Star Wars Battlefront United

Started by Glitch, February 02, 2013, 08:02:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
February 02, 2013, 08:02:25 AM Last Edit: February 04, 2013, 02:30:45 PM by Glitch

Summary:"Star Wars Battlefront United" will feel like it's part of the game, as if Pandemic actually released it. The goal is to convert all Star Wars Battlefront I maps for Star Wars Battlefront II. BFU will be using stock sides, updating the maps graphically, adding the BF1 campaign, and integrating the converted maps into galactic conquest.

Other changes include, proper descriptions for the converted maps, white map names in the instant action menu, BF2 style mini-maps rather than BF1, and new high quality loadscreens for both BF2 and BF1 maps. Everything included will be packed into one addon folder to reduce clutter.

Following the completion of the mod, all final assets will be released to the community for everyone to use, just as Pandemic did for us so many years ago. This enables the community to easily create their own side mods using perfected map conversions.

Following the completion of the mod, all final assets will be released to the community for everyone to use, just as Pandemic did for us so many years ago. This enables the community to easily create their own side mods using perfected map conversions.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/star-wars-battlefront-united
If this looks interesting to you, please track the mod. :D
Quote: At times of chaos, humans are subjected to emotion rather than logic.

February 02, 2013, 04:48:04 PM #1 Last Edit: February 02, 2013, 04:49:53 PM by Phobos
I'm interested in the exact opposite idea --> converting as many BF2 units, maps, campaigns, and other stuff as possible into BF1, excluding what isn't possible. I'm sure we could make some progress in both of these projects if you are interested PM me. I think it would be great to convert more BF1 stuff to BF2 and vice versa 
:cheers:

Quote from: Phobos on February 02, 2013, 04:48:04 PM
I'm interested in the exact opposite idea --> converting as many BF2 units, maps, campaigns, and other stuff as possible into BF1, excluding what isn't possible. I'm sure we could make some progress in both of these projects if you are interested PM me. I think it would be great to convert more BF1 stuff to BF2 and vice versa 
:cheer: HEAR HEAR!!! I support this idea!!

February 02, 2013, 05:05:54 PM #3 Last Edit: February 02, 2013, 05:07:44 PM by -RepublicCommando-

I support this idea, and would be glad to help in zeroedit

Also, if someone can direct me to a tutorial on how to convert units of models, I would learn how to, and assist in that manner as well!

Hey that's not a bad idea, the mod is called "Star Wars Battlefront United" so why not both Battlefronts? Are you familiar with the BF2 mod tools at all? When we finish converting BF1 -> BF2 we'll move onto BF2 -> BF1. We could realllllyyy use more help converting the maps. Nedarb7 is currently the only experienced converter.

Quote from: -RepublicCommando- on February 02, 2013, 05:05:54 PM
I support this idea, and would be glad to help in zeroedit

Also, if someone can direct me to a tutorial on how to convert units of models, I would learn how to, and assist in that manner as well!

I'm handling the BF1 side conversion, it's almost done. Later on you can do the BF2 -> BF1 side conversion. :happy: If you know how to use the BF2 mod tools or at least zero editor. Take a look at this tutorial so you know what to do. http://www.gametoast.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=3574

I will PM you both the information to get started. Thanks so much! :D

If I'm mistaken, all of the SWBF1 maps were ported to SWBF 2 several years ago.

I can't say for the rest of the content but I do recall all the maps being ported.

#TYBG

It would be wise to use pre-converted maps. And look here for a lot of SWBFII to SWBFI assets by SK: http://www.swbfgamers.com/index.php?action=downloads;cat=14

Yup I found it:

http://starwarsbattlefront.filefront.com/file/Star_Wars_Battlefront_Conversion_Pack;94154

If you can something not shown in this mod, I wouldn't mind checking it out.

#TYBG

Quote from: Glitch on February 02, 2013, 05:53:45 PM
I'm handling the BF1 side conversion, it's almost done.
Good, I have no clue how to convert stuff into BF2, but I know a little bit about BF2 -to- BF1 sides.
QuoteLater on you can do the BF2 -> BF1 side conversion. :happy: If you know how to use the BF2 mod tools or at least zero editor. Take a look at this tutorial so you know what to do. http://www.gametoast.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=3574
I love the tutorial! Works quite well actually, I shall practice it a bit, before I do any major errors :P

I say use any tutorials for SWBFI modding on this site. Because they are most updated.  ;)

February 02, 2013, 06:36:16 PM #10 Last Edit: February 02, 2013, 06:50:49 PM by Glitch
Quote from: aeria. on February 02, 2013, 06:05:14 PM
Yup I found it:

http://starwarsbattlefront.filefront.com/file/Star_Wars_Battlefront_Conversion_Pack;94154

If you can something not shown in this mod, I wouldn't mind checking it out.

