Hosting a SWBF2 Server on SWBFSpy Using Dedicated Server Software

Started by Auggie, July 11, 2016, 08:49:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
I want to try to set up a SWBF2 server on SWBFSpy using the dedicated server software, so I actually know how to do it before buying the VPS. I need a step-by-step tutorial (as detailed as possible) that covers everything from getting the SWBF2 dedicated server software to portforwarding. I'm not very server savvy, so after looking around the forums for how to do it, I got really confused about what dedicated server software I need that will work with SWBFSpy, how to set up the server, and how/where to portforward for Battlefront II. Please don't just link me to other forum posts. If you can, compile (copy/paste) all the steps, information, and download links into 1 reply.

So far, all I have is SWBFSpy installed.

All I could find on this forum was the SWBF1 dedicated server software on a post from 2009, so I had to find the SWBF2 dedicated server software on some website (does the original dedicated server software made for GameSpy work for SWBFSpy?). I installed it and started it in DSManager without any configuration but didn't see it in the server browser on Battlefront II SWBFSpy. I thought I might just need to port forward but where do I do it? Do I port forward in Windows, or in my router, or both? And what are the ports I need to open for Battlefront II multiplayer? I want to start from scratch though, so I deleted everything.

In short, this seems very complicated to me, so please be very thorough in your tutorial.

edit:  Okay, I figured out how to portforward on my router and on my firewall. All I need to know is just what ports to open. I'm sure that saves a lot of explaining.

Note:  Please edit your post instead of double posting.

We do have SWBF2 server software here, and yes, you will need to update your server for SWBFspy or use the hosts file method.

Here is the SWBF2 server software:
http://www.swbfgamers.com/index.php?action=downloads;sa=view;down=1390

After it is installed, you will need to apply the SWBFspy server patch.

Here is the SWBF2 server patched exe file:
http://www.swbfgamers.com/index.php?action=downloads;sa=view;down=1387

The ports to open are the same ones for SWBF that you found in my post about hosting SWBF.

Note that with a rented server from NFO, you will not need to do any port forwarding.  However, you will need to learn to use Remote Desktop (a windows program).
Quote from: Abraham Lincoln. on November 04, 1971, 12:34:40 PM
Don't believe everything you read on the internet

I got it to work! That was actually really easy apart from the tedious port forwarding process which I wouldn't have to do anyway on a VPS. Thanks!

Quote from: Led on July 13, 2016, 02:18:12 AM
Note:  Please edit your post instead of double posting.

We do have SWBF2 server software here, and yes, you will need to update your server for SWBFspy or use the hosts file method.

Here is the SWBF2 server software:
http://www.swbfgamers.com/index.php?action=downloads;sa=view;down=1390

After it is installed, you will need to apply the SWBFspy server patch.

Here is the SWBF2 server patched exe file:
http://www.swbfgamers.com/index.php?action=downloads;sa=view;down=1387

The ports to open are the same ones for SWBF that you found in my post about hosting SWBF.

Note that with a rented server from NFO, you will not need to do any port forwarding.  However, you will need to learn to use Remote Desktop (a windows program).

Remote Desktop is a type of Virtual Machine?

Quote from: Jean on July 13, 2016, 04:07:19 PM

Remote Desktop is a type of Virtual Machine?

No, it establishes a remote connection to the computer so you can see the desktop on the remote computer.

Teamviewer is free for non-commercial use as an alternative to remote desktop.  With remote desktop (aka RDP) you should restrict failed login attempts to put a time out after a few failed attempts and change the standard port from 3389 to something less interesting. Otherwise, internet scans will detect 3389 open and run a dictionary attack against it.   Also, it is safer if you remote from the same IP all the time to restrict incoming RDP to the address you are remoting from, then internet scans will not see 3389 (or whatever port you choose) as open.

With Teamviewer you can set up a login and it works better (IMO) if you are using multiple platforms or locations to log into the server remotely,or if multiple people are remoting into the same session.

VNC is another alternative, I don't use it so I can't comment.

I think he would still probably need RDP to set up teamviewer on the VPS.  The plus side with NFO anyway is that RDP will just work straight away.

But there are indeed other options.