Generic Radar Dicussions 2.0

Started by SleepKiller, July 29, 2013, 05:31:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
July 29, 2013, 05:31:36 AM Last Edit: August 01, 2013, 05:28:30 AM by Buckler
Just a reminder to keep things constructive and civil guys. The last thing we want is this turning into. "Radar Mod? 2.0"

I was actually thinking something along these lines:
I have been doing a lot of work on a third era mod.  I have been able to get it to read whatever level you pick (Stock or Addon, there are a couple exceptions), and then it uses only one lua file that loads everything you need.  What could be done is have an ICW mod basically.  New shell, mission, and extra side files would be all it would need, and it works for every map.  I'm going to try messing with the .lua a little bit more (it's having issues atm).

I am curious as to whether a "radar class randomizer" would work though.

Another thought I had was just have side mods that give the special classes a "sensor drone" that, when deployed, gives a radar effect.  Recon droid kind of does it already, though, I guess.
The BOBclan:  A Rich History

Quote from: Unit 33 on November 29, 2014, 03:44:44 AM
'Please, tell me more about the logistics of the design of laser swords being wielded by space wizards' - Some guy on the internet.

July 31, 2013, 04:44:55 PM #2 Last Edit: July 31, 2013, 05:06:14 PM by Phobos
I don't see how mods can 'ruin tournaments' after all half the maps are mods. Adding radar to them is just as easy as adding the map to the addon folder. Opposing all types of mods for a tournament results in ruining the fun of players who enjoy modifying the aesthetics of their game screen. Modding tools for swbf1 would have never been released if pandemic was against modding the game. It's more like the hate towards mods ruins the fun not the mods themselves.

Quote from: Phobos on July 31, 2013, 04:44:55 PM
I don't see how mods can 'ruin tournaments' after all half the maps are mods. Adding radar to them is just as easy as adding the map to the addon folder. Opposing all types of mods for a tournament results in ruining the fun of players who enjoy modifying the aesthetics of their game screen. Modding tools for swbf1 would have never been released if pandemic was against modding the game. It's more like the hate towards mods ruins the fun not the mods themselves.

Well if minimap hack is a mod then sniperAA is also a mod because pandemic put AA in the game already just took a modification to put it on the sniper also let me give you an example of how it isn't fair and ruins the game...take two people in ships, the way people in planes can kill each other is either directly head on or attacking from behind which would mean you'd have to get behind them. How exactly is that possible if someone is using minimap hack if they know exactly where you are? Exactly how do you navigate behind someone if they can see where you are coming from? And also...if two people are using minimap hack; more times than not they end up flying into each other trying to flank them, not only does it ruin that aspect of the game but air superiority on maps such as Ord Mantell is essential to win.

July 31, 2013, 05:32:22 PM #4 Last Edit: July 31, 2013, 05:39:42 PM by Phobos
Quote from: WusiBabyEater on July 31, 2013, 05:27:26 PM
Well if minimap hack is a mod then sniperAA is also a mod because pandemic put AA in the game already just took a modification to put it on the sniper also let me give you an example of how it isn't fair and ruins the game...take two people in ships, the way people in planes can kill each other is either directly head on or attacking from behind which would mean you'd have to get behind them. How exactly is that possible if someone is using minimap hack if they know exactly where you are? Exactly how do you navigate behind someone if they can see where you are coming from? And also...if two people are using minimap hack; more times than not they end up flying into each other trying to flank them, not only does it ruin that aspect of the game but air superiority on maps such as Ord Mantell is essential to win.
Minimap hack is not radar mod, they are not the same thing. Sniper Autoaim is a mod yea because you mod the ODF, its a hack when you develop a trainer that alters the memory. true victory is not about only flanking and relying on cheap kills, its about winning all types of battles, whether from behind or up front. Using radar mod does not mean you're using a minimap hack, since you didn't hack the game memory or build a trainer, you just modded the LVL, like a sniper autoaim ODF. or heat seeking rocket. difference is AA mods are server side mods that can ruin the game, unlike radar which is client side and not forcably limited to certain teams/units. its funny how someone who knows nothing about modding or hacking constantly confuses the plain and simple differences. trainers and lvl files are completely different, not the same thing, one is a hack, the other is a mod. this thread is a vote about radar mod, nothing about hacks.

pandemic added /noaim because they felt AA could be abused. they did not add /noradar because they did not feel radar could be abused. both mods are ODF based.

