WARNING: BACK UP GAME (Steam Update Advice)

Started by iamastupid, October 02, 2017, 11:51:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

iamastupid

WARNING
Back up your modded game of BF2 before installing the latest GOG update for Steam BF2, I know it readds multiplayer but it breaks a lots of mods (1.3, Dark Times, Conv Pack, Legcay, Skin Changer, Fake Console, Custom Eras and Ultimate Pack)
Some people will just say reinstall the mods but the new multiplayer is completely broken for most players atm, meaning in the future there will be lots more updates which will continue to break them, also validating game files will now have a strong chance of breaking these mods again as well as the new master server apparently has anti-cheat which also attacks mods, or so I've been told. Basically this is a huge blow atm to bf2 modding and I cannot stress how important disc copies and back-ups are right now.

Please be aware.

Personal recommendation: Back up a copy of the Ultimate Pack version since it's the disc version and comes with lots o mods.

1ИCΘ6И17Θ

Since most dudes are in a Larvae like state about steam and can't do anything without it, I guess it'll break a lot of the gaming community, and a part of the com itself, clever move from EA...
Also, check out my total conversion for BF1: Ferocious Battlefront
http://www.moddb.com/mods/ferocious-battlefront

RELEASE INCOMING

Led

Quote from: Incognito on October 02, 2017, 01:41:11 PM
Since most dudes are in a Larvae like state about steam and can't do anything without it, I guess it'll break a lot of the gaming community, and a part of the com itself, clever move from EA...

There is not much SWBF2 community left anyway, so I see this as a good move.  Too bad they can't/won't/didn't put SWBF1 on steam...
Quote from: Abraham Lincoln. on November 04, 1971, 12:34:40 PM
Don't believe everything you read on the internet

Unit 33

Quote from: Led on October 02, 2017, 02:09:48 PM
Too bad they can't/won't/didn't put SWBF1 on steam...

Is there a particular reason why they wouldn't?
I think someone here gave a good, solid reason once, but I've forgotten.

Ultimo

I'm betting there would be too much of a dispute over who owns the assets to the original game at this point.

1ИCΘ6И17Θ

Quote from: Led on October 02, 2017, 02:09:48 PM
There is not much SWBF2 community left anyway, so I see this as a good move.  Too bad they can't/won't/didn't put SWBF1 on steam...
I would be glad of this if I were you, at least some ground remains for the free community, I take it as tremendous releif personally.
Also, check out my total conversion for BF1: Ferocious Battlefront
http://www.moddb.com/mods/ferocious-battlefront

RELEASE INCOMING

Led

Quote from: Unit 33 on October 02, 2017, 02:16:41 PM
Is there a particular reason why they wouldn't?
I think someone here gave a good, solid reason once, but I've forgotten.

SWBF1 had disk based DRM.   SWBF2 doesn't.
Quote from: Abraham Lincoln. on November 04, 1971, 12:34:40 PM
Don't believe everything you read on the internet

Giftheck

Quote from: Ultimo on October 02, 2017, 02:19:06 PM
I'm betting there would be too much of a dispute over who owns the assets to the original game at this point.

Why would that be the case? LucasFilm owns the assets because they absorbed LucasArts after shutting it down, and LucasArts owned the rights to the entire game outright as they only contracted Pandemic to create Battlefront. In either case, lucasFilm owns the rights, and EA owns whatever is left of Pandemic, so...

I think it's more or less an issue of whether the source code could be salvaged in any way.
Works in Progress:
--Star Wars: Battlefront 1.25: "First Order-Resistance War Expansion"
--Main Play Mod Reboot
--PSP Map conversions
--DICE Edition for SWBF2
--And more!

Led

Quote from: Gistech on October 02, 2017, 03:36:17 PM
Why would that be the case? LucasFilm owns the assets because they absorbed LucasArts after shutting it down, and LucasArts owned the rights to the entire game outright as they only contracted Pandemic to create Battlefront. In either case, lucasFilm owns the rights, and EA owns whatever is left of Pandemic, so...

I think it's more or less an issue of whether the source code could be salvaged in any way.

Sometimes Ultimo just types things...   ;)
Quote from: Abraham Lincoln. on November 04, 1971, 12:34:40 PM
Don't believe everything you read on the internet

Ultimo

Do I really present myself as that much of an unreliable person to yall?

Blur

Thanks for the advice. Damn, can't believe that it breaks unofficial 1.3... guess we have to look at the silly award effects now  :slap:
"Join the empire they said, see the galaxy...riiiiiiiiight."

                                                                - jaded stormtrooper

SleepKiller

Quote from: iamastupid on October 02, 2017, 11:51:24 AM
as well as the new master server apparently has anti-cheat which also attacks mods, or so I've been told.
About time as well if it is the case. The amount of ways you can cheat in SWBF/SWBFII with simple mods is insane; it would hardly surprise me if they added measures to lock down the game's original files.

As for breaking mods in all circumstances, they very likely didn't mean to and it was likely a side-effect of changes they made.

Linux user Awesome

Quote from: Unit 33 on October 02, 2017, 02:16:41 PM
Is there a particular reason why they wouldn't?
I think someone here gave a good, solid reason once, but I've forgotten.

Well I have a reason to say. probally not a very good one but here we go.

I figure if steam were to put SWBF1 on there site for free download alot of people would want to try it and than after they play that it would get them curios about SWBF2 so than they must try that and we would get more swbf1 and 2 players here.... maybe

Okay now that I said what i wanted to you can tell me all the many things wrong with this.

and you now what this is all of topic. sorry I just heard SWBF1 on steam and got carred away  :shrug:
maybe i need a "get SWBF1 on steam" thread.  :P

anyway the point is we need to back up steam SWBF2 so GOG update will not wreck all/most of its mods. correct?

well good day evreyone!
"a tool is a tool, it isn't inherently evil or good." -Sleep killer

StoneCold

Quote from: Led on October 02, 2017, 02:21:23 PM
SWBF1 had disk based DRM.   SWBF2 doesn't.

Seeing that they renamed the game as "Star Wars: Battlefront 2 (Classic, 2005)" , why can't they put up the original one as "Star Wars: Battlefront 1 (Classic, 2004)" then?  ???

Guess, it's time we stir the pot and try and contact Disney. If it's only the DRM of the original keeping them from putting it on Steam / GOG, then they should really get with the times. I'll buy BF1 in a heart beat if they put it on Steam tomorrow as I prefer BF1 over BF2 personally  8)

Shaking_Sniper

Do you think SWBF 1 will ever become abandonware? They won't put it up on Steam.
Huge Weeb+Semi-Audiophile+Mediocre Gamer (Web Games for days)+Garage Rock Revival Enthusiast (J-rock too)+Lover of Nippon+Tamiya Hobbyist+Lover of Bass Guitars (Wannabe Bassist)+Terrible Keyboardist (HATEIT)+Maths and Physics 4EVER+Tanker+AMD Fan Boy+Lover of my Man Jesus+IOS Jailbreak Enthusiast=ME