24 7 dedicated server problem

Started by Xfire Keenmike aka cull, January 18, 2010, 12:21:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
Hi all, I have a few pcs at home. One is old with pentium 3 cpu. I installed a stand alone swbf1 dedicated server in it and was able to set up any map and settings I wanted. It was cool because while at work I knew I had servers to choose from and if I ever wanted I could visit mine. The problem I have is one I hope someone knows about. After having the stand alone server running for weeks at a time eventualy one night the network connection dissapeared. I tried to get the pc card to work by placing it in another slot but nothing worked. I then installed a wireless network card and was able to get internet in that old pc. I was happy and set up a stand alone swbf1 server again, but after few months the wireless card is also non responsive. The wireless card software reads a black x over the wireless bars and there is no network connection icon to click to check. Does a 24 7 stand alone dedicated swbf1 server destroy internet connections? I did notice when I joined the server that the frame per second was unlocked and I could get around 300 fps.

January 18, 2010, 06:11:01 AM #1 Last Edit: January 18, 2010, 06:12:57 AM by Buckler
Hi Cull,

No, I do not believe that the software destroys the internet connection.  I have run 1.2 PC dedicated server software for more than a year.   It is still going strong.

Somethings I would check: 
-replace the cable to router
-check your router for loose connection
-make sure that your computer case has good airflow, so as to not overheat your components

and, more importantly

]-disable windows automatic updates (could have messed up your wifi settings or PC firewall settings)

My gut feeling is that automatic updates is the culprit, assuming that you have it turned on.  Nothing messes up a computer faster, in my opinion.

Good Luck,
Buckler

Quote from: Abraham Lincoln. on November 04, 1971, 12:34:40 PM
Don't believe everything you read on the internet

Quote from: Buckler on January 18, 2010, 06:11:01 AM
My gut feeling is that automatic updates is the culprit, assuming that you have it turned on.  Nothing messes up a computer faster, in my opinion.
Buckler

Cool, to hear those wise words.

Quote from: Buckler on January 18, 2010, 06:11:01 AM
Nothing messes up a computer faster, in my opinion.

Can your pc be harmed when some spams in your server to knock it off the list of servers?

Quote from: Mike, a cull nightfriend on January 18, 2010, 07:07:46 AM
Cool, to hear those wise words.

Can your pc be harmed when some spams in your server to knock it off the list of servers?

[By messing up a computer, I am refering to a computer that needs to run the same way everytime, such as a server or media center computer.  If you web-surf, by all means keep your computer up to date. ;) ]

I don't think that server crashing can mess anything up.  A DoS attack may strain your firewall, but I expect that should be able to handle it too.

I run my server in a 1 GB ramdrive to reduce hard drive wear and tear. It saves a disk image to the harddrive and loads it back at boot up. Seems to work well.

The network issues I have had have been from the cable company, cable modem, firewall, and a loose connection on a cable that I made.

Good Luck
Buckler

Quote from: Abraham Lincoln. on November 04, 1971, 12:34:40 PM
Don't believe everything you read on the internet