Star Wars Battlefront 1 PlayStation 2 Mod Project [Work-In-Progress]

Started by iamastupid, September 28, 2020, 02:19:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What is the Star Wars Battlefront 1 PS2 Mod Project?
It is pretty self-explanatory. A mod project for PS2 that brings new maps, new units and as much new content as possible to the most limited version of Battlefront 1 (2004).

Thought I would make a thread for it here on SWBFGamers since this is the site for Battlefront 1 modding, although so far we have mainly ran from the Console Mods Discord Server: https://discord.gg/RzUK8zS

The mod is still rather young but, so far it has been coming along nicely, much smaller in scope compared to the Battlefront 2 Console Mods but respectable considering a lot of the optimisation options are missing such as the portal system and configurable model and texture memory.

New Units
Currently 1 new unit has been added to each of the stock sides. (All from the beta/alpha versions of Battlefront 1.)

Clone Commander
[spoiler][/spoiler]
Assassin Droid
[spoiler][/spoiler]
Bothan Spy
[spoiler][/spoiler]
Imperial Officer
[spoiler][/spoiler]

New Maps

Tried to convert existing BF1 mod maps, the limitations of the PS2 version are painful. Hence why so few maps are currently added. I've made an unsuccessful attempt at maps such as Sullust: Garrison, Ilum: Crystal Canyon and some other Sereja maps but the limits are very tight as I will explain later on.

Teancum's Haruun Kal
[spoiler][/spoiler]

Sereja's Dagobah Swamp

Sereja's Naboo: Theed (Night)
[spoiler][/spoiler]

Sereja's Quarzite Subtram (Just barely working with all but 1 unit per team loaded, model memory limits)
[spoiler][/spoiler]

Psych0fred's Chain Isle
[spoiler][/spoiler]

(That's it for now, more maps coming soon! :D)

New Historical Campaign Missions
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

New Heroes
[spoiler][/spoiler]

Every stock map has also received a incredibly subtle touch up to make it a little better looking even with the  :censored: low resolution textures. I won't post screenshots for these sadly.

There is no real purpose to this mod, I just like to bring all the exciting new content from PC to another platform which makes for some real cool content for a cfw console.
I intend to bring everything from the PS2 mod to the Xbox as well once it is finalised. Then new content can be made for the Xbox with the increased limits.

What are the limits for PS2?
This is for maps, sides for now should be ignored.
In total we have about 16mb we can allocate towards loaded content such as sides and maps.
This adds up roughly to 6mb model limit and 10mb for textures.
As you can see, very tough to find maps that fit just that model limit since textures would pretty much always need to be resized.

I would love to hear feedback and ideas for this mod, hopefully this post has made a few more people interested in modding for the Console versions and I am happy to help teach people the process.  :moo:

NICE. Happy to see Haruun Kal making a play. Not my best work, but I still have a soft spot for it. Let me know if I can help.

The BF1 limit is about 16MB for textures and 6MB or less for models.
Never let a person named AnthonyBF2 touch your BF2.

Awesome!
Glad to see a post for this Mod over here.

A couple questions:

• Do you know what are the model and texture limits for the Xbox version?
  • In the SWBF2 mission files they have functions 'StealArtistHeap()' and SetPS2ModelMemory(); do those also exist for SWBF1?
  •      If so, have you used them in your maps?

Also... I don't remember SWBF1 mod tools supporting anything but PC, what's your munge process?

Quote from: BAD_AL on September 30, 2020, 02:06:16 PM
Awesome!
Glad to see a post for this Mod over here.

A couple questions:

• Do you know what are the model and texture limits for the Xbox version?
  • In the SWBF2 mission files they have functions 'StealArtistHeap()' and SetPS2ModelMemory(); do those also exist for SWBF1?
  •      If so, have you used them in your maps?

Also... I don't remember SWBF1 mod tools supporting anything but PC, what's your munge process?
I do not know the limitations of the Xbox version of Battlefront 1.
No, StealArtistHeap and SetPs2ModelMemory do not exist as functions for Battlefront 1 which greatly lowers potential model memory and fixes it at 6mb.
The munge tools need to be modified to change all references of -platform pc to -platform ps2.

Also, two new maps have entered the map pool:

Alzoc III: Blizzard by dave wsa30h and GAB
[spoiler]https://youtu.be/cdqWzRneoSM[/spoiler]

Scarif: Landing Pad 13 by Giftheck
[spoiler][/spoiler]

great work my friend cant wait to play this on my ps2  :cheer:
mods and maps in progress:<br />--Bf1 expanded edition 3.0 version
-- bf1 tcw battles
-- bf1 seasons mod season 1
-- bf2 expanded edition tbh

How would I get this on my PS2? My little brother and I love playing BF1 on PS2 (we can't get it to work on PC), and we've already played the stock maps to death. I personally would love to play my custom map with him, but I wouldn't know how to get it working on PS2 (if it would work at all that is).
In the Soviet Army, it takes more courage to retreat than advance.

You need a modded PS2, which is usually done by softmodding - acquiring a FreeMCBoot Memory Card, or using the FreeDVDBoot exploit discovered this year.  Both methods are widely discussed all over the Internet, so it shouldn't be too difficult to get set up.

The BOBclan:  A Rich History

Quote from: Unit 33 on November 29, 2014, 03:44:44 AM
'Please, tell me more about the logistics of the design of laser swords being wielded by space wizards' - Some guy on the internet.

Looking at Quarzite the MSH files equate to 2.73mb. I don't know the compiled number yet. Looking into what I can do to simplify. One thing is being able to instantiate over just repeating the same model multiple times. For example there are many chair models "auto placed" based on their position in the world. We could export one at the origin (0,0,0) and then placing instances of the same model.

The chair is a bad example, at only 13kb each, but there might be sections of the train hull I can reuse.

**EDIT**
There are also chunks that have a proper lowrez model. If they all line up properly we can just duplicate those.

**EDIT #2**
Sereja was clever. The train actually mirrors itself from the center. Solution? Delete half of the models from the middle out, then place instances of what remains, rotate 180 degrees, and position them. Now you've mirrored the train again via instantiating instead of loading double the models. Theoretically if you place the middle model and rotate it you should get the coordinates for the rest of the models to be placed.