LUA scripts for SWBF

Started by Led, March 11, 2013, 07:49:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

These are the LUA scripts for shell and common lvl file generation released by the guy that made the mod tools for us a long time ago, psych0fred.

What can you do with them?  It seems right now they are well suited for adding things into SP, but they can also be used to add eras in MP.

Want Clones vs Empire for all the maps?  You can make your own era designation and have at it.

Thanks to Phobos for noticing the new release on Fred's website.
Quote from: Abraham Lincoln. on November 04, 1971, 12:34:40 PM
Don't believe everything you read on the internet

March 11, 2013, 08:14:35 PM #4 Last Edit: March 11, 2013, 08:28:31 PM by Kit Fisto
So psych0fred is still around?! And he's still interested in SWBFI!? He should get on this site! :)
So can someone give a more in depth meaning of this for the SP aspect? Unlimited eras? New Campaign? New Galactic Conquest? More modding possiblilties?
Heroes?!

EDIT: So what Phobos said is true! There was originally supposed to be Coruscant: Jedi Temple, Dagobah, Death Star, Felucia, Mygeeto, Tantive IV, Utapau and SPACE MAPS in SWBFI!?!!?!?!?! :o
That would have been the most epic game of the century.

March 11, 2013, 08:23:54 PM #5 Last Edit: March 11, 2013, 08:38:03 PM by Phobos
Quote from: Shazam on March 11, 2013, 08:13:03 PM
Sweet! Nice find, Phobos!!
Actually credit goes to Dark Phantom since he told me about them first. We tested them for a few weeks to make sure they were safe enough to inform the whole forum. I merely informed Led about their presence on Fred's site.

Quote from: Kit Fisto on March 11, 2013, 08:14:35 PM
So can someone give a more in depth meaning of this for the SP aspect? Unlimited eras? New Campaign? New Galactic Conquest? More modding possiblilties?
The answer to your questions is yes, but there are limits. New custom eras, campaigns and galactic conquests are all within the realm of possibility. A custom campaign can have up to 255 missions. I am currently learning how to develop custom campaigns but won't start working on galactic conquests until I'm much better at LUA modding. 

Custom Eras are limited to ~16 I think since you can only use one letter designation per faction. There are 4 out of 26 letters used by default (A C I R). You can also use 0-9 but I don't think any other  characters work.

Quote from: Kit Fisto on March 11, 2013, 08:14:35 PM
EDIT: So what Phobos said is true! There was originally supposed to be Coruscant: Jedi Temple, Dagobah, Death Star, Felucia, Mygeeto, Tantive IV, Utapau and SPACE MAPS in SWBFI!?!!?!?!?! :o
That would have been the most epic game of the century.
There's more. Dig around the various meta scripts and you'll find that Galactic Conquest for Multiplayer was originally intended to be a main  feature of SWBF1 Online. It may be possible, although the chances are slim, that this feature could be re-activated through the LUA. But what I'm not sure of is whether or not the EXE still contains active code that was merely switched off when they nulled the codes in the LUA - or if the EXE code for online metagame was never developed which would pretty much make the idea impossible. Either way there's alot to discover still that's for sure.

I would like to point out that you should check the time stamps on the files. I think these scripts are from SWBFII right before the engine got an overhaul hence why the SWBFII maps have scripts in them.

March 12, 2013, 03:27:59 PM #7 Last Edit: March 12, 2013, 03:40:20 PM by Kit Fisto
So the SWBFII maps weren't supposed to be in SWBFI?

Oh when I was looking in it I think I read an lua that said it was a way of editing the .exe without actually editing the .exe. Would this be a way to add Tunggle as the new online option as well as many other opportunities?

EDIT: it was called "globals.lua"

I've tried modifying globals.lua but the game doesn't seem to recognize this script I think it is obsolete or something