vehicle and infantry based combat and is a blast with lots of AI. This map isn't the best in multiplayer but if you stick to singleplayer it can be quite fun! I espcially like the props and I think it fits well with the Geonosis look.

4) Abridon: City
This map is very fun offline. You really get the sense you're in a city fighting for control. The vehicles really make for some intense action but don't overpower the infantry combat. This map is fun for either trying very hard to win or just messing aroudn on a speeder bike. Unlike other city mod maps this one feels like a Star Wars city and authentic to the SWBF vanilla game (like it belongs). And it has an AT-AT you can walk through the city to blow up any rebel scum who dare oppose you! For Rends maps in general it shows that you can have an amazing map without edited playable sides.

5) Kamino: Cloning Facility (Sereja edition)
I don't play this map too often but when I do I have a blast. It is a wonderful improvment over the stock SWBFII Kamino (which I find boring) and the new props really make each platform not feel the same each time. You have something to look at while you walk from platform to platform. The Sereja edition also adds loads of new things which really improve the map. You get to use Slave I as a turrent which brings back major nostalgia from the Episode II movie. And no one would think of this but Sereja, but the AT-RT on this map just makes it for me! It is such an ingenious addition and it's very fun to pilot them. The sides just add to the fun in this map. It's probably not my all time favorite port by Sereja (Dagobah is my favorite) but Dagobah doesn't have as much variety of gameplay as my other 5 maps I chose do.

So yea! Here are the maps with links if you want to try them out! Just click on the map name.

1 and 2) Coruscant: City and Coruscant: Streets

3) Geonosis: Dust Plains (SK Edition)

4) Abridon: City

5) Kamino: Cloning Facility (Sereja Edition)

July 01, 2013, 10:01:10 AM #1 Last Edit: July 01, 2013, 10:23:49 AM by Ltin
this isnt in the order of i like them, just i order i remember them in
1). tatooine: Outpost
it has a very uniqe feel to it and it has some very creative use of things like the laat
2). Ziost: Order 66
It reminds me of Rhen Var, and the enitire idea is very creative
3). Yavin 4: Blood Job
The gamplay is very good, and even though its a survivor map, its very balanced.
4). Tranquan: Tech Centre
Very nice design, fun gamplay
5). Bespin Zombies
Great gamplay, excellent sides

Why would you have those maps over others?

July 01, 2013, 10:24:26 AM #3 Last Edit: July 01, 2013, 10:42:18 AM by Shazam
At times I enjoy some maps over others, but at the moment, these are my top 5. **In no particular order**

Abridon: City - I have sooooo many memories on this map, it's ridiculous. I enjoy playing it with friends, or just by myself with AI. The map is beautiful, I love the layout of it, and the vehicles just make it all the better!

Coruscant: Streets - I also have some great memories playing on the map with my old clanmates. It's fun to play with AI, and even more fun to play with friends. The effects are awesome, the layout is pretty good, and I like the above-ground bridges that go over the battlefield.

Dantooine: Dust - I have had many great ICW and GGCW battles on this map. It always makes for an intense game with it's close-quarter rooms and hallways. The best part about this map is making your way around by using the rooftops.

Mustafar: Refinery - I don't really know why I like this map so much, but I've always had fun on it. I have found a lot of bugs and glitches on it, but I really like the layout of it.

Rancorland - When I'm bored, I always go here. Phobos did an exellent job of making this map fun and interesting. I still have yet to make my way through the entire map....

-edit: After posting, I thought of some other maps that I really enjoy, but I don't necessarily like them more than the ones I already posted... I'm glad the map limit isn't 5. :panic:

1. Ord Martel, 2. Arbion city. 3. Trirplois(snakes zombie map) 4. This map with terriosts and army sides.... forgot the name. 5. Earth Russia

Alrighty.

ORDER 67

I never get tired of this map, even though it appears to be an unfinished test-map it's a right blast.

If you choose the Empire your gonna have to march from the drop-zone in horrendous blizzard conditions into the icy cave system.
But thankfully the claustrophobic atmosphere peels away as you soon discover the hidden Temple!
Taking the temple is a great challenge because it's really big, yer? The lighting in there is all macabre and gothic like some great big gothic macabre thing.
And then those Rebels start shooting at you and you're stuck in the middle of an ambush. FUN!

BIG HOTH MAP

It's big map and it's Hoth, what more need be said?

CLOUD CITY: INSANITY

Creative players can find a plethora of ways to crash the game in this mod, which makes it very fun.
Using the sides on other maps causes much hilarity, the ARC trooper's secondary Laser Canon can take down the Techno Union Ships in a couple of shots.

ORD MANTELL: NO GREATER GLORY

Far too fun for it's own good, one of the few large scale maps which is fully fleshed out with detail.

ARC: JAMBIIM

A challenging defence/hoard map for the Clone Troopers, great usage of lighting and atmosphere. The weapons are grand.

