SWBF2004 Classic on Mac via Porting Kit: 1.2 Downgrade Installation Black Screen

Started by mbfree, August 07, 2023, 10:37:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
Hello,

I play Battlefront 2004 thru Steam on my MacBook using Porting Kit. I have no issues with the game except for crashing on certain modded maps caused by the 1.3 update, plus some FOV issues.

I am trying to revert to the 1.2 update provided by wsa30h. I've successfully installed it, all the files are in the right place per the instructions. However, whenever I try to boot it up, through Steam or the .exe, I get a black screen that only shows the blue cursor after the initial loading screen.

Any ideas on how to fix? Or is this an issue of me playing SWBF2004 through a program that uses Wine.

Thanks.

Other issues I've noticed having with 1.3 that have made me want to switch to 1.2:

No fly-through movies for add-on maps.
Weird LOD issues with AI. For example, low poly character model with no animations about 20 feet away from my character.
Sound issues with announcers on certain maps. Can't seem to replicate it.
Custom strings displaying incorrectly. For example, a custom T-21 blaster might read as 0x.
Low-res main menu.

1.3 was always a half baked beta and still is.

I don't know what wasohs coversion kit is (is there a link to it on this site?).  I recommend you use one of ours.

Also note that modmaps can give issues for every version.   :cheers:

Quote from: Abraham Lincoln. on November 04, 1971, 12:34:40 PM
Don't believe everything you read on the internet

Thanks for the reply.

Where can I find a 1.2 conversion kit here? I'm struggling to find one.

The SWBFspy patch on the homepage also includes 1.2. Using any 1.2 patch will mean you can't play on steam servers but there are servers for 1.2 on SWBFspy if you want to play online. Best way to install is to verify files on steam first to restore the game so you can start the install fresh.
I play less now but I'll always be around, lets keep this site and battlefront going. :)

I can't seem to find the file that includes the 1.2 patch. I downloaded one called "SWBFSpy SWBF1 Patch - Steam Players" but it doesn't seem to include the patch. It said that all is needed to revert to SWBFSpy is the common.lvl, shell.lvl and executable. However it contains no .exe.

Can you please link it for me?

Ok now I realize I just didn't rename the .exe.

However, I get the exact same issue I listed before. Black screen with normal blue battlefront cursor after initial loading screen.

Do you have discord? Someone can probably walk you through any problems there. I also made this video for someone else https://youtu.be/S60h6VceKSc
I play less now but I'll always be around, lets keep this site and battlefront going. :)

I'd recommend purchasing SWBFI on GOG.com. Then download GOG Galaxy and you can revert the game version and download the 1.2 version then install to the port like usual.
http://www.swbfgamers.com/index.php?topic=14810.msg126695#msg126695