Particle Editor stop to work.

Started by Sereja, April 29, 2018, 02:08:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
My Particle Editor is now stop to work. It gives an error message when I try to open it. So I can't make any new effect anymore... :( It's sad, but the situation could by far more dangerous. I have also SWBF2 mod tools, with it's own Particle Editor, and when I try to open it, it - gives the same error. Logicaly, it's something wrong with my PC, not with the tools, so I copyed Particle Editor folder, with binkw32.dll in it, and install it at the another computer. It's weird, but It gives the same error again... :confused: How unexpected. I do not know about the real reason of such sabotage, but it's possible some kind of virus atack. (It's very weird, since any other function of PC works fine). If that so, I probably can't upload anything anymore, and my modding activity ends here. :bye:

Still, to clear up the situation, I probably need help of some desperate volonteer, who have realy strong antivirus, working Particle Editor, and agree to check my Particle Editor, is it work or not.

WARNING: use it at your own risk:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/7lfsyql85k95339/ParticleEditor_notworked.rar
Beauty is, the way to perfection.

Glory to Ukraine!  :mf:

April 29, 2018, 03:37:04 AM #1 Last Edit: April 29, 2018, 03:40:58 AM by Red04 (CC-4398)
I just downloaded your ParticleEditor.exe and I've unzipped it in the ToolsFL\Bin folder from BFBuilder. When I tested it, two pop-up windows appeared (in the first it says that binkw32.dll is missing and in the second it shows me a message that says "the application couldn't start correctly (0xc0000142)"). However, I tried my ParticleEditor.exe which was included in the BFBuilder that I installed some time ago and I didn't see both errors. I've no idea why it happens...

I don't use the Particle Editor frequently but I've decided to test your executable and see if I was lucky. If you want you can try mine.

I hope you can fix it! ;)

Edit: Before testing it I've analyzed it and it seems to be free of virus.
AR Clan Discord: https://discord.gg/gmmSm5e | Star Wars: Battlefront - 20th Anniversary (2004-2024)

Well, it's could be nice if you may upload your Particle Editor folder, and your binkw32.dll. Perhaps the problem may be exactly in my binkw32.dll...
But, why it happens with SWBF1 and SWBF2 mod tools both at same time - still a big mystery to me.

I don't think that we can let you retire so easily!

What version of Windows do you use? 

Maybe it is time we get you a new computer!   :cheers:
Quote from: Abraham Lincoln. on November 04, 1971, 12:34:40 PM
Don't believe everything you read on the internet

Hi Sereja,
It would be a desaster for me and all swbf1 mod interested people, if you would stop you modding activities. :o
I haven't dealed with the particle editor for more than a year and the best result I got were jumping gray squares without texture, although they seem to be in the right folder.-So I an not very competent for answering...

I tested your version and my version and  I got an error, too.
It says that the "test1 module" is not working. Because I have a problem, too, I don't think, that you have a virus. I think the problem is a Windows-update. I had the same problem with BFBuilder after an Update.(http://www.swbfgamers.com/index.php?topic=12650.msg117766#msg117766)

I tried on win7, too, but it doesn't work eighter (maybe there was an update, too). Sorry if I contradict Led, but I don't think a new computer is the solution.

I can imagine Sleepkiller could help you. Sombody who is able to write an unmunge program could have the knowlege to solve this problem.
I wish you the best Triops

I think the first thing is to find out what version of windows is being used.  Updates can be rolled back one at a time for testing.   If that does not work, I know I can find a windows XP system  ;)

update:   OK, mine seems to work (but I don't know how to use it :)   )

here is the particle editor update that I used:
http://www.swbfgamers.com/index.php?action=downloads;sa=view;down=64

It runs with no errors.  Please note that I had to follow these directions:

12/22/04

Replace the file ParticleEditor.exe located in ToolsFl\Bin with this one.

In order for the particle editor to work it makes use of the game engine
so you must create a directory under BFBuilder\Data\ called _lvl_pc and copy
the core.lvl file in your game install gamedata directory into the _lvl_pc
folder, much like it is with the intstalled game.

To launch the particle editor just double click the exe or create a shortcut.

The particle editor opens .fx files that are particle files, not to be confused
with .fx files that are world enironment effects. The assets in the mod tool kit
located in the BFBuilder\Assets\Shipped Common Effects folder contain the .fx
files that can be loaded with the particle editor.

While these .fx files once lived in the BFBuilder\Data\Common\effects directory,
nothing in BFBuilder\Data is actually compiled for Add Ons and used because that
would make changes to files that are not replaced or supplemented by the Add On
folder contents.

Any new particle effects created must go in the indivdiual world effects folders
to be included in a mod. For example BFBuilder\DataModID\Worlds\ModID\Effects

I am sorry, Led.  :(
Maybe a new computer/system would help.

I forgot that it is more complicate to to use the Particle Editor as I had in my mind.
After creating the the directory _LVL_PC... An now it worked on my new Computer with win 10.

It may be an issue of a corrupt file in the Windows virtual store, too.  But I can't tell if that is a possibility until we know what version of Windows he is using.  Other possibilities are a bad or misplaced bink32dll or whatever it is, bad folder structure and so on.  Windows updates are a real possibility.

But we must help for the sake of all SWBF  ;)

Quote from: Sereja on April 29, 2018, 06:03:42 AM
Well, it's could be nice if you may upload your Particle Editor folder, and your binkw32.dll. Perhaps the problem may be exactly in my binkw32.dll...
But, why it happens with SWBF1 and SWBF2 mod tools both at same time - still a big mystery to me.

NP then! Here I've uploaded the ToolsFL\Bin folder of BFBuilder, it comes with the ParticleEditor.exe and the file binkw32.dll (if you want ignore the rest of .exe files).

If it helps you, my Particle Editor comes from the most recent version of SWBF Mod Tools, if I'm not mistaken I think I downloaded it here.
AR Clan Discord: https://discord.gg/gmmSm5e | Star Wars: Battlefront - 20th Anniversary (2004-2024)

April 29, 2018, 10:09:55 AM #10 Last Edit: April 29, 2018, 11:37:20 AM by Sereja
Thanks, guys, it seem works now. Refresh tutorial is helps: I just copyed core.lvl and put it in to the _LVL_PC folder. The real mystery now: why core.lvl dissapeard from there, since Particle Editor works fine before...  Perhaps some computer worm may eat it? :o
Or I have another explanation: seems it's SleepKillers invention out of control and cleaning everything at my PC. It was maded for creating maps without BFbuiler, but it making new map folders with some weird ability to delete everything when you click the clean.bat. To fix this, in each new map sound folder need to be renamed, but I guess I forget to do it this time...

I steel use Windows XP.

I am very relieved that it seems to work now.  :cheer:
Good, that Led reminds us that there are some things to take into account for using this program.

Quote from: Led on April 29, 2018, 06:24:44 AM
I don't think that we can let you retire so easily!
Maybe it is time we get you a new computer!   :cheers:
I wonder if Sereja realizes if he asked us to crowd fund a new computer for him he'd have enough money in a week.
Of course now that I've posted this we're committed if he ever calls upon us.

a week?   Give me 30 seconds and his paypal account  ;)

I didn't want to commit us so heavily but here we are! Now if he asks for one Led, you've got to do it!

*Psst* Sereja, ask for a high end computer, all the works! ;)