mods

Started by Cdh224, October 01, 2019, 05:08:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Recently bought classic swbf2 and I've been planning on downloading some mods for it. Its just that I'm kind of paranoid about downloading mods because I know that they sometimes carry viruses. Have any of you ever got a virus from downloading a mod for classic swbf or swbf2? And what's your procedure for avoiding viruses when downloading these mods. I was planning on scanning the download links with a few virus scanners to make sure they are okay before downloading. So far I've only downloaded a couple of mods from moddb (before I got my antimalware software), but I'm hesitant to download from places like mediafire because I've heard that viruses are common there. Anyway I would really appreciate some feedback, thanks.

SWBF and SWBF2 mods are (usually) not exe files.  They are game specific LVL files that are usually compressed in .zip or .Z file format.  If you get one, uncompress it, and don't see any *.bat, *.com, or *.exe files, there should be no problem at all.

You can always run a virus scan after you download it as well.
Quote from: Abraham Lincoln. on November 04, 1971, 12:34:40 PM
Don't believe everything you read on the internet

Thanks for the feedback, I appreciate it.

I would add .dll to your list of files to be wary of.
If you are unsure about a mod, and it is any one of these files, make sure you check the source, and also look at reviews and stuff.
The BOBclan:  A Rich History

Quote from: Unit 33 on November 29, 2014, 03:44:44 AM
'Please, tell me more about the logistics of the design of laser swords being wielded by space wizards' - Some guy on the internet.