Star Wars Battlefront III

Started by Missile, May 30, 2011, 02:59:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: THEWULFMAN on June 08, 2011, 11:56:30 PM
Its a nice layout ggctuk, but I would like to mention a few things.
A) 90% of what you said could be done in BF2. Space Heroes and Space Hero vehicles are something that can be found in DT2 and my TCW mod.
B) The default space hero for the CIS shouldn't be Dooku, the Solar Sailor isn't made for combat, so he should never be a space hero. Grievous is a good default.
C) One of those things I mentioned that can be done in BF2, is the Mind Trick, I made a Mind Trick weapon that changes the team of the unit it hits to your team.
D) Things that you left out that I feel should be mentioned.
D.1) Advanced Squad commands, more like in Battlefront 1, but just more effective.
D.2) Prone.
D.3) A good grappling hook weapon, and more ODF types too.

I could go on and on here. The only thing you really could do in BF2, is The 3 customizable units. You could do random heroes to go and forth between the 2 heroes, like I have done for my TCW mod. And space to ground maps can be done, not perfectly, but it can be done.

Good point, but almost anything could be done in BF2 - because the core gameplay would be the same.

The Solar Sailor was just what I guessed at, I didn't think it could fight, but it wouldn't actually NEED to fight. It could have some special ability IE act as a mobile spawn point for certain units. I also note that Space Heroes in DT2 *(and I have played) are not actually armed. I'm thinking full heroes, like in Elite Squadron.

The default heroes were based on BF1. That's why I said Count Dooku.

I didn't actually know the Mind Trick could be done in BF2.

And what I left out I thought were a given and thus not actually necessary for inclusion - things like advanced squad commands and prone. Granted I hadn't thought about the Grappling Hook.
In Progress:
--Star Wars: Battlefront - Anniversary Edition (formerly Star Wars: Battlefront - Legacy Edition)
--Endor: Imperial Base

On Hold:
--Star Wars Battlefront: Elite Squadron For SWBF1

In DT2 the space heroes were unarmed yes, but not in my TCW mod.

And I wanted to correct myself earlier, when I said
"The only thing you really could do in BF2, is The 3 customizable units."
I meant
"The only thing you really could not do in BF2, is The 3 customizable units"

I am the first person to put the Mind Trick into a mod, as I am the first person that thought of the idea and had the ability to do it. It is done through a special Lua command created by a friend Fiodis.
"Success builds character, Failure revels it"
We salute you, Echo, Hevy, Cutup, and Droidbait. Fives, good luck out there soldier.
--
♂ + ♂ = ♥
♀ + ♀ = ♥
♀ + ♂ = ♥
Love is love
--
RUSH is variety ya stupid shisno.

June 09, 2011, 02:03:34 PM #32 Last Edit: June 09, 2011, 02:06:29 PM by Zombie Hotel Developer
Quote from: SleepKiller on June 07, 2011, 06:58:20 PM
No offence to what your doing jdee-barc but modifying the exe is against the EULA that comes with the modtools which makes it illegal to do. I would strongly advise against it.

I would not advise against it. Battlebelk modified sptest (using cheat engine) to create the sptest loader and remove greenscreen, which is technically an illegal EULA violation. The truth is though, nobody in lucas arts or pandemic cares. Nothing has even been done about it except by GT admins. Nobody would do anything unless it was going to seriously inhibit sales of the game. (Like the supposedly illegal NO CD modded exe that almost everyone has and lucasarts does not care) And unlocking a 6th unit would certainly not cause any problems for them.

An alien wars era would be a fun mod to make. What exactly is a "mind trick" and what is the LUA code to use it in bf1?

I know some people are opposed to the idea of finding out how to modify the executable to unlock the 6th unit on spawn screen for bf1; and those people don't have to participate in our efforts to make the game more fun.

