Heavy Lag Issues

Started by Ultimo, May 21, 2019, 09:09:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
I've just started playing SWBF again in the last few days, and I'm already having problems with connection lag/high ping that I've not experienced before. I don't think I've actually played the game since the new master server came up, so I need to determine if this is just an issue that I can somehow resolve on my end, or if this is general to any of the users.

I'm connecting from the US, so I don't normally have problems with servers in my own country. However, when connecting to any of the US servers, for example, Cloud City Chicago, I'm getting between 70 to 90 ping at all times, which is noticably high and hard to play on. I've also tried connecting to foreign servers to me, such as an AR server, and getting upwards of 150 ping.

Does anybody know of some tricks I could try, on my end, to help these numbers? Obviously the lower the ping, the better.
Or is this just something completely out of my control?
Formerly:
{Alpha}Gen.Ultimo
[212]Cpl.Ultimo
WUSi.Whisper

No, this is not a problem.  70-90 to Chicago is very typical for someone a couple of states away. Note that SWBF computes ping differently that more modern games.

Are you really lagging or just think you have a high ping?
Quote from: Abraham Lincoln. on November 04, 1971, 12:34:40 PM
Don't believe everything you read on the internet

I'm definitely lagging a bit, but it's not as noticable on American servers for me. It really stands out on foreign servers, where I can't move at all.
Formerly:
{Alpha}Gen.Ultimo
[212]Cpl.Ultimo
WUSi.Whisper

Have you checked your ping on speedtest.net? Just to rule out your Internet connection. Also are you using WiFi?
I play less now but I'll always be around, lets keep this site and battlefront going. :)

I am using wifi at the moment, but that's not given a problem in the past. I speedtest myself almost weekly just to make sure my ISP isn't trying to cut service/throttle us (they have before, jerks...) but nothing has changed with speeds in a long time.
Formerly:
{Alpha}Gen.Ultimo
[212]Cpl.Ultimo
WUSi.Whisper

There is another site called something like ping test which will tell you packet loss etc. Battlefront doesn't need much speed but it does need consistency - 200ping is perfectly playable, it's a 0.2second delay, but if your ping is shooting up it could cause issues.
I play less now but I'll always be around, lets keep this site and battlefront going. :)