Nostalgia for SWBF, Tunngle Sucks and Other Stuff

Started by SleepKiller, November 11, 2013, 04:57:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Read the post before voting and don't just click something randomly.

Aye
15 (93.8%)
Nay
1 (6.3%)

Total Members Voted: 16

Voting closed: November 18, 2013, 04:57:18 AM

Hi there you! Remember me? That guy with out a life who made mods? What you don't? I've only been gone a couple months.

I've been missing online SWBF lately and I really want to play a good game of it again. Led has informed me there is a night happening on the 30th. Which I will try to make. But this brings me to my Tunngle Sucks thing.

It isn't that their service sucks or that it is bad at what it does. It is just the fact that it sucks that we have to use it. Now we don't have a whole lot of choice there is Openspy which we could potentially get working or there are other VPN services. Both of these require a software download and split the already small community. (Does the later matter at this point though? Is SWBFGamers all there is left?)

But here is my idea. Direct Connections. If I remember correctly they worked on OpenSpy without the need for a download. So we get Direct IP working again and we get a way to play MP with out having to download anything at all.

So vote Aye only if you're in favour of this being done and would actually play it. (This would involve a decent amount of work. No point it trying to do it if no one wants it.) Vote Nay if you don't think it is a good idea and feel that Tunngle is enough. (If any of you actually vote for that I will be surprised.)

While I am sort of on the subject a couple people have asked me for my copy of the Openspy source. [spoiler]I am so sorry that I haven't gotten back to any of you sooner. (I seriously am.) The thing is I haven't documented anything I did to get it to compile, what libraries are needed and what needs to go into the database. I have it in random scattered notes (Which I don't entirely know where they are.) and in my head. Basically it is a bigger task than it seems. Not that big, but real life doesn't care about that and I have to prioritize what I do. (Granted a lot of what I do is play games. But I enjoy doing that so it takes priority.) If I can find the time, I'll upload it here with some documentation. And I also just keep forgetting. [/spoiler] So yeah that was a little explanation of why I haven't given it to any of you yet.

Please forgive any misspellings, inconsistencies or any form of mistake in this post. It is late (2AM) and I am tired. (I'll probably look at this tomorrow and wonder what I was thinking writing it so late.)

(What is best for me- Do whetever you need to get Openspy working again. It's the only way for me to play SWBF online again.

(What is best for the community- Hmm...   Why do you guys think a lot of people will get lost in the change? If you  advertise a "New, better way to play!", along with "Check out SWBFGamers to see what all the fuss is about!" will let people know that change is happening.

I say we do it, but let's have servers on both Tunngle and Openspy.

Ask your friendly WgT member about joining today!

I may play only DC anyway, so the choise for me, is simple: if you make it to work, I may try to play, if not - never then.
Beauty is, the way to perfection.

Glory to Ukraine!  :mf:

Uhhhh... repeat everything you said about OpenSpy and Tunngle but to where a five year-old with down syndrome can understand
"I would explain it to you but your head might explode."

I fully support the DC idea. I think it would be way easier to play multiplayer that way, plus it might get more people involved in the community.

not exactly dumbing it down to my standards

Quote from: {TCE}Call-of-Duty on November 11, 2013, 07:04:31 AM
not exactly dumbing it down to my standards

He wasn't talking to you.  :P  ;)

Quote from: {TCE}Call-of-Duty on November 11, 2013, 06:55:28 AM
Uhhhh... repeat everything you said about OpenSpy and Tunngle but to where a five year-old with down syndrome can understand

Vote aye if you want less community, but better servers.
Vote nay if you want everything to stay the same. (Bad servers but more community)

Don't feel bad, it took me a couple times to figure out what SK was talking about. And you where never here for the original Openspy talk.

why would there be less of the community

November 11, 2013, 07:34:07 AM #8 Last Edit: November 11, 2013, 08:20:37 AM by Carbon27
Quote from: {TCE}Call-of-Duty on November 11, 2013, 07:26:46 AM
why would there be less of the community
Not everyone who plays SWBF is on this site. They wouldn't know why all the servers are gone, and they would leave. (Examples from when servers went under: Matt, Kelly, Joel, etc.) Or people who don't want to go through the hassle of trying to get Openspy to work.

EDIT: SK if you need a test monkey or guinea pig, me, my PC, and my disk are willing to serve!  :cheers:

This may take a while to decide... can't we PM some of them of Xfire

Keep in mind, there are some of those players that are on this site, they just don't necessarily post in the forums. Besides, it's basically like Josh said, vote aye if you want better servers, with less-ish people, or nay for everything the same.

Personally, I vote aye, just because my clan has a few members who can't work Tunngle at all, and I knew a few others outside the clan that don't use Tunngle as well.

It's been so long since I've used tunngle.. I haven't played SWBF in.. Oh 6 months? *online of course*
I test models in my jacked up test map every month or so, on an unconnected lan line :P
--
I seriously doubt the community will get any smaller, the rest of us are dedicated to have our disks in till they break.

I would seriously consider DC, it's pretty simple.
--
Thanks for the continued work, I'm sure most people would have given up a long time ago..

Quote from: -RepublicCommando- on November 11, 2013, 08:16:58 AM
the rest of us are dedicated to have our disks in till they break.
Thank God I have multiple BF1 discs

Firstly I want to see if the SWBF days work but I really don't mind how I play. Tunngle can be annoying to launch all the time but most people know about it now. I'm not sure if switching to something like Openspy would gain many people but it would be nice to join battlefront using just the game.
I do like the idea of DCs though, it would be nice to get a guaranteed method to play for PCs and Macs.

I'll admit that I haven't played for a week or two but that's just because I got Assassins creed 4 so I normally disappear around this time of year. Whatever happens I'll still be playing a few times a month for at least a few years more. :)

[spoiler]Good to see you back Sleepkiller:)[/spoiler]
I play less now but I'll always be around, lets keep this site and battlefront going. :)