Is it easier to modify a mod map from one of the vanilla maps or make a new map?

Started by dsaf, August 27, 2022, 05:47:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
I'm new to make making (i never did it before), is it easier to start on a vanila map, and modify that first, before making a whole new map, to get used to it, using the bf builder.

Is it easier to make a completely new map, or is it easier to modify one of the vanilla maps (such as bespin cloud city, or Tatooine Mos. Eisley)

Let me know. Thank you.
Works In Progress
Yellow Command Mod (TBA)
Native Dune Sea Mod (TBA)
Backwards Battlefront Mod (TBA)

For new modders, I suggest starting with the parts that are easiest to edit first--like mission lua .  Just a few text edits here and there.  That will get you used to working with the mod tools.  The maps later.   :cheers:

But do as you like  :moo:
Quote from: Abraham Lincoln. on November 04, 1971, 12:34:40 PM
Don't believe everything you read on the internet

I so badly want to make a tweaked version of Bespin Cloud city (a couple more health droids would be nice among other things). I went through the trouble of recreating 85% of Bespin Cloud City, getting all the structures that mattered in about the right place, even some of the ones that people could Jet-jump/grenade jump to. However, I didn't know how to make things like the Carbon Freezing Chamber claw with Han in carbonite work and I didn't know how to add kill zones. I also didn't know how to set the AI paths properly, so the Ai in my version are way more clueless than in the original version (snipers don't take up positions on the bridges, they don't run towards the turrets in the courtyard). I wished I could just tweak the real Cloud City since that map was close to perfection.

http://www.swbfgamers.com/index.php?topic=13659.msg122080#msg122080

Rather than recreating, just import the stock maps and then use ZE to modify them.
Please make sure to read the download notes first, they answer very common questions.
The BOBclan:  A Rich History

Quote from: Unit 33 on November 29, 2014, 03:44:44 AM
'Please, tell me more about the logistics of the design of laser swords being wielded by space wizards' - Some guy on the internet.