Can I ask exactly what modifying the BF1 executeable has to do with BFIII?
In Progress:
--Star Wars: Battlefront - Anniversary Edition (formerly Star Wars: Battlefront - Legacy Edition)
--Endor: Imperial Base

On Hold:
--Star Wars Battlefront: Elite Squadron For SWBF1

Quote from: Zombie Hotel Developer on June 09, 2011, 02:03:34 PM
I would not advise against it. Battlebelk modified sptest (using cheat engine) to create the sptest loader and remove greenscreen, which is technically an illegal EULA violation. The truth is though, nobody in lucas arts or pandemic cares. Nothing has even been done about it except by GT admins. Nobody would do anything unless it was going to seriously inhibit sales of the game. (Like the supposedly illegal NO CD modded exe that almost everyone has and lucasarts does not care) And unlocking a 6th unit would certainly not cause any problems for them.

An alien wars era would be a fun mod to make. What exactly is a "mind trick" and what is the LUA code to use it in bf1?

I know some people are opposed to the idea of finding out how to modify the executable to unlock the 6th unit on spawn screen for bf1; and those people don't have to participate in our efforts to make the game more fun.

Taken from the EULA

All rights not specifically granted under this Agreement are reserved by LucasArts and, as applicable, their licensors.  You may not:  (1) except as may be required in connection with the installation of the Software, copy the Software; (2) distribute, rent, lease, sublicense or otherwise commercially exploit all or any portion of the Software; (3) modify or prepare derivative works of the Software, except as otherwise may be specifically allowed herein; (4) reverse engineer the Software, derive source code, or otherwise attempt to reconstruct or discover any underlying source code, ideas, algorithms, file formats, programming or interoperability interfaces of the Software by any means whatsoever, except to the extent expressly permitted by law despite a contractual provision to the contrary, and then only after you have notified LucasArts in writing of your intended activities; (5) remove, disable, or circumvent any proprietary notices or labels that may be contained on or within the Software; (6) export or re-export the Software or any copy or adaptation thereof in violation of any applicable laws or regulations; or (7) commercially exploit the Software. 

(2)     New Levels may not modify any COM, EXE, DLL or other executable files. 

Okay so using cheat engine could be passable since it modifys  the memory feed not the EXE it self so you could do something like that but otherwise it is ilegal.

Quote from: ggctuk2005 on June 09, 2011, 02:38:22 PM
Can I ask exactly what modifying the BF1 executeable has to do with BFIII?
Good question.

ok, i guess it has almsot nothing to do with it.

In response to Zombie Hotel Dev, I say that you are being slanderous with what you say about the Gametoast Staff (including what you say about them in your signature) and a bit misguided with your ideas about modding the application itself

-Battlebelk didn't mod the actual battlefront.exe, which came with the game and cost money. He modified the sptest.exe, which was for testing and debugging, not playing, and came with the FREE mod tools.

-Battlebelk is one person so LucasArts didn't care about what he did.

-Modding the actual exe is a pretty clear violation of the license (i just read it). because it says its illegal.

Personally,  i believe modding the executable for yourself, for your own benefit, should be fine as long as you keep it to yourself. But if you release a 6-unit, feature-packed enabled patch to the executable on like LucasForums or Filefront's SWBF section, then LucasArts will probably notice and then you might get into some legal trouble.

Current Projects:
Battlefront One and a Half Era Mod, v2.0. Making great progress (SWBF)

June 10, 2011, 03:51:37 AM #36 Last Edit: June 10, 2011, 03:53:09 AM by THEWULFMAN
Quote from: jdee-barc on June 09, 2011, 05:06:47 PM
ok, i guess it has almsot nothing to do with it.

In response to Zombie Hotel Dev, I say that you are being slanderous with what you say about the Gametoast Staff (including what you say about them in your signature) and a bit misguided with your ideas about modding the application itself

-Battlebelk didn't mod the actual battlefront.exe, which came with the game and cost money. He modified the sptest.exe, which was for testing and debugging, not playing, and came with the FREE mod tools.

-Battlebelk is one person so LucasArts didn't care about what he did.

-Modding the actual exe is a pretty clear violation of the license (i just read it). because it says its illegal.

