Export models from SWBF2 to another game?

Started by GuyDudeTR, September 08, 2016, 03:48:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hello all, then here we are, I create this topic for ask for help and to have answers to my questions.

I play Garry's game Mod a lot, (2,000 hours), and I would like exported the 3D models from SWBF2 on Garry Mod, as playermodel, of the blow I would at first like to know if with putting credits,i can use them, I am moreover very fan of star wars (and have play a long times of sw games) and I would really like to enrich Garry Mod's workshop for every fans of star wars!
I also make addons for Garry's Mod (Star Wars)

(Sorry for my bad english, im french.)

This would probably be better in the requests area next time.

I personally despise Garry's Mod and have done for a long time now due to how bad it has become. However I believe it should still be the same.
From what I remember, grab the model from SWBF2 (modders here can be of more help) and change it to the correct file format (if needed) required by source. Then you have to import it following these steps:
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=142457190
(This is for Left 4 Dead, however I believe a similar process is done as it runs from the same engine)

Sorry I can't be of much help, hopefully someone else has better advice
Feel free to contact me on Steam, I answer instantly (Unless I'm offline):<br /><br />YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/roblox751123

We can't really say if you can use them or not.  They are not ours.

All you assets belong to Disney.

If they come after you, don't blame us  ;)

Quote from: Abraham Lincoln. on November 04, 1971, 12:34:40 PM
Don't believe everything you read on the internet

Quote from: TheGangstarTY on September 08, 2016, 04:16:07 PM
This would probably be better in the requests area next time.

I personally despise Garry's Mod and have done for a long time now due to how bad it has become. However I believe it should still be the same.
From what I remember, grab the model from SWBF2 (modders here can be of more help) and change it to the correct file format (if needed) required by source. Then you have to import it following these steps:
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=142457190
(This is for Left 4 Dead, however I believe a similar process is done as it runs from the same engine)

Sorry I can't be of much help, hopefully someone else has better advice

When you speak about the evil, when you mean?
Then, there is already somebody who has upload the models of base of Battlefront 2 (Clones, Imperial, Droides etc.), but I more came to see you about the skins which are not even as those of Clone Wars Era Mod, the problem it is that I do not find models 3D to use by the latter .. why do I need 3D models? To add for example the antenna on the helmet of the basic soldier or then for create the RT-TT Pilot which is not in Battlefront 2 of base .. here we are, etc. for the tutorial which you have me to send I am going to go to see.

(Roughly for the moment that I need knowledge it is where to find models 3D to use in mods battlefront2.)

If you don't have understand me i can explain you what i really want ^^

Quote from: Led on September 08, 2016, 04:44:39 PM
We can't really say if you can use them or not.  They are not ours.

All you assets belong to Disney.

If they come after you, don't blame us  ;)

I know that but Disney don't have right on the Steam Workshop ^^

Quote from: GuyDudeTR on September 08, 2016, 04:54:22 PM

I know that but Disney don't have right on the Steam Workshop ^^

well, I'm not sure that will save you, but good luck.

Quote from: Led on September 08, 2016, 05:53:16 PM
well, I'm not sure that will save you, but good luck.

There is a lot of Star Wars Content from Disney in the Workshop.. since 2 - 3 years now ^^ And everytime Disney have try to do something with the Workshop they had no right

What this dude says about the Steam workshop is right, Disney in any way or form have no right to the workshop.

That workshop counts everything on it under fair use, and Disney can contact the owner and request for it to be taken down.
But, that person could simply decline their offer and say that it's under fair use, but we all know that Disney doesn't like the term 'Fair use'

But, I'm not saying I support this at all I'm just saying that the old SWBF games have mods being made for them today, if Disney didn't like it, then they would've taken action.

But they can't as the game wasn't originally made by them, so they don't have that many rights to stop people. Even though they own the license, it still goes under the fair use act.

https://www.copyrightservice.co.uk/copyright/p09_fair_use
This is the fairuse act from the UK, I never like posting links to wiki because wiki is unreliable.
The years just fly past, don't they?

Quote from: Darth Nyx on September 09, 2016, 06:08:36 AM
What this dude says about the Steam workshop is right, Disney in any way or form have no right to the workshop.

That workshop counts everything on it under fair use, and Disney can contact the owner and request for it to be taken down.
But, that person could simply decline their offer and say that it's under fair use, but we all know that Disney doesn't like the term 'Fair use'

But, I'm not saying I support this at all I'm just saying that the old SWBF games have mods being made for them today, if Disney didn't like it, then they would've taken action.

But they can't as the game wasn't originally made by them, so they don't have that many rights to stop people. Even though they own the license, it still goes under the fair use act.

https://www.copyrightservice.co.uk/copyright/p09_fair_use
This is the fairuse act from the UK, I never like posting links to wiki because wiki is unreliable.

Apparently to be really in the legality and have no problem with Disney its to buy  Star Wars license, that of course, nobody can get himself of at the price(prize) (rumor), however Disney already had to try to attack a "Publisher" on the Workshop, that makes a few months maintaining that Disney has apparently release it fuss.
Why? Simply: https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc/4.0/

(Rumors)

Quote from: Darth Nyx on September 09, 2016, 06:08:36 AM

The mod tools for SWBF and SWBF2 (2004/2005) have very clear terms on what is allowed and what is not allowed.

Do what you will, you take on the risk. 

However, items that violate the conditions in the mod tools will not be allowed on this website.

Quote from: Led on September 09, 2016, 07:53:32 AM
The mod tools for SWBF and SWBF2 (2004/2005) have very clear terms on what is allowed and what is not allowed.

Do what you will, you take on the risk. 

However, items that violate the conditions in the mod tools will not be allowed on this website.

I wasn't saying I was going to do any of that anyway, I've got college coming up so I'm way too busy.

And this isn't about this website, it's about the Steam workshop. If Steam themselves were supporting that SWBF project by Frontwire studios, then clearly Steam didn't care about what Disney thought. But sadly, EA ruined it.
The years just fly past, don't they?