[TUTORIAL] Can't open projects--here is what you can do

Started by Snake, May 13, 2012, 01:15:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
BFBuilder and BFBuilder Pro have randomly decided to not let me open my projects it just shows a blank bar where it should say the Datamodid's... Anyone know a fix?
=AaTc= Forever

SALLY....

-Retired Modder

It hapens with me some times ago, and to fix this, I have to reinstall windows. But here the trick, how to open project without map list:
For example your map name is DataABC.
1. Rename the folder to DataABC0
2. Open new project DataABC
3. Delite new folder, and rename your DataABC0 to DataABC.
Beauty is, the way to perfection.

Glory to Ukraine!  :mf:

Too many folders, or folders with names that BFBuilder can't handle. Solution is to temporarily move all unneeded folders (basically everything except your data map, tools, assets. etc) that works for me when I get bfbuilder errors usually

Full Proof Solution: I do not get why Pandemic chose to code BFBuilder as a HTML Application since it seems to act up a lot. But once you have created a project folder, you never have to touch BFBuilder again. You can open up ZeroEditor in the project folder manually and load the world manually by clicking on the button that has Load written on it in the upper left hand corner.

When editing sides copy over the Side you want to edit from the Assets folder or just create a folder in Sides call it what you want. In your project folder go into _BUILD_PC click on munge.bat and press edit. (You will need to go into the properties of the file and make it writeable.) Find these lines,

REM cd GAM
REM   @call munge.bat
REM cd ..

Copy them and paste them right below these and remove the REM from the front of all of them. Change GAM to the name of your side. ALL, CIS, etc etc

Stay in this folder and go into sides in here. Create a folder that has the name of your side, go into it nake a folder called Munged. Then go and make a new txt file in this folder. Put in it this,

@call ..\munge_side.bat Gam
@call ..\munge_fpm.bat Gam

Changing Gam to the name of your side. Save as Munge.bat (Very important to add the .bat onto the end.)

Now in the same file erase everything and put in,
del /q Munged\*.*
Save as clean.bat

Go back up to the Sides in _BUILD_PC and click on Clean and press edit on it (You will probably need to make it writeable.) in it it will either be a blank file or it will look like this.

cd GAM
  @call clean.bat
cd ..

If it is a blank file copy the above code into it. Change GAM to the name of your side and save.

You have now created sides manually. Repeat the same process for creating other sides.

Now when munging and cleaning just use the bats beside ZeroEditor. If yu are on a 64-Bit PC click on munge.bat and press Edit it should look like this. (Thanks to Bamdur for this fix.)

cd _build_pc
@call munge.bat
cd ..

if EXIST MungeLog.txt Notepad.exe Mungelog.txt

Echo Done Munging, Potential errors can be found in Mungelog.txt
PAUSE

Press enter at the start of the top line. Now on the new top line type.

@set path=C:/Windows/System32/ you can now munge to your hearts content.

Dang.. all that extra work just to do normal things. :/ But why did it happen? I mean i didnt do anything new, I have the same amount of Datamodid files as before when it was working. However, there is a very low amount of disk space on my PC atm, could that be it?
=AaTc= Forever

SALLY....

-Retired Modder

Quote from: SnΛke on May 13, 2012, 06:10:32 PM
Dang.. all that extra work just to do normal things. :/ But why did it happen? I mean i didnt do anything new, I have the same amount of Datamodid files as before when it was working. However, there is a very low amount of disk space on my PC atm, could that be it?
It actually isn't that much work to do, don't let your mind make you think it is. I used to have to do this all the time when I was working on SWBF Renewed. And disk space doesn't have anything to do with this, I get this error as well and I have plenty of disk space left.

A simpler solution I found was to take out anything you need out of your bfbuilder (ModIDData files, BFBuilder Pro, etc.) and put it in a folder on your desktop, delete BFBuilder folder, redownload mod tools, put everything back in the new BFBuilder folder, it works! I still dont know why it does that in the first place though..
=AaTc= Forever

SALLY....

-Retired Modder