SWBF1 Fatal Error

Started by {TcF}Dr.Penguin, July 26, 2012, 02:11:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
When ever I try to run SWBF1 It has a fatal error, it also happens when I try to run SWBF2, can any one help me? Should I un-install my games? Thank you!

yea i think un-installing it then re-installing it should do the trick for both games :tu:
Proud [Freelancer Consortium] Member! [FC]Leader.Helios

No, at first try to update your videocard driver.

Most of these problems are outdated drivers ;)

Updating video card drivers is free. It just means downloading the latest software, although sometimes newer isn't better for an 8 year old game. :)
I play less now but I'll always be around, lets keep this site and battlefront going. :)

If the game was working then stopped, I don't see how video drivers would be the problem.

Un-installing then re-installing sounds like the best way.

Well I resinstalled my SWBF2 and it still won't work, also I noticed when I had the SWBF1 Menu analyse my computer it said it "Display devices - 3D Hardware - No 3D Hardware - Failed" Could that have any thing to do with my problem? Also I tried downloading a update or at least I think it was a update and nothing changed, so I don't know what to do

July 27, 2012, 10:13:45 AM #7 Last Edit: July 27, 2012, 10:30:34 AM by [TWA] Scàrecròw
If it says: 3D Hardware and so on, then (im sure) it is your driver, try to update it again

July 27, 2012, 10:42:17 AM #8 Last Edit: July 27, 2012, 10:49:40 AM by {TcF}Dr.Penguin
I tried installing something that claimed it would fix the 3D Hardware but nothing happened, are there any web sites I should look at? I don't want to get a virus from downloading fake 3D hardware.

The place to get drivers for your video card is the video card manfaturer's website.

They will typically have them in the support area of thier site.

Oh thanks, how do you tell which manufacture made your video card?

On Win XP ( I don't know if they changed this for vista, 7 ect...)

Right click on a blank part off your decktop and select properties
Select the setting's tab across the top.
Hit the Advanced button.
Select the Adapter tab.
Hit the properties button next to your Video Card's model name.
That will finally bring up a page that says "Maufacturer: "

You should be able to google the name to find thier website.
Search thier support section or downloads area for your Video Card's model, and get the latest version of the drivers they offer.

Well I did it! But everything is unknown :(

July 27, 2012, 01:31:46 PM #13 Last Edit: July 27, 2012, 01:33:58 PM by tirpider
Wow.
So it sounds like the driver is just not there. (and windows is just using some default vga driver)

You have to identify the video card to install the proper driver.
I havent worked on pc's in decades, so I don't know if there are any utilities that can identify it from within windows.

Some oem manufacturers have utilities installed to help you reinstall drivers.
It's different for every model, but they are usually on the Start menu somewhere and should be labeled "Toshiba Utilities" or something like that with the mfgrs name.

A sure way would be to open the case and find the card that your video cable from your monitor is attached to, and see if the manufacturer put thier name one it.
(be carefull and touch as little as possible. Treat everything in it like it was made of glass spikes you don't want to break or cut yourself on.)
If you don't feel comfortable opening the machine, find a tech buddy to help out.

If you are on a laptop or a branded desktop, you could go to thier website and check the specs there.
If this is the case, then that would also be the best place to get the drivers since after-market producers rarely support oem equipment.

In short, if this is a custom or upgraded machine, the open the case to find the card name. Then track the drivers down from there.
If it is a laptop or a branded desktop (dell, IBM, HP, ect...) then check thier site for support and/or drivers.

Ok I think I went to the company who made my computers web site and found a driver download section for XP, but there are no drivers that say specifically  "video card driver" or any thing like that, should I just download all the updates and hope it works?