3d Modeling [Work In Progress... forever]

Started by tirpider, June 08, 2013, 04:11:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Doing some more work on The Dark Mod and I figured I'd give a small update on that. TDM uses id 4 (aka the Doom3 engine) so it has some really cool dynamic lighting features...

Video link Arc-Transformer >> https://vimeo.com/152379080

Just a buncha stuff I've been doing over there. Making use of my Substance Painter app and normal maps (they are lovely to paint). Medieval mechanical engineering has begun to be a staple trend for me.  ;)
photobucket limit image removed

Looks gorgeous Ep. Great work!
=AaTc= Forever

SALLY....

-Retired Modder

Looks really cool.Its a shame there is no one who can update the shader files for the Battlefront 2 game. :)

Quote from: Ginev on January 20, 2016, 09:46:42 AM
Looks really cool.Its a shame there is no one who can update the shader files for the Battlefront 2 game. :)

Yeah Ginev when things die down I want to try a whole manually lit and textured enviro in BF1. If I can manage it right, it would be small and indoors (which would give control) but have all baked in lighting and depth information.

It is a pain the workflow is so dated though. Trying to add in anything cool is difficult with SWBF as the lighting and shaders are so limited. If it works, my brute force system should be interesting. Brute force as in file size, because all the surfaces would be individually mapped. Meaning the texture usage would blow up because nothing would be tiled.

Here is a Walther PPK, inspired by the one in Fallout 4. It has around 7000 polys.

Ahh yes some finalized textures I see! Liking the attention to the letter's beveling and angle, as that's really the only good way you can bring out the material definition for a clean version.

Curious though did you do those letters with stencils in a sculpting app or run that through the texturing process? Personally I like to do my lettering when I texture as I can make last minuet changes that way.

I added the letters into the normal map with NDO. I can use Photoshops tools to create text, shapes, add photos, and then have NDO bake the stuff into the normal map. You can even sculpt into the normal map with NDO.

A long time ago, I tried to model text for a normal map  :XD:

I just use Substance instead of Quixel now, but same process. Otherwise the only other way I've seen stuff done on the highpoly for text would be in Mudbox or Zbrush. There are benefits to modeling it out, for extra surface information but it does take longer. As well as a good knowledge of highres sculpting.