The Difference Between Mods And Hacks

Started by Phobos, June 15, 2011, 05:56:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
June 15, 2011, 05:56:06 PM Last Edit: June 17, 2011, 02:47:32 PM by Zombie Hotel Developer
 :censored:

Shooting through walls is considered a glitch, the way you put it is fine, but walls werent made to be shot through.

June 15, 2011, 08:30:17 PM #2 Last Edit: June 17, 2011, 02:47:27 PM by Zombie Hotel Developer
 :censored:

Well, a mod is often considered as "bending" the already present "rules" to make alterations, changing values etc, hacking is completely throwing the rules out the window and doing it you own way, and this is where the illegality issues pop up.
Both mods and hacks are often used in online games to give players an advantage over others, such as J-tag auto aim bots and wall hacks...
However both are equally often used to improve game play etc for all (maps, sides rom-hacks etc), this also runs into illegality issues, but it's still more acceptable because there's no real victim to it.

Glitching has nothing to do with modding or hacking because you're not altering the game, you're taking advantage of oversights left by the creators.

June 16, 2011, 07:23:46 AM #4 Last Edit: June 16, 2011, 07:58:30 AM by Buckler
Quote from: Zombie Hotel Developer on June 15, 2011, 08:30:17 PMThe 90 degree angles in the hallway were specifically designed with a collision which allowed perfectly aligned corner shots to penetrate the wall.

This is false, and is not [edited by buckler] how the battlefront collision system works. It was an accident, that could have been fixed, but was most likely not found, but in no way did Pandemic do this intentionally.

It is at least considered a cheat, no argument. And it is a glitch.
"Success builds character, Failure revels it"
We salute you, Echo, Hevy, Cutup, and Droidbait. Fives, good luck out there soldier.
--
♂ + ♂ = ♥
♀ + ♀ = ♥
♀ + ♂ = ♥
Love is love
--
RUSH is variety ya stupid shisno.

June 16, 2011, 07:45:39 AM #5 Last Edit: June 16, 2011, 07:54:45 AM by Buckler
There are many un-intended things in SWBF.  Some people even consider mine tossing to be a glitch/cheat/un-intended feature.

It is part of the charm of the game.

Whether these things are allowed in any specific game depends on the rules set up by the host and players of the game.  To argue in general terms about what is or is not cheating is pointless and needlessly argumentative.

Zombie and Wulfman--please refrain from insults
Quote from: Abraham Lincoln. on November 04, 1971, 12:34:40 PM
Don't believe everything you read on the internet

June 17, 2011, 02:40:37 PM #6 Last Edit: June 17, 2011, 02:47:14 PM by Zombie Hotel Developer
I do not consider the 90 degree wall shot collision mistake to be glitch or cheat because you are still vulnerable to being shot. If you want to consider it a cheat you can do that, but it would be easy to fix by moving an object inside to block the shot. I still do not see how it can be called a cheat but apparently these terms are more subjective to you guys.

I did not realize that presenting facts would cause such hostile reaction from people. I have deleted all my previous posts. Feel free to lock or delete the thread Led.

Personally, I think its a collision bug, but people use it to shoot through the wall at others to their advantage. I've noticed, from experimenting with things like this, that you can also walk through the wall at this 90 degree angle. In my opinion, i think that the 90 degree thing itself is not an intended glitch, but people use it, as a method of cheating/glitching, sometimes with disastrous results. Which is why, i think its a good idea to create deathregions on the other side of the wall that should be inaccessible because traditionally, video game walls should not be penetrable as they create a boundary between that level and open terrain/space.
Current Projects:
Battlefront One and a Half Era Mod, v2.0. Making great progress (SWBF)