July 31, 2013, 06:02:15 PM #5 Last Edit: July 31, 2013, 06:04:24 PM by Phobos
Quote from: Dark_Phantom on July 31, 2013, 05:39:20 PM
Note:  Recon droid has radar.  A watered down (small radius) version, but STOCK recon has radar.
So does the STOCK AT-AT walkers on Hoth. It was in the ODF for that vehicle I discovered psych0fred's notes on scanning and transmit range. Inarguable proof that the ODF mod code for radar support was added to swbf1 by pandemic intentionally.

Quote from: Phobos on July 31, 2013, 04:44:55 PM

Attention Phobos,

If you read my post correctly, I stated that I was against modifications to be used in ANY Star Wars Tournament such as RADAR and modifications SIMILAR TO RADAR! Maps and texture packs (for example) do not fit in this category. So please, if you are going to debate with me.. do it correctly :). As of now, I simply urge everyone to vote NO on this topic. Radar is a modification that gives an unfair advantage to the user over every other player. Yes, I also do think that a modification SIMILAR TO radar will ruin THE TOURNAMENT(S). The radar modification will ruin the traditional values and settings of the star wars battlefront tournament. Again, I DO NOT CARE IF YOU USE ANY MODIFICATIONS WHATSOEVER IN YOUR OWN SERVER!!

Thank you,

{DarkSith}General.Kevin

*Note: Nothing I say or do on these forums represents {DarkSith} in any way, shape, or form.

Hello gamers out there. I am just here to serve the Republic.
My YouTube channel: (AD FREE) http://www.youtube.com/user/kevinkimbro01
Please note that nothing I say or do on swbfgamers.com reflects upon {DarkSith} in any way, shape, or form. Thank you for your understanding.

Quote from: admiralkevin01 on July 31, 2013, 06:11:14 PM
Attention Phobos,

If you read my post correctly, I stated that I was against modifications to be used in ANY Star Wars Tournament such as RADAR and modifications SIMILAR TO RADAR! Maps and texture packs (for example) do not fit in this category. So please, if you are going to debate with me.. do it correctly :). As of now, I simply urge everyone to vote NO on this topic. Radar is a modification that gives an unfair advantage to the user over every other player. Yes, I also do think that a modification SIMILAR TO radar will ruin THE TOURNAMENT(S). The radar modification will ruin the traditional values and settings of the star wars battlefront tournament. Again, I DO NOT CARE IF YOU USE ANY MODIFICATIONS WHATSOEVER IN YOUR OWN SERVER!!

Thank you,

{DarkSith}General.Kevin

*Note: Nothing I say or do on these forums represents {DarkSith} in any way, shape, or form.
Doesn't really matter, whoever wants to use radar in the tournament will use it anyway. With a slim chance of getting caught.

July 31, 2013, 06:15:32 PM #8 Last Edit: July 31, 2013, 06:19:53 PM by Phobos
Quote from: admiralkevin01 on July 31, 2013, 06:11:14 PM
Attention Phobos,

Thank you,

{DarkSith}General.Kevin

You specifically said
Quote from: admiralkevin01 on July 31, 2013, 04:37:18 PM
I believe that radar should be disallowed from any gaming tournament along with any other modifications that allows a user to gain an advantage over the other player
"any mod that gives an advantage." Map skins with removed brush give an advantage, so now you are contradicting yourself by claiming that you aren't against maps and reskins.

Radar is a mod that gives a fair advantage, it is fair because every player can choose to use it or not. It would only be unfair if certain players players could not use the mod, but there is nothing a server host can do to prevent radar, thus making it FAIR. You can't just claim radar is unfair because you CHOOSE not to use it. If you were unable to choose to use radar, then you could argue it is unfair. Like glitching in a wall, once you are in the wall you can kill others without being killed, and prevent them from getting in the wall, this is an example of an unfair advantage. Radar provides a slight advantage to those who choose to utilize it, giving players more information about the battle, and is always available to any players (unless the server is using a mod map specifically designed to counter radar use)

The radar mod has not ruined traditional values and settings because it has existed before any tournaments did, or even modding itself. It did not ruin the first two ICWs and would not ruin this one.

Quote from: Ten Numb on July 31, 2013, 06:13:02 PM
Doesn't really matter, whoever wants to use radar in the tournament will use it anyway. With a slim chance of getting caught.
Then why was this forum created in the first place? We all know who is going to use the radar and who isn't. If that isn't obvious to you, then you need to see your optometrist to check your eyes out again.
Please note that nothing I say or do on swbfgamers.com reflects upon {DarkSith} in any way, shape, or form. Thank you for your understanding.

