Author Topic: How to use assets? [SOLVED]  (Read 441 times)

Vicc95

• View Profile
    • Awards
How to use assets? [SOLVED]
« on: May 22, 2020, 07:04:29 PM »
Hi! New noob here. First of all, sorry about my english, im brazilian.

I've been following some wonderful tuts of this site and i managed to fulfill a childhood dream since i played SWBF2 on PS2: equip the blaster rifle on the jet trooper. ("simple", huh? hahaha).

Im trying to learn more about modding, so i downloaded some assests here FOR PERSONAL USE (they were released to the public).

Im tried to use the Doom squad skin that is available on this site, but it doesnt work for me. I extracted the .msh and .tga files to data_ABC(my map name)\sides\rep\msh folder but it doesnt work. When i load a map, the clone trooper still has the vanilla 501st skin.

If im not asking too much, please, can someone tell me what must I do to make it work?
Thanks in advance!
« Last Edit: May 26, 2020, 05:47:46 AM by Vicc95 »

swbfgamtemp

• View Profile
    • Awards
Re: How to use assets?
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2020, 03:54:35 AM »
Hi! New noob here. First of all, sorry about my english, im brazilian.

I've been following some wonderful tuts of this site and i managed to fulfill a childhood dream since i played SWBF2 on PS2: equip the blaster rifle on the jet trooper. ("simple", huh? hahaha).

Im trying to learn more about modding, so i downloaded some assests here FOR PERSONAL USE (they were released to the public).

Im tried to use the Doom squad skin that is available on this site, but it doesnt work for me. I extracted the .msh and .tga files to data_ABC(my map name)\sides\rep\msh folder but it doesnt work. When i load a map, the clone trooper still has the vanilla 501st skin.

If im not asking too much, please, can someone tell me what must I do to make it work?
Thanks in advance!
Hello, you have to copy the sides you need from the assets folder to the sides folder of your world, also the Common folder and then add the .msh and .tga files of the asset that you downloaded to the rep folder of your world, after that double-click Modtools VisualMunge.exe in the _BUILD folder of your world and in the drop-down where says Sides click on rep and without touching anything else click on Munge (ignore the errors), then again in the drop-down click on EVERYTHING but unchecking the Common box, then click on Munge again, then pick up the file rep.lvl and repshell.lvl from _LVL_PC and put it in the sides folder of your game, the rep folder in this case.

I hope I'm not wrong...

I discovered it in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=REt4uCIaP1M, I am also a noob, greetings from Spain.

PS: I also think that the jet trooper is better with a blaster rifle. ;)
« Last Edit: May 23, 2020, 04:18:18 AM by swbfgamtemp »

Vicc95

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2020, 08:09:56 AM »
Muchas gracias amigo por tu atencion
I did what you described, but nothing changed. The trooper still has the vanilla 501st skin.
I dont know if they are not mungged, or if the game simply doesnt read the new textures.

I tried to use the command OverrideTexture, but the unit became all black.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2020, 08:11:40 AM by Vicc95 »

swbfgamtemp

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2020, 08:16:55 AM »
Muchas gracias amigo por tu atencion
I did what you described, but nothing changed. The trooper still has the vanilla 501st skin.
I dont know if they are not mungged, or if the game simply doesnt read the new textures.

I tried to use the command OverrideTexture, but the unit became all black.
It is strange, you see I modify BF1 (it has limitations but I like it more than BF2) and in BF2 I only tried to change models and textures a few times, what I can tell you is that you see the video if there is something left, it can also be that you were wrong in the process.

Vicc95

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2020, 08:20:15 AM »
Im wathcing the video now. I'll start from scratch to see if I did anything wrong.

Thx for the attention!

swbfgamtemp

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2020, 08:24:06 AM »
Im wathcing the video now. I'll start from scratch to see if I did anything wrong.

Thx for the attention!
You're welcome, when modifying you have to try again and again, you will fail many times, but when something goes well it is very satisfactory, I assure you.

Vicc95

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2020, 09:56:11 AM »
Sadly, nothing changed. It's so frustrating...

When I successfully changed the jet trooper weapon,i bursted like a child. But i cant change a "simple" skin. It annoys me.  :(

swbfgamtemp

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2020, 10:58:36 AM »
Sadly, nothing changed. It's so frustrating...

When I successfully changed the jet trooper weapon,i bursted like a child. But i cant change a "simple" skin. It annoys me.  :(
Ok, I just didn't explain it to you.

