Space Map thoughts

Started by Hardcore, January 04, 2013, 02:16:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
I had this thought a long time ago and never took any steps towards making or thinking if it was even possible but i was reading something today that brought it back into my mind so i figured i'd throw it out here incase anyone else wanted to or had already dug into the deeps pits of my thoughts for it.

So first off, i hate and love the flying aspect of SWBF i love it in that its fun to have ship battles, i hate it in that it lacks any depth or range of equality.

the biggest problems with space battle maps that i've always had is depth....they are great and fun for about 10 minutes and after you both kill eachother 10 times you get bored and change maps.

Now i know SWBF is not friendly to space battles tho seeing that SWBF1 is currently (generally speaking) limited to 5 different characters per team. ships seems like a huge way to add depth and slight advantages and disadvantages from ship to ship, even if you can't make 20 different models just reskinning them pretty dramatically and changing colors would be viable.

The second part of my idea was unit attributes its basically what it sounds like.....currently pilots repair ships when they are flying them and thats the only change from character to character......it could add a good bit of depth if you had each of the 5 units gain some bonus when flying ships....one can be a mechanic that repairs ships while he is flying.....another can be as simple as a skilled pilot and he gains some maneuverability and so on. really the current bonus doesn't even make much sense....most pilots know how to fly not repair ships.

The final thought on what makes space battles lacking is things in space is space. Look at almost all of the "two ship" space fights in SWBF1/2 honestly they are boring with so much open space.....and i know it sounds weird but some of the best parts of bespin is having those places to fly around and hide from incoming rocket locks.

This turned into a much longer post then i had expected but i just had too much to say on the matter i guess......started with just the unit attributes, anyhow there you have it for those thinking of making space battle maps.
QuoteSow the wind and reap the whirlwind
Through the rain and through the shine
Only something with a meaning can stand the test of time

LoL sorry dude, but I havent read that hyper long comment xd, thats too much to read and im too lazy to do it :P (not meaning this with any bad)
I think there are some Space maps from bf2 to bf1, but idk, maybe SK can convert the Felucia Space Map (sweet one --for me--).
Since lucasfiles is down, I wont lie, I havent checked any modmap that wasnt neccesary for any tourney or game.
Gl at finding this :)
Anyder | Talent, Ops & Culture | SWBF & Player Engagement
Email: communityambassador@swbfgamers.com
SWBFSpy Discord: http://discord.swbfspy.com
SWBFSpy Info: http://info.swbfspy.com

I really like the Space Courscant space map the bes out of all of them.
Proud [Freelancer Consortium] Member! [FC]Leader.Helios

I certainly agree that space maps rarely make us of "space," but this is due to the extreme limitations of bot routing, perhaps if a space map was developed with MP in mind it could be a lot more fun with dense cluster of asteroids and ship débris.

Another issue is the limitations of ZE... capital ships and even frigates take up a lot of the available room.
There are plenty of ship models and skins out there, and I'm not entirely sure why they all haven't been used, previous maps have stuck mostly with the vanilla