Clone Wars Mods

Started by Breakdown, June 02, 2009, 06:47:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Are you getting bored with the Clone Wars mods?

Yes
5 (38.5%)
No
5 (38.5%)
Sorta
3 (23.1%)

Total Members Voted: 13

Voting closed: June 02, 2009, 06:47:17 AM

Are you sick of them?

Honestly, I am getting VERY tired of going on sites like GT or other places like SWBFFiles, looking at SWBF2 or even SWBF1 maps/W.I.P.'s  and all I see is:

"INCLUDES 193TH LEGION TROOPERS!!"
"EXCLUSIVELY FOR THE CLONE WARS"
"FEATURING JEDI, NAD 501ST LEGION"

It's just getting boring, of course, I AM a bit biased, because I really enjoy Napseeker's mods, and they include clone legions, but in my opinion, he does them in a sensible way, he doesn't make them overpowered, but makes them very fun to play as.

I'd really like to see GCW get some love, because I am a bit tired of clone wars rubbish, this is however my opinion, what is yours?

(Also, I supposed I could mention that I will confirm "SWBF: The GCW", as seen in the screenshots topic, will be a big mod based off the GCW, just because of my furstrations with CW)

-Breakdown

This is not ment todiscourage people from creating Clone Wars stuff, because I admit, I have fun with CW stuff from the old maps and mods for SWBF, it's just now the big wave of legion mods is boring me.

(Please don't stop making big CW mods Nap! :P)

Finally someone has come around!

I get really frustrated at the piles of CW mods, they generally are better,
because the GCW has been rarely explored!

I can't believe how boring most GCW mods are,
"Includes pointlessly  yellow dark trooper with sniper included !" Argh !
ggctuks' was brilliant, although his new flame-thrower was cool, not many other guns had
such a tweaked appeal...
(it was awesome of him too include such skin and ship variance, but not weapons...)

Basically more weapon and trooper variance would be greatly well received as a blast of fresh air!
[This all may be due to the fact I'm already a die-hard GCW fan]

Why have the rebels had so little attention as well?

I honestly have always wondered, but mainy the reason their is more CW mods is because its newer to peoples minds, many who are playing now didn't really watch and grow up with the GCW era, that and they keep making clones, and the story is already their so people don't have to create, and well people take the easy road.
QuoteSow the wind and reap the whirlwind
Through the rain and through the shine
Only something with a meaning can stand the test of time

It will take a lot of creativity to make a good GCW mod, but it can be done. I suggest that you take a look at wookiepedia. It's got loads of information on the droids and what you could make them into great modified units.

Good luck Breakdown! :cheers:

I feel that the Clone Wars is a bit more balanced on the retail sides. Although a GCW mod is different, and I think that we might find better results :D. I love the GCW era. It was really what made Star Wars so enjoyable.

#TYBG

I wanna see more Rebel mods.  Make some BA special ops looking troopers or something with silenced guns xD

Quote from: "Hardcore"I honestly have always wondered, but mainy the reason their is more CW mods is because its newer to peoples minds, many who are playing now didn't really watch and grow up with the GCW era, that and they keep making clones, and the story is already their so people don't have to create, and well people take the easy road.

This is why people like it more, because frankly the Battlefront series of games attracts many younger players and they're familiar with the "newer" Star Wars. It's flashier and there are more "booms" to entertain with.

And yes, frankly it's easier to make clone trooper legion mods (it's worth mentioning that really only the clones get changed). All you do is slap a new set of colors and lines onto an easy template and "bam," new shinies.

I personally am not a fan of all the hoopla that goes with these mods (and to be frank - the attention that the mods get - any given legion mod will get twice as many downloads as an equally good GCW-based mod of the same quality level). As someone who's "dabbled" in larger mods, it is a source of frustration that many can make "big" mods with the "same" amount of content simply by coming up with a few different color templates (and of course the attention that they subsequently receive).

However, people make mods off based on whatever it is they like. While I'd like to accuse many mods of simply "selling out" to get more downloads, the truth is that there are a lot of people who just enjoy the glitz that goes along with gruff troopers and big guns moreso than they enjoy the "adventure-fantasy" represented by the GCW. At the end of the day you can only make what you like, and if you want more of it you just need to make it yourself.

Yeah I think Hardcore has the right picture, it's more fresh in peoples minds

Thanks for all your opinions, keep em coming!  :cheers:

Agreed.  Hardcore definitely has the right idea.  I remember when the first prequel came out.  I was six years old.  I remember it because I had already grown up watching the original 3 and loved them, and my Dad took me to see the first new one, which also happened to be my first time in a movie theater.

Probably why I prefer the GCW era stuff... Probably because I associate Stormtroopers vs. Rebels and Ewoks throwing rocks at Stormtroopers with excitement and happiness, since I grew up with the original trilogy  :D  It all makes sense now.

I had something similar except with the Original saga,
the first film I ever saw at the cinema was a rerun of Empire Strikes Back (probably some sort of anniversary).
Since then I have always had a residual awe-struck admiration for the classic values.
More recent films barely scratch such ancient  principles. Modern viewers want action now !  

Few mods capture this continual struggle, the awesome might of the Empire.

Think theatrical !

To me, a mod's a mod, and I don't care what era it's in, just as long as its fun. As to why so many CW mods are made, I would say it's because clones have more variety. There are so many legions, each with their own color scheme and different weapons. For GCW, its a bunch of Wookiees, humans, and a few other alien things vs. some white-plated troopers. For me, that's kinda boring.

But that's not how it's meant to be !
That is down to the limitations of star wars battlefront  and the technical advancements since the original sage, making the prequel films more exciting.

(if the saga had been made the other way around I'm sure we'd be talking about how tiered we were of GCW mods)

The boringness of GCW is because of the default sides. Just take it from a new angle...
Rebels aren't a single force, there are different factions, different armies, guerilla troops, it's unfortunate that their side has been made as the most boring !

And Imperials are not that much different from clones, but with a few advancements after the few years...
more diversity of clones,
 the volunteers, the conscripted,
and the introduction of Imperial officers,
lieutenants and such (who carry similar weapons anyway).

QuoteTo me, a mod's a mod, and I don't care what era it's in, just as long as its fun. As to why so many CW mods are made, I would say it's because clones have more variety. There are so many legions, each with their own color scheme and different weapons. For GCW, its a bunch of Wookiees, humans, and a few other alien things vs. some white-plated troopers. For me, that's kinda boring.

The thing is that the Clone Wars took place EVERYWHERE. The GCW only took place in select isolated-but-still-habitable desert/forest worlds. There's just so much more REALISTIC potential for Clones. That being said, I really wish that for all of the CW things there would be radically different droid models. I mean, droids don't even have to be anthropomorphic! They could look like a cockroach and still be deadly.

One thing to make GCW more spicy though would be to make it more guerrilla style (think Vietnam, except the good guys are the guerillas). The rebels will be more equipped towards surprise attacks, but the Empire will have more powerful weapons. That, I think, could work.
I make signatures!

Hetalia FTW!

Quote from:  aghaha zorba, I'm going to remember you said that

dangerous narcotics are god's way of saying that its ok for idiots to auto-darwinate

I'd say the GCW took place on a wider front.
The clone wars was mainly on the outer rim, while the GCW consumed the Galaxy. (Wookiepedia :panic:  !!! )
The Empire Ruled most of the Galaxy (give or take).
What you see in the films isn't all there is to it.
And the Guerilla stile fighting was how the Rebels won anyway!
The Rebels didn't have a large single force, so they used guerilla tactics.