login

Author Topic: A question about the minimum bandwidth necessary for SWBF multiplayer.  (Read 222 times)

i|\|(06|\|i70

• Illuminati Modder
  • Frequent Poster
  • On the battlefront since 2009
  • Awards Special Award for those that play the original SWBF Special Award for those that play SWBF2
    • View Profile
    • Incog's realm
    • Awards
Hello there !

So I start to be interested into joining into the multiplayer competition but I have a major issue, my connnection will barely reach 100 kbps and my network configuration gives me the ping of a random dude from Australia, so the question is, do I have any chances to play Battlefront online or am I stuck into playing LAN sessions until I move somewhere else ?

Also, check out my total conversion for BF1: Ferocious Battlefront
http://www.moddb.com/mods/ferocious-battlefront

Anyder

• Learning Manager
  • Community Ambassador
  • Lavish Poster
  • Awards DET1-admin To recognize Modders that make a most excellent contribution within the Month SWBF LeaderBoards 2-first ICW4 Winner A member of the winning team of ICW6 Recognizes someone who most generously donated funds to the site or the site Special Award for players of the EA's SWBF (2015)
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Steam ID:
  • Origin ID: AnyderMotionless
Re: A question about the minimum bandwidth necessary for SWBF multiplayer.
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2017, 04:56:34 AM »
Hello there !

So I start to be interested into joining into the multiplayer competition but I have a major issue, my connnection will barely reach 100 kbps and my network configuration gives me the ping of a random dude from Australia, so the question is, do I have any chances to play Battlefront online or am I stuck into playing LAN sessions until I move somewhere else ?
If u were able to back back to when Gamespy was up and running, u should be able to play now too. There is no minimum internet speed AFAIK.
| SWBFSpy Manager | Learning Manager & SWBFSpy Engagement | communityambassador@swbfgamers.com

| WhatsApp: +34 602 67 61 20

SWBFSpy Info Website: http://info.swbfspy.com

"Never stop learning"

Led

• Administrator
  • The Chosen One
  • The 82nd Element
  • Awards Special Award for players of the EA's SWBF (2015) Special Award for those that play the original SWBF
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Steam ID:
  • Tunngle ID: _PLA-Led
  • Origin ID: plaled
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2017, 05:35:11 AM »
I think he means would his speed make for a playable experience.  I think it would be difficult, but find a server that is geographically close to you and give it a try.
Don't believe everything you read on the internet

Anyder

• Learning Manager
  • Community Ambassador
  • Lavish Poster
  • Awards DET1-admin To recognize Modders that make a most excellent contribution within the Month SWBF LeaderBoards 2-first ICW4 Winner A member of the winning team of ICW6 Recognizes someone who most generously donated funds to the site or the site Special Award for players of the EA's SWBF (2015)
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Steam ID:
  • Origin ID: AnyderMotionless
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2017, 06:28:06 AM »
I think he means would his speed make for a playable experience.  I think it would be difficult, but find a server that is geographically close to you and give it a try.
I know, but Kiwi is from Australia and he is able to play, although I do not know what his internet speed is...
| SWBFSpy Manager | Learning Manager & SWBFSpy Engagement | communityambassador@swbfgamers.com

| WhatsApp: +34 602 67 61 20

SWBFSpy Info Website: http://info.swbfspy.com

"Never stop learning"

i|\|(06|\|i70

• Illuminati Modder
  • Frequent Poster
  • Awards Special Award for those that play the original SWBF Special Award for those that play SWBF2
    • View Profile
    • Incog's realm
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2017, 09:14:20 AM »

Oh damn, it was what I was affraid of, even DooM 1 tends to lag on multiplayer here, oh very well, I guess I'd have to work on a server to be able to play normally.

Dark_Phantom

• The Official Ghost
  • Moderators
  • Advanced Member
  • Awards To recognize Modders that make a most excellent contribution within the Month A member of the winning team of ICW6 A member of the winning team of ICW5 Administered events in ICW5 Special Award for those that play the original SWBF ICW4 Participant Recognizes someone who most generously donated funds to the site or the site ICW3 Participant Recognizes a winner of an Amateur Modding Contest on this site.
    • View Profile
    • The BOBclan
    • Awards
  • PSN: phantom567459
  • Steam ID:
  • Origin ID: phantom567459
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2017, 06:49:23 PM »
I played on a 56k dialup modem for years.  Not impossible, you just have to be patient with it, and realize that you aren't going to be the most precise player out there.  Eventually, lag can become (somewhat) predictable.
The BOBclan:  A Rich History

'Please, tell me more about the logistics of the design of laser swords being wielded by space wizards' - Some guy on the internet.

xMichael

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2017, 10:02:27 AM »
the distance to the server is more important than your speed as even 100kbit should be enough (assuming you do not lose packets)
do a ping test and if you have less than 100 ping to the server then its good, 100-200 will be laggy but playable (hard to play) 200+ will be very laggy

[SWBFspy][Alpha]Drunken_Master

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2017, 11:00:36 AM »
Consistent latency is the key; even with +200ms latency the more consistent it is the more you can predict the latency and even learn to use it to your advantage. 

i|\|(06|\|i70

• Illuminati Modder
  • Frequent Poster
    • View Profile
    • Incog's realm
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2017, 02:29:38 AM »
Okay dudes, thanks for the tips, i think I'm gonna record a video about it in shortly.