July 31, 2013, 06:17:37 PM #10 Last Edit: July 31, 2013, 06:20:48 PM by Ten Numb
Quote from: admiralkevin01 on July 31, 2013, 06:16:32 PM
Then why was this forum created in the first place? We all know who is going to use the radar and who isn't. If that isn't obvious to you, then you need to see your optometrist to check your eyes out again.
I was wondering the same thing lol (about why topic was created, not forum).

Quote from: Phobos on July 31, 2013, 06:15:32 PM
You specifically said"any mod that gives an advantage." Map skins with removed brush give an advantage, so now you are contradicting yourself by claiming that you aren't against maps and reskins.

Radar is a mod that gives a fair advantage, it is fair because every player can choose to use it or not. It would only be unfair if certain players players could not use the mod, but there is nothing a server host can do to prevent radar, thus making it FAIR.

The radar mod has not ruined traditional values and settings because it has existed before any tournaments did, or even modding itself. It did not ruin the first two ICWs and would not ruin this one.
Strike 2... If you could read this of course... I didn't contradict myself because I am not a heavy "mod" user myself. I only know of the normal texture skins for star wars battlefront that change the appearance of a side as in: the rebels will look like imperials or the imperials will look like rebels; different color uniforms; so on and so forth. Custom maps.. how could that ever be an unfair advantage? Maps are always updated or posted somewhere in the mod section of the star wars community..

Quote from: admiralkevin01 on July 31, 2013, 06:19:27 PM
Strike 2... If you could read this of course... I didn't contradict myself because I am not a heavy "mod" user myself. I only know of the normal texture skins for star wars battlefront that change the appearance of a side as in: the rebels will look like imperials or the imperials will look like rebels; different color uniforms; so on and so forth. Custom maps.. how could that ever be an unfair advantage? Maps are always updated or posted somewhere in the mod section of the star wars community..
Your claims about skin and radar mods being "unfair" are ludicrous and incorrect. Re-read my previous post which pointed out your contradiction. At least define the difference  between fair and unfair as I have.

Quote from: Phobos on July 31, 2013, 05:32:22 PM
Minimap hack is not radar mod, they are not the same thing. Sniper Autoaim is a mod yea because you mod the ODF, its a hack when you develop a trainer that alters the memory. true victory is not about only flanking and relying on cheap kills, its about winning all types of battles, whether from behind or up front. Using radar mod does not mean you're using a minimap hack, since you didn't hack the game memory or build a trainer, you just modded the LVL, like a sniper autoaim ODF. or heat seeking rocket. difference is AA mods are server side mods that can ruin the game, unlike radar which is client side and not forcably limited to certain teams/units. its funny how someone who knows nothing about modding or hacking constantly confuses the plain and simple differences. trainers and lvl files are completely different, not the same thing, one is a hack, the other is a mod. this thread is a vote about radar mod, nothing about hacks.

pandemic added /noaim because they felt AA could be abused. they did not add /noradar because they did not feel radar could be abused. both mods are ODF based.

Its funny how you completely ignored my example on how it is bad or more over think I don't know how to mod haha...I actually do know how to mod but in my opinion swbf mods suck, so that why I don't waist my time modding in a 10 year old game and then brag how amazing they are hahaha...And I do know how to make the radar mod hack unlike half of the people who use it and which I doubt you were the one who originally created it. 

I voted no on minimap hack because it diminishes game play in restricting not only general plan making but over all strategy. I for one would not only applaud someone who flanked my plan but id be suprised because we talk about map strategy as a group as a clan and as brothers at arms to formulate, calculate and actually use my brain as well as everyone elses to think of where the enemy is coming from how many to expect and how to counter what they plan. With minimap hack all of that is not only tarnished and ruined but completely impossible to do since one person on the enemy team could potentially blow the entire plan if they are using the hack which brings me to this point on cheating in an online video game "Cheating in video games involves a video game player using non-standard methods for creating an advantage beyond normal gameplay, usually to make the game easier" knowing where your enemy from using minimap hack is a very clear advantage beyond normal gameplay and ruins peoples fun in general....if you haven't ever planned a strategy before I invite anyone who hasn't to a faux plan making chatroom assuming minimap hack isn't implemented in the tournament and show you how WUSI's done it forever.

No one is going to change their position on this. The people against radar will continue to think so. Those for it won't be against it. Each side will think they can use reason to make their point, but in the end no one will change their position. So let's leave it at that.