MPCGamers.com Tournament 2 (T.2)

Started by Jedikiller, June 27, 2010, 09:02:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
Thanks JK for hosting. It's always fun to play with/against you guys again and the PC guys which really step up the level. You'll always have the peeps who complain about lag, spawn killing, maps ect., there just frustrated with their below average play. I guess us regulars remember when just getting together and playing was fun no matter the circumstances.

Well I am sorry that I couldn't stay the entire thing. I had to go after the server crashed, for paint ball.

Can't say I was on for that long but I will play a tourney, any time. So lets do this again next time, and I'll be there.  :cheers:
photobucket limit image removed

I'm sorry i couldn't make it, i had other plans for that day :( I hope i can make it next time though.

Quote from: Jedikiller on July 17, 2010, 02:42:20 PM
I'm not saying that everyone off of MPC is a bad member of the community. I'm just saying that, in general, it seems like the Battlefront community is going downhill. Most of the regulars here don't even play Battlefront anymore. I don't, except for events like these. It's not really enjoyable to see something you work hard at setting up and managing be essentially ruined (at least for you) by a few people. It's always easier to tear something down than to put it back up.

I'm unhappy with this tournament because this tournament is not an example of how it used to be. Back then, everyone was more mature, friendly, et cetera. It's sad for me to see the Battlefront community dying.

Now, maybe some of the people playing had fun. The overall impression I got was that the majority of people did not, either because of the maps, lag, or some other thing. I don't particularly want to devote my energy to something that isn't going to be enjoyed by as many people as possible.

Just wondering, what exactly went wrong?

soz that i couldnt make it i had to practice for my interclub tournament i hope it went well and we will have another tourney soon.

I had fun for as long as I was playing in the tourney. I guess I was one of the players coming off with alot of lag comments, but that was due to my PC (a old '03' rig). I can be quite audable to all the issues that manage to crimp my score.  :rant:

Sorry if I was being a pain about server issues, but least to say I would play again and still enjoy my time with some of the best gamers around.
photobucket limit image removed

For all the people that are asking what went wrong, a few players came in at the start of the tourney and started whining about lag, how bad the choice of maps was, and how much they thought the tourney sucked. It kinda ruined the tourney and the server also ended up crashing in the middle of the 2nd map, though those guys never came back and we kinda had fun with the 6-7 people that came back to play some jabba.

This is a warning for the next tournament, if you decide to play don't whine about how bad the tournament is. Nobody's forcing you to play, so just leave. If you whine about map choice then just ask to pick the maps yourselves.
Raoul Duke: feels redneck
Raoul Duke: have to bring the family tree when looking for women

Lilly Satou: also oh my god
Lilly Satou: fried chicken in the lingo is the best thing ever

^or how about you host your own server if you don't like the maps  8)

anyhoo if you guys want to do another one sometime in august I'll be up for it.

how did it crash?

maybe in the future if we are having tournaments, the chooser, should ask the MPC community about them, just to give more of a general opinion of the maps, instead of a select few.

I wasn't aware that the server had gone back up, because even a whiner would have come back and played.

to, SchTicK, "there just frustrated with their below average play", we don't play below average. some of us came in 1/2nd place last MPC tournament, we just have different playing styles on our servers such as keeping cp mining, and sking to a minimum.

Quote from: Jamman/FearlessJew'X on July 19, 2010, 03:35:17 PM
to, SchTicK, "there just frustrated with their below average play", we don't play below average. some of us came in 1/2nd place last MPC tournament, we just have different playing styles on our servers such as keeping cp mining, and sking to a minimum.

In real tournaments like this, anything thats not hacking goes.

And you realize he was probably just saying that to urine you off, right?

Glitching doesn't go. team stunning doesn't go.

Real Tournament, as in I don't know what that is apparently, a WUSI in-Clan tourney, it wouldn't be allowed to have a constant spawn mine.

I realize that, or he wouldn't have said that, but I will respond to anything, unless a superior to the location of where the action took place tells me not to, which as of this moment isn't the case.

Each SWBF community has its own ideas what make a good match, and to some extent they can evolve too.

The MPCgamers/MacXgamers community was my first experience with online SWBF play, and matches.  The style of play is carried over from the MacXgamers group, and SWBFmac before that.

Someone can feel free to correct me, but what I recall is:

-individual tournaments would always be done to maximize your score based on pre-determined point values for kills/deaths/cp captures

• unless Bomb was hosting, then the point values and rules always seemed to change in a way that got him second place :)

-no cheating (with includes wallhacking/glitching) etc

-anything else goes in the individual tournament--spawn killing, tanking, and if it was advantageous, team killing, too I suppose--again, just try to maximize your points.  Tk was on, so that setting a spawn mine was a serious risk.

-the players would be gracious to the host, saying TFH (thanks for hosting)  It was not polite to complain about lag,
    since there was nothing that could be done about it.

-the host would usually say TFJ (thanks for joining)

Note that the mac players never got the nice dedicated server software like the PCs did, so there was never
    any knowledge of spawn protect (though I think they do have that option, it was just unknown). And, there is
    no way to disable controller aim assist.

ESL has their own way of doing things, 1.0 clans had there own way, 1.2 clan their own way, etc.  So it important
    for the players to shape thier game play to the community standards.  This last tournament had very few mac players,
    so it would be hard for the PC players that had not been a part of this community to adpapt.  But it is still incumbent
    on the player to learn the rules, in my opinion.

As for what happened to the server, I think that Jedikiller has a nice new ISP, but it is a little flakey.
    Everyone lagged out the last time he hosted, too.  It may be somthing that comes up.  It is not easy to find a
    good site to host a direct connection server.

As far as the map choice goes, the maps were made available at least a month before they were played in the tournament.Anyone that had a problem with them could have easily let jedikiller know, and I'm sure he would have picked a different one to accommodate a player.

Keep in mind that MPCgamers has its roots in the modding community, so a lot of the game play is focused on new and mod maps, even in tournaments.
Quote from: Abraham Lincoln. on November 04, 1971, 12:34:40 PM
Don't believe everything you read on the internet

As Buckler said, this is how SWBF tournaments have been run on MPC and its past forms for as long as i've been on these sites. He explained it well so reading his post before this one should be considered :)

Aside from that, this was the last tournament Jedikiller or Myself will run if someone else would like to step up and run a tournament feel free too use this forum, and if you need anything ask away we'll be glad to help.

Just keep in mind that every time Me, or JK, or someone else puts together or host these they always get complaints, be it about lag that can't be fixed, the map choices that have been posted for most of the time at least 2 weeks before the match, and so on. If you had a problem with the maps you could have suggested a change and likely, the host would have obliged. If you know of a better host that is willing to and can be there when the match is, please step up most of the time we use the best host we have step up, very rarely will someone pass up a better host.

When i can make it to a tournament, a number of times someone will be complaining, if you have ever run a tournament, or hosted a match you know what its like to have people constantly in chat yelling at you saying the maps aren't good and that its lagging bad, it drains all the fun the host has and alot of the time the players, i've had it happen, JK's had it happen, and i'm sure many many others.

So just be nice relax and have a good time, no one is there to mess up your game, they come to play and maybe even win, not to urine anyone off or complain, because lets be honest if you came to annoy people, you should just leave :)

Please, play SWBF and have fun. Don't play SWBF and get mad.

This is the final say, if you want to host a tournament make another topic. Locked.
QuoteSow the wind and reap the whirlwind
Through the rain and through the shine
Only something with a meaning can stand the test of time