SWBF1.2 Internet Multiplayer Patch Tutorial

Started by Phobos, April 30, 2013, 02:21:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
So the weirdest thing happened...
I was scrolling through the servers (Internet option) (played a couple of low AI ones) and lo and behold, a new server popped up.  The same dedicateds never update which I knew because it said there were 2 people in FC Battlegrounds and there weren't 2 in there for a while.  Anyway...
When I was looking, a server came up, the server was named Soul (from the player hosting).  I thought it was odd since it was the only new server I've seen all day, so I clicked on it.  Lo and behold, the stats were on it like normal (200-200 reinforcements, 1 player named Soul, etc).  So I decided to click on it to join.  BF froze completely and I had to exit out.  When I went back in the server was still there, so I had to do the whole "click, cancel, then click again to join", but right before my second click the server disappeared.
Has anything like this happened to anyone else?
The BOBclan:  A Rich History

Quote from: Unit 33 on November 29, 2014, 03:44:44 AM
'Please, tell me more about the logistics of the design of laser swords being wielded by space wizards' - Some guy on the internet.

it happened to me. its some kind of bug
i hosted a server called {U.E.F}Just4Fun, but i shut it down and server was still up, i tried to join, and same problem u had, happened to me
Anyder | Talent, Ops & Culture | SWBF & Player Engagement
Email: communityambassador@swbfgamers.com
SWBFSpy Discord: http://discord.swbfspy.com
SWBFSpy Info: http://info.swbfspy.com

I'll check it out Phantom.

I can also give my word that xfire does indeed cause BF to freeze. If we really intend to use OS, we may have to ditch xfire. I know that some of you guys have tried out that Raptor program or whatever it is called. Have you guys tried running that with BF?

Phobos said something about the servers updating slow. and to host you need to do some extra stuff.

Quote from: Dark_Phantom on May 05, 2013, 03:30:40 PM
So the weirdest thing happened...
I was scrolling through the servers (Internet option) (played a couple of low AI ones) and lo and behold, a new server popped up.  The same dedicateds never update which I knew because it said there were 2 people in FC Battlegrounds and there weren't 2 in there for a while.  Anyway...
When I was looking, a server came up, the server was named Soul (from the player hosting).  I thought it was odd since it was the only new server I've seen all day, so I clicked on it.  Lo and behold, the stats were on it like normal (200-200 reinforcements, 1 player named Soul, etc).  So I decided to click on it to join.  BF froze completely and I had to exit out.  When I went back in the server was still there, so I had to do the whole "click, cancel, then click again to join", but right before my second click the server disappeared.
Has anything like this happened to anyone else?

I can see stats for servers that I can not join.
Quote from: Abraham Lincoln. on November 04, 1971, 12:34:40 PM
Don't believe everything you read on the internet

Quote from: Buckler on May 05, 2013, 04:16:53 PM

Yeah this is just one of many bugs.  :(

Quote from: Buckler on May 05, 2013, 04:16:53 PM

like ? i can actually join all servers (except FC's, as Phobos wont want me there)
Anyder | Talent, Ops & Culture | SWBF & Player Engagement
Email: communityambassador@swbfgamers.com
SWBFSpy Discord: http://discord.swbfspy.com
SWBFSpy Info: http://info.swbfspy.com

Quote from: Anyder on May 05, 2013, 03:35:22 PM
it happened to me. its some kind of bug
i hosted a server called {U.E.F}Just4Fun, but i shut it down and server was still up, i tried to join, and same problem u had, happened to me

Anyder, the point of my post was not that it doesn't update.  I knew that.
Read closer, and you will see that the point was that there was a server I couldn't join that had stats showing.

'Please, tell me more about the logistics of the design of laser swords being wielded by space wizards' - Some guy on the internet.

Quote from: Anyder on May 06, 2013, 06:53:58 AM
like ? i can actually join all servers (except FC's, as Phobos wont want me there)

Any server that I can see player names and stats for are servers that I can not join.

Servers that I can not see player names and stats for are servers that I can usually join.

It is a protocal issue with openspy and the version of gamespy that we use in SWBF. 

Sleepkiller has been working on recompiling the openspy software.  If he can get it to compile, then
we have a chance at fixing some of the issues.

If it gets recompiled and works correctly, does that mean that you (Buckler) will host the Openspy Star Wars Battlefront server from a computer of yours?

Quote from: Dark_Phantom on May 06, 2013, 07:34:41 AM
If it gets recompiled and works correctly, does that mean that you (Buckler) will host the Openspy Star Wars Battlefront server from a computer of yours?

Short answer, yes.

Long answer:

We have a few options.  PLA Bandit is an IT person with a large server farm.  He has offered to host a master server in the past, should we find one.  (He also knew about the hosts redirect method, but at that time, we did not have an OpenSpy available to us.)

At the present time, I am renting a Linux server from NFOservers so that SK can work on getting the OpenSpy source code compiled.  It is not terribly straightforward, but from his reports, it is getting close.  (There are some missing libraries that need to be tracked down.)  If it compiles then we can host a test master server on it
for a while.

My current thinking is this:
1) see if we can compile Openspy and host it ourselves in the event that openspy goes away
2) see if we can compile and fix Openspy so that we have a better implementation for SWBF (I have some game server data captures that we can use to compare the Openspy traffic to the Gamespy traffic)
3) prepare for gamespy to dump SWBF2 and offer that community an option; this could drive more traffic to this site

Then host on a new rented server or on one of Bandits if things all work out.

If all goes very well, I think we could even make our own leaderboards and host it right here.

They don't call us Die-Hards for nuthin'  ;)

I may not exactly be an IT guy, but I know a friend of mine that has a top-of-the-line gaming PC. and it's always online. I've been showing him the whole server setup thing going on, and he said he's willing to help out in hosting some servers, if you guys are interested. :P

Quote from: {Alpha}Gold Man on May 06, 2013, 08:59:24 AM
I may not exactly be an IT guy, but I know a friend of mine that has a top-of-the-line gaming PC. and it's always online. I've been showing him the whole server setup thing going on, and he said he's willing to help out in hosting some servers, if you guys are interested. :P

Thanks.  For the master server though, we need something completely reliable, fast, completely reliable, not behind a firewall, completely reliable, fully controlled by us, and completely reliable.

;)

In addition, we are looking at a linux box and something that run MySQL databases and can link to websites.

Hey Buckler, I'm GMs friend with the computer. I was wondering if I could somehow get one of those emulators that run OSs and run it on my computer and run MySQL on it and through that run the SWBF servers, if possible?

May 06, 2013, 01:13:57 PM #29 Last Edit: May 06, 2013, 02:06:10 PM by UNIT 33
Quote from: Buckler on May 06, 2013, 07:31:05 AM

Sleepkiller has been working on recompiling the openspy software.  If he can get it to compile, then
we have a chance at fixing some of the issues.

If he manages to compile that code then it would be extremely awesome. I'm pretty sure it can be implemented for many more Gamespy games other than SWBF, which is why I'm interested in it as well.

But before I can have a crack at that, the code must be compiled obviously. I asked a colleague of mine to take a look at it. He said that the nearly all of the Linux code was there, and that there were some Win32 libraries, but there wasn't a lot of progress made on the Windows side to get it compiled unfortunately  :(

But holding thumbs that Sleepkiller can work some magic for us  :D