Personally,  i believe modding the executable for yourself, for your own benefit, should be fine as long as you keep it to yourself. But if you release a 6-unit, feature-packed enabled patch to the executable on like LucasForums or Filefront's SWBF section, then LucasArts will probably notice and then you might get into some legal trouble.

I concur.

Furthermore, editing the .exe would never get you a 6th unit. The best hope would be to recreate all the Lua files we dont have, and then you could probably change those to add more units. The .exe has little to do with how the game operates, its in mainly the Luas that do all the work. The Luas tell the .exe what to do, not the other way around. And editing the luas, if we had them, would be perfectly legal.

And dont think I wouldn't hesitate to report anyone trying to distribute an edited .exe
If you want a 6th unit, mod BF2.

The Mind Trick weapon is used like a force power. It changes the team of whatever unit it hits to your team for awhile, and they fight for you. It can not be done in BF1, as BF1 has a very limited lua command list.

Furthermore, It is unnecessary to continue bashing the staff at GT because you couldnt follow simple rules that you felt were unfair.
"Success builds character, Failure revels it"
We salute you, Echo, Hevy, Cutup, and Droidbait. Fives, good luck out there soldier.
--
♂ + ♂ = ♥
♀ + ♀ = ♥
♀ + ♂ = ♥
Love is love
--
RUSH is variety ya stupid shisno.

June 10, 2011, 12:30:52 PM #37 Last Edit: June 10, 2011, 12:33:20 PM by jdee-barc
And Gametoast is fair and equitable in its handling of problems. They ban people who plagarize a lot. Again, they are just abiding by the rules, which they should be. and why are you trashing the GT staff if the rules of this EULA don't exactly concern you? (unless something happened that i didn't see as i've been unable to log in.)

Note to Wulfman: thanks for telling me that its in the luas. now i know where to look.
Current Projects:
Battlefront One and a Half Era Mod, v2.0. Making great progress (SWBF)

in china internet not good

hard typing

keep it real, hard moderating from here

locking topic
Quote from: Abraham Lincoln. on November 04, 1971, 12:34:40 PM
Don't believe everything you read on the internet

June 14, 2011, 09:33:00 AM #39 Last Edit: June 14, 2011, 09:42:53 AM by Buckler
Quote from: SleepKiller on June 07, 2011, 06:58:20 PM
No offence to what your doing jdee-barc but modifying the exe is against the EULA that comes with the modtools which makes it illegal to do. I would strongly advise against it.

OK, there is a fine point that I need to make, and some other general comments.

A violation of a EULA is a violation of the EULA. 

Whether it is illegal or not is determined by a court of law, not by writers of the EULA or the readers of the EULA.

As the owner of this website, I can not allow anything illegal on this website.  Since I am not a lawyer, I would probably go with a conservative assessment, and say that I would not host any file that violated the EULA.  I would also not want any discussions about methods to circumvent copy protection of the game (i.e. how to make the no cd-crack).

Finally, what goes on at GameToast is their business.  They have a huge modder's base, and are a great resource.  SWBFgamers can not compete with that.  I see our niche as being a place for *both* gamers and modders of SWBF. 

I also can see that they have a very rigid set of rules about posting in old topics and such.  By experience, they must have learned that approach suits their needs.  On SWBFgamers, I don't think we need to take such a rigid approach about posting in old topics.  Just keep the new post relevant to the old topic.

Wulfman:  if you want to discuss SWBF2, we have a forum for that (for now).
to all:  look at napseekers mods, I am pretty sure I recall that he had an extra unit (single player only though)
modtester:  yes, I think that modding the sptest.exe is strictly speaking a violation of the EULA (it does say ANY exe file)
modtester:  yes, I agree that I don't think LA cares at this point
me:  it doesn't matter if they don't care, I can't take the risk of hosting any file that violates the EULA--although they probably can't find you, they can find me

Quote from: Abraham Lincoln. on November 04, 1971, 12:34:40 PM
Don't believe everything you read on the internet