Netcode

Started by JaKeCrAzY, November 16, 2020, 09:17:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
Why is it that the netcode in this game is so trash even over LAN? I have played plenty of other FPS games from this era and they don't play near as bad as SWBF2. I noticed that in LAN the bots skip around in the distance and often just stand around or spin in circles. Setting a higher tickrate, turning off lag compensation, and turning off lag jumps does not fix these strange quirks.

Maybe the problem is your internet, pal! I never had a single issue like that and I've played the game for 10 years  ;)
Anyder | Talent, Ops & Culture | SWBF & Player Engagement
Email: communityambassador@swbfgamers.com
SWBFSpy Discord: http://discord.swbfspy.com
SWBFSpy Info: http://info.swbfspy.com

November 16, 2020, 02:03:52 PM #2 Last Edit: November 16, 2020, 02:05:25 PM by Led
Quote from: JaKeCrAzY on November 16, 2020, 09:17:22 AM
Why is it that the netcode in this game is so trash even over LAN? I have played plenty of other FPS games from this era and they don't play near as bad as SWBF2. I noticed that in LAN the bots skip around in the distance and often just stand around or spin in circles. Setting a higher tickrate, turning off lag compensation, and turning off lag jumps does not fix these strange quirks.

What version of SWBF2 do you play?  The original disk versions or GoG/Steam?
Are you on PC or PS2 (xbox?) ?

Are you hosting through the game or the hosting tools?
Quote from: Abraham Lincoln. on November 04, 1971, 12:34:40 PM
Don't believe everything you read on the internet

Quote from: Led on November 16, 2020, 02:03:52 PM
What version of SWBF2 do you play?  The original disk versions or GoG/Steam?
Are you on PC or PS2 (xbox?) ?

Are you hosting through the game or the hosting tools?

My friends and I use the disk copy of the game on PC and normally just play over a local area network. I have hosted with the server executable and the client executable both before. There is no latency issues to be seen with human players only strange behavior from the AI such as occasionally spinning in circles or teleporting in the distance seen from connected clients but not the host. The more bots the worse it gets as if the game does a very bad job at syncing movement and predicting where AI is going or maybe not as much memory is allocated like instant action.

Quote from: JaKeCrAzY on November 17, 2020, 11:22:45 PM
My friends and I use the disk copy of the game on PC and normally just play over a local area network. I have hosted with the server executable and the client executable both before. There is no latency issues to be seen with human players only strange behavior from the AI such as occasionally spinning in circles or teleporting in the distance seen from connected clients but not the host. The more bots the worse it gets as if the game does a very bad job at syncing movement and predicting where AI is going or maybe not as much memory is allocated like instant action.

I believe the tick rate (server) and frame rate (client) are uncapped in LAN mode.  (I know more about SWBF1 than SWBF2).  If you are on wireless, the occasional glitch may be from interference of your wi-fi.

Otherwise, everything has its limits.  I have noticed in "modern" games, that multiplayer often means 4 people (not 50 like the original SWBF) and that AI is limited.
Quote from: Abraham Lincoln. on November 04, 1971, 12:34:40 PM
Don't believe everything you read on the internet

Quote from: JaKeCrAzY on November 17, 2020, 11:22:45 PM
That is because the bots from 2005 are not as good as the ones from 2015. Spinning in circles is, from what I can tell, a normal behavior in both SWBF1 & SWBF2. But teleporting is something I never saw.

Quote from: Led on November 18, 2020, 05:03:28 AM
I believe the tick rate (server) and frame rate (client) are uncapped in LAN mode.  (I know more about SWBF1 than SWBF2).  If you are on wireless, the occasional glitch may be from interference of your wi-fi.
TPS are "limited" in both LAN & Internet (usually to 30, but of course you can modify it and make it be 40 if you want). As for the client, TPS are limited to 80 unless you hexedit the exe and change its value. For instance I have mine set to 120 (I usually cap all my games to these FPS), but I don't think that affects much in the gaming experience -- not like in SWBF1 where /noframelock makes the game much smoother.

@JaKeCrAzY if you wish to give a shot to the FPS increase and see if it helps, let me know, else there's nothing we can do about it. The game's just old.
Anyder | Talent, Ops & Culture | SWBF & Player Engagement
Email: communityambassador@swbfgamers.com
SWBFSpy Discord: http://discord.swbfspy.com
SWBFSpy Info: http://info.swbfspy.com