Replacing stock sides

Started by SlipShot762, January 15, 2014, 07:45:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
trying to make a small mod for my sons and i to play on lan, utilizing heavily from BFX released assets, and hitting snags here and there, been at it for about 3 weeks now off and on. i has 1.3 patch installed as a base.

So basically i read everything i can find, dl the modtools and gimp, and then
1)did my clone skins the way i want them
2)create new world in modtools data_dad
3)get sides and animation from assets folder
4) copy over sides and animation from BFX (must have recoil and cockpits and land to reload missiles!!)
5)edit the odfs the way i want them (different weapons for the classes rather than the default BFX way)
6) munge; sum stuff works sum dont, i keep cleaning and starting over etc

in one case on kamino gcw i had only wookies and reb officer (replaces bothan spy with BFX crix madine model)

but still everything right on imp side. Initially i tried to make clone assassin and magnaguard as officer classes for each faction and on sum maps they'd work, others the magnaguard could not swing his staff.

no matter how hard i look i cant find a good straight shootin tutorial on re-doing stock sides, and BFX was almost perfect for us with a few changes.

What im trying to get for our lil lan game is thus:

My custom clone skins (done)

Cockpits and hafta land and reload (except for tie defender and bwing for the 7 year old they still have infinite missiles)  (also done)

keep BFX recoil and laser speed and damage and effects (mostly done, pushdeadonly thankyou)

add packs and gear to clones (done)

change many class weapons and skins, no bothan model for example, no arccasters etc...  just rifles and shotguns and pistols and what have you

everytime i think i got it, i get a bad munge or it works fine on sum levels or crashes or has bugs on others

i know im doing a hatchet job here, but i simply cannot find a tutorial on replacing stock sides.

any advice on this?

(thusfar lua scripts are not touched)

ok think i may have solved the missing units deal, sum missing/mispelled stuff in some req files i think, now if i could just get a munge w/o errors i'll test it

Sorry no one got back to you--we mostly mod for the original SWBF here, but a few also do SWBF2.  Please ask again if we can help  :cheers:
Quote from: Abraham Lincoln. on November 04, 1971, 12:34:40 PM
Don't believe everything you read on the internet

January 18, 2014, 02:35:45 PM #3 Last Edit: January 18, 2014, 02:43:45 PM by SlipShot762
BF 1 will be my next project, at present all I have done for it is hex the pistols into rifles, I intend to do better with it when I get a chance.

As for my current BF2 project, I think I've got it, had some missing req entries, and given the size of all the animations and meshes that the bfx assets folder scatters across multiple sides (I'm guessing) I keep getting those cannot find this or that asset errors...but...

As of last munge, everything appears to work except people with mine dispenser could not deploy them; since the ai is horrible at using mines, and since only I and not my sons bother to use them, I simply removed them.

I'm willing to call it done and I hope everything I learned in this undertaking will help me when I get to modding sides for BF1.

I'd like to thank you all for the numerous resources and info available which DID help, and I'm off to test every map in every mode atm to see what works and what doesn't.

Again, thank you all.

ETA

Oh, I DL'd from here the Battlebelk mission lvl tool, gonna try (later) to use it for bf2, do stuff like change the heroes on each map and the unit counts etc, might have questions about that when I get around to it. For example I wanted to make the BFX magnaguard a hero on some maps, as a default unit it never looks right to see a handful of them running around willy nilly, capturing command posts.

ETA2

I do have one question though thats relevant to me at this moment; the darktrooper, I'd like him to have a jetpack that works the same as the clonetrooper version and when i mess with it to achieve this I can almost get it....except for his lateral movement is a snails pace, very slow, no amount of adjusting acceleration in the odf seems to fix it.

I tried quintipling the accel number, making sure type is set to hover etc....still no go.

at present i gave him back the standard jump pack.

any idea how to give him clone jet trooper style flight?

Quote from: SlipShot762 on January 18, 2014, 02:35:45 PM

any idea how to give him clone jet trooper style flight?

Hmm, I would just try to copy all the values from the jet trooper ODF.  Or, you could use the jettrooper but call for the darktrooper skin, i think.

Someone here should be able to tell you better than me :)
Quote from: Abraham Lincoln. on November 04, 1971, 12:34:40 PM
Don't believe everything you read on the internet

Hello, actually I do mods for Battlefront 2. BFX assets are something I use from time to time, mostly for effects. Anyway um you might experience a bad mugne becuase of too many changes. Like perhaps you made a lot of changes before each munge and now becuase of that it could be difficult to back track and see what change cuased that particular bad munge. When you make a mod , its a really good idea to start small and work your knowledge up from that. Modding BFX to be make brief changes might have not been a good first choice since it has so many things in it and becuase of the initial file size, it would take much longer to munge all together.
Battfront Stuff if your interested.
http://www.youtube.com/user/411Remnant

Quote from: Buckler on January 18, 2014, 03:52:06 PM
Hmm, I would just try to copy all the values from the jet trooper ODF.  Or, you could use the jettrooper but call for the darktrooper skin, i think.

Someone here should be able to tell you better than me :)

I'll try this right now, thanks! (this had not occured to me, tho I did try to copy the jettroopers jetpack section and paste it over the darktroopers....I'll see if actually using the jettrooper but calling the DT skin and mesh works.

Remnant, you are correct, like all beginners we bite off more than we can chew, and trust me, this is not the first time my ambition has exceeded my ability. And yes, I did try to change a bunch of everything before the munge.

At the moment tho I'm trying to fix 2 things:

Autoturrets have black textures, they deploy they fire...but are black skinless models...trying a backup from assets on the odf and meshes now

also, mines seem to refuse to deploy...i have no idea why.

am using the mini-munge feature atm of munging from within data_dad/build/side, seems to avoid errors

Quote from: SlipShot762 on January 18, 2014, 07:17:06 PM

At the moment tho I'm trying to fix 2 things:

Autoturrets have black textures, they deploy they fire...but are black skinless models...trying a backup from assets on the odf and meshes now
Does it have the correct textures? If you have swbfveiwer open up the auto turret mesh and see if the texture it is using is in the msh folder.
Battfront Stuff if your interested.
http://www.youtube.com/user/411Remnant

Quote from: 411Remnant on January 18, 2014, 10:29:22 PM
Does it have the correct textures? If you have swbfveiwer open up the auto turret mesh and see if the texture it is using is in the msh folder.

Yes, it was a bad munge, clean and remunge fixed it.

Still no progress on the darktroopers jetpack behavior, no big deal, it can be left as default.

As of now only problem i have is my localization failed, no big deal, perfectly tolerable, and some maps crash...but with no severity 3 errors, all memory pool stuff.

I don't wanna remunge since it seems everything mungewise is good and i dont wanna muck it up, therefore, gonna try and use battlebelks mission tool to custom the default map luas to increase memory for soldier animations and maybe change heros...

and about that i have a question, would it be sufficient to simply replace cis_inf_darthmaul with cis_inf_magnaguard on the hero section, or will i also have to "addunitclass" above that?

k i think i got this

was finally able to make a proper custom mission lvl and increase memory pools so all animations work...

now, just gotta re-design what i intend to do, i think i can go a lil bigger with this, maybe cutoms sides per map, better skins, different heroes n such...

thanks all