Marve4's BF1 Conversion
-Made way too many changes to the stock sides.
-Too many additional modes were added (Hero assault on all maps)
-Replaced the map description with credits
-Kept the map names yellow
-The maps were all separate making the addon folder that much cluttered
-He has only released conquest mission.lua's

Conversion Pack
-Too many additional modes were added
-Did not use stock sides, instead added custom ones
-Not simply a conversion pack, too many custom maps

None, or not enough of their assets were released, the community did not get the full benefit of these conversions. This mod aims to complete the conversion then release EVERYTHING to the community. We are also doing a few things differently than they did. No side changes to the converted maps, adding BF2 style mini-maps to the conversions, correct map descriptions, white map names in the instant action menu, improving map visuals, adding BF1 campaign, and integrating BF1 maps into galactic conquest.

Quote from: -RepublicCommando- on February 02, 2013, 06:16:05 PM
I love the tutorial! Works quite well actually, I shall practice it a bit, before I do any major errors :P

Great! Let me know when you get the hang of it.

Quote from: Glitch on February 02, 2013, 06:36:16 PM
None, or not enough of their assets were released, the community did not get the full benefit of these conversions. This mod aims to complete the conversion then release EVERYTHING to the community. We are also doing a few things differently than they did. No side changes to the converted maps, adding BF2 style mini-maps to the conversions, correct map descriptions, white map names in the instant action menu, improving map visuals, adding BF1 campaign, and integrating BF1 maps into galactic conquest.

Great! Let me know when you get the hang of it.
I would like to first focus on adding the BF2 exclusive stock maps to BF1 to make them stock (not interfere with addons). Campaigns can be worked on after this with much greater speed. I have already converted the BF2 flechette shotgun to BF1 with some other ODF visual adjustments, see
Most other bf2 weapons should be portable to bf1 to an extent.

SleepKiller and Sereja have made some excellent ports of BF2 maps which they have granted permission to use. Can someone list every map in BF2 that doesn't appear in BF1?

Getting all the maps centralized into the shell will be a good place to start. Once the BF2 to BF1 port is as completed as possible, we could release the new mod/patch/upgrade along with the assets in a structure similar to BFBuilder but with several new features and LVL builders implemented.

@Mods/Admins
I'm also wondering if we can discuss voiceover briefings and post links to WAVs for them here. I know its not allowed for the stock game music and sound effects because these are taken directly from the movie (with some altered as Fred mentioned). However, the voiceovers are not taken from the movies at all, pandemic had voice actors come to their studio to record the voiceover briefings. Since this is the case it seems like it shouldn't be EULA infringing to release voiceover briefing WAVs from BF1 and BF2 on this forum or modified LVLs containing them. Anyone know for certain about this?

If it is allowed then I will explain my ideas for porting the BF2 campaigns to BF1 and vice versa in greater detail.

February 02, 2013, 07:48:12 PM #13 Last Edit: February 02, 2013, 08:01:46 PM by Glitch
Quote from: Phobos on February 02, 2013, 07:17:44 PM
I would like to first focus on adding the BF2 exclusive stock maps to BF1 to make them stock (not interfere with addons). Campaigns can be worked on after this with much greater speed.

SleepKiller and Sereja have made some excellent ports of BF2 maps which they have granted permission to use. Can someone list every map in BF2 that doesn't appear in BF1?

I can list the exclusive BF2 maps.

Coruscant: Jedi Temple
Dagobah: Swamp
Felucia: Marshland
Geonosis: Dust Plains (CW Only)
Kamino: Clone Facility
Kashyyyk: Beachhead
Mustafar: Refinery
Mygeeto: War-Torn City
Naboo: Theed (Night, randomization between night and day)
Polis Massa: Medical Facility
Tantive IV: Interior
Utapau: Sinkhole

Would you like to lead the BF2 -> BF1 project? (I'm leading the BF1 -> BF2 project) We could work on both, but BF1 -> BF2 is my highest priority because we started this already.

Quote from: Glitch on February 02, 2013, 07:48:12 PM
I can list the exclusive BF2 maps. Would you like to lead the BF2 -> BF1 project? We could work on both, but BF1 -> BF2 is my highest priority because we started this already.

Phobos would be the best choice leader for that project, IMO.