Unit you're a big map kind of guy right?

Quote from: Kit Fisto on July 01, 2013, 12:42:31 PM
Unit you're a big map kind of guy right?
How did you guess?

Yes, I like big open places with explosions and stuff to look at.

My 5 Mod Maps that I would choose are:

1) Nar Shaddaa: Vertical City - It is one of the very few maps that captures the true look of a city in Star Wars, and I love it. Plus the other missions included definitely add to the replayability value.
2) Earth: Desert Town - One of the few modern combat-style maps, I always use Snake's sides from the map for other maps too when I feel like spicing things up a little.
3) Hyperion: Excavations - I personally love playing it when I feel in the mood for mowing down the undead with a chaingun (yes, I love chainguns). The choppers outside of the general area are cool too, even though they take a long time to get to.
4) Abridon: City - One of the maps that my friends and I have had loads of fun on, good times there.
5) Coruscant: Streets - Liked the urban layout of the map, had some fun times there too with my friends.

Am I have to pick maps by other modders, or the maps, maded by myself? (in this case, it's cud be a very selfish story :P).
Beauty is, the way to perfection.

Glory to Ukraine!  :mf:

Quote from: Sereja on July 01, 2013, 01:12:36 PM
Am I have to pick maps by other modders, or the maps, maded by myself? (in this case, it's cud be a very selfish story :P).
Since your maps are so good it might be hard for you to choose which one! How about your top 5 that you have made and top 5 by other modders.  ;)

And any other mapper can do that if they want.

Oh, and I never knew so many people liked Abridon: City! I thought I was alone! Well hey, great minds think alike!

July 01, 2013, 02:37:31 PM #12 Last Edit: July 01, 2013, 02:40:36 PM by Shazam
Quote from: Kit Fisto on July 01, 2013, 02:29:22 PM
Oh, and I never knew so many people liked Abridon: City! I thought I was alone! Well hey, great minds think alike!

I got a bunch of people hooked on it.  :shrug:

I found it one day and we made it the homeplanet of our clan. We even found this building off away from the battlefield and made it our 'base'. We would get all the ground vehicles and park them under it, get all the flying vehicles and land them on top of it, and then we'd get the AT-AT and put it right next to it so we could hop on from the little room inside of the building. To this day, I don't know why we did that, but it was cool having all all the vehicles there.

-edit: Oh, and we would have a lot of fun doing random things in the water. We'd try to get the AT-AT or the walkers through the giant lake without dying. And speeder races, ya can't forget the speeder races.

Quote from: Shazam on July 01, 2013, 02:37:31 PM
I got a bunch of people hooked on it.  :shrug:

I found it one day and we made it the homeplanet of our clan. We even found this building off away from the battlefield and made it our 'base'. We would get all the ground vehicles and park them under it, get all the flying vehicles and land them on top of it, and then we'd get the AT-AT and put it right next to it so we could hop on from the little room inside of the building. To this day, I don't know why we did that, but it was cool having all all the vehicles there.

-edit: Oh, and we would have a lot of fun doing random things in the water. We'd try to get the AT-AT or the walkers through the giant lake without dying. And speeder races, ya can't forget the speeder races.

Ah the fun we had. If only (DX)Gen.Jenifer was still active and could play modmaps, it would've made those memories much more fun.  :(

July 01, 2013, 05:21:24 PM #14 Last Edit: July 01, 2013, 05:24:41 PM by Phobos
I'm sure this list will change later but right now these are my favorite 5 mod maps:

1 Dagobah Swamps: Probably my favorite mod map of them all currently. Words cannot describe how awesome this map is for various mods. Water bug is the only drawback, but every other map on my list has the same bug so its not a huge deal.
2 Jai Nollan: Possibly would be my favorite mod map if there were less bugs. The design is perfect, lots of close range combat, and lots of cover for strategically flanking several enemies. Plus you can shoot through windows and blow up explosive barrels (fun).
3 Felucia Woods: Really awesome map design with lots of good scenery. The hills are made very nicely, and I prefer this map to Felucia Forest because the design is more stable. There are a few collision bugs but other than that it's one of my favorite all time maps.
4 Dantooine Dust: Very much like mos. Amazingly fun for wars and various side mods.
5 QCITY: Because its the perfect large-scale map IMO. Much better design than Abridon or Ord Mantel, and not focused on vehicle advantages. I would rank Coruscant Streets right under this map if could pick more.

It's nice to see Rancorland mentioned above. That map started as just an ideas/testing ground for implementing underground mazes and volcanos into Phobos map. Eventually it became its own project that was unfortunately never finished due to too many bugs. There are 3 or 4 levels to the underground maze that you unlock by destroying "brainwalls" with hidden turrets by glitching.
Also Eddie is my favorite map maker of all time currently. I like the Earth maps too and there are several other maps on filefront I still have to test.