Meshexbeta Error List

Started by Epifire, June 18, 2011, 01:45:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Here are some things that can slip past people with out them realizing it, and before you know it you can completly screw up a model with out even knowing what happened.

So some things you may already know, but these are some things I have found out in trial and error. NOTE: Meshexbeta 3 is a third party developed exporter so it does have its handfull of  "fluke errors".

Ok so lets start with some of the simpler things that can happen. In order to do that I will list the basic things you are supposed to do. Quoted from its builder RepSharpshooter. Here is the link so I don't get sued :P

***********************************************************************************

http://www.gametoast.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=64&t=15082

Instructions:

"Put everything you're going to export under a null (not the scene root).

In the scene explorer, middle-mouse click the name of the null.Go to File, Crosswalk, Export (it should be on 6.0 text when it pops up).

Click the Settings tab.

Select a filename/filepath.

CHECK "EXPORT SELECTION ONLY"

CHECK "CONVERT GEOMETRY TO TRIANGLES" or "CONVERT MESHES TO TRIANGLES"

CHECK "EXPORT XSI NORMALS"

UNCHECK "Keep referenced paths relative"Press Export.

Run mshex in same directory and convert file to a msh. (put the .xsi file in the same folder as mshex.exe and hedr.msh, then double click on mshex. Then type in the .xsi name such as box.xsi)"

****************************************************************************************

So okay things he doesn't tell you are...

You can't export straight up primatives (meaning don't just texture a sphere, change its geometry so that its not at its default state).

Do not have textures that have numbers in their names on your model. Here's why. For some reason when exported from "meshex" it will give the model's information on that texture by its number. Other wise in some cases the model will give information that it needs (for instance) *1* when really the actuall texture name may be *crate_corner.1*. So word of warning, other wise you can end up with a model that has blank spots where it requires that texture.

So in order to work around this you can either re-name the texture, and re-texture in XSI... or you can simply name the texture its looking for by the number its listed. Then those blank polys should be fine.

If not then you also may have to consider that your texture has RLE compression. So here is a way to work around that. All I do is a load the texture in Gimp, and save it as a tga with out  RLE compression.

Ok so two other things I do to often then not is I forget to middle click on my dummyroot before exporting. Another thing is freezing inputs. So about freezing inputs... I find it handy to select by the null to freeze the model's inputs, as well as selecting the model and doing the same again. It never hurt anything to Freeze inputs, but it definatly will if you do not.

Hope this helps, if I come up with more things to post on I will do that.
photobucket limit image removed

Thank you for posting this tutorial. I have added it to encyclopedia v5. How did you get it in this forum section so quick? I have like 3 or 4 tutorials that still need to be moved here.

Let me know what needs to be moved--(i.e. send me link) and I will move it.
Quote from: Abraham Lincoln. on November 04, 1971, 12:34:40 PM
Don't believe everything you read on the internet

Quote from: Zombie Hotel Developer on June 18, 2011, 02:34:50 PM
Thank you for posting this tutorial. I have added it to encyclopedia v5. How did you get it in this forum section so quick? I have like 3 or 4 tutorials that still need to be moved here.

Well I was talking to Led at the time when I told him about the tips tutorial. He told me to post it so that he could then move it. So I guess direct contact counts for some thing. 
photobucket limit image removed

Quote from: Buckler on June 18, 2011, 03:08:47 PM
Let me know what needs to be moved--(i.e. send me link) and I will move it.

I pmed you 4 or 5 links to be moved