1 - Create your world - ABC in "C:\BF2_ModTools\data\_BUILD" double-click on "Modtools VisualMunge.exe"

3-Letter World Name: ABC - Full World Name: ABC - World Description: ABC

Then click on Munge.

2 - Copy assets from "C:\BF2_ModTools\assets\sides" (rep and Common, or anyone you want to change something to but Common should always be copied) to "C:\BF2_ModTools\data_ABC\Sides".

3 - Add your .msh and .tga to rep or to whatever you are modifying.

4 - Edit the .odf in "C:\BF2_ModTools\data_ABC\Sides\rep"

This is an example, if you want to replace a unit, like the clone trooper from episode 3 you should modify this:

rep_inf_ep3_rifleman.odf (this is the .odf)

[GameObjectClass]
ClassParent = "rep_inf_default_rifleman"

[Properties]
GeometryName = "rep_inf_ep3trooper" - Rename it to the .msh file (but without the .msh)
GeometryLowRes = "rep_inf_ep3trooper_low1" - If the .msh has a _low1 put the name, which would be the same as the .msh but with low1 before the file extension.
FirstPerson = "REP\reptroop;rep_1st_trooper" - This is to change the first person view.

5 - Create rep.lvl and repshell.lvl in "C:\BF2_ModTools\data_ABC\_BUILD" double click on "Modtools VisualMunge.exe"

In the drop-down where says Sides click on rep or any one you want to modify.

Without unchecking Common in the box, click on Munge.

Then in the drop-down where says Sides click on EVERYTHING.

Unchecking Common in the box. click on Munge.

6 - Take rep.lvl and repshell.lvl in "C:\BF2_ModTools\data_ABC\_LVL_PC\SIDE"

7 - Done, now replace the sides in "C:\Program Files (x86)\LucasArts\Star Wars Battlefront II\GameData\data\_lvl_pc\side" (my game is the disk version, if you have another version look where you installed)

I hope this helps you and I also hope I don't forget anything this time, let me know how it went.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2020, 12:51:25 PM by swbfgamtemp »

Vicc95

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2020, 12:36:11 PM »
Thank you, my friend.

Did everything like you said,but nothing happened.

I extracted the ".tga" and ".msh" files to data_ABC\sides\rep\msh

The .tga doesnt have the same name as the ".odf" of the trooper its replacing. The ".msh" file has, and I replaced the vanilla one.

It seems the game is not reading the texture and is, instead, reading the vanilla even if I replaced it with the texture i want.

Also, when I add  the OverrideTexture command in the unit ".odf", the unit becomes all black.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2020, 12:39:23 PM by Vicc95 »

swbfgamtemp

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2020, 12:38:59 PM »
Thank you, my friend.

Did everything like you said,but nothing happened.

I extracted the ".tga" and ".msh" files to data_ABC\sides\rep\msh

The .tga doesnt have the same name as the ".odf" of the trooper its replacing. The ".msh" file has, and I replaced the vanilla one.
Tell me the name of the .msh of the asset you downloaded.

Vicc95

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2020, 12:40:06 PM »
Tell me the name of the .msh of the asset you downloaded.

From this ".rar" file.

swbfgamtemp

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2020, 12:49:42 PM »
From this ".rar" file.
Put it all in the MSH folder and then add this to rep_inf_ep3_rifleman.odf:

[GameObjectClass]
ClassParent = "rep_inf_default_rifleman"

[Properties]
GeometryName = "rep_inf_ep3trooper"
GeometryLowRes = "rep_inf_ep3trooper_low1"
FirstPerson = "REP\reptroop;rep_1st_trooper"

OverrideTexture = "P2CloneTrooperRifle"

Vicc95

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2020, 12:57:16 PM »
Nothing. Still the boring vanilla 501st trooper. :(

The .tga and .msh files are in msh folder.

I've attached my .odf.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2020, 12:59:06 PM by Vicc95 »

swbfgamtemp

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2020, 01:01:05 PM »
Nothing. Still the boring vanilla 501st trooper. :(
I was wrong that mesh is not compatible with override texture, but by replacing the default mesh you should have it, I have added Commander Cody right now replacing the Clone Commander and played in Geonosis with the Cody from EP3, I don't understand.

Vicc95

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2020, 01:04:17 PM »
Might it be related to UAC? I have Windows 10.
If a msh is not compatible with OverrideTexture, will it become black ingame?

You just replaced the mesh? And munged? I donw know why my game is not loading external textures. It just load the vanilla textures no matter what. :(

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2020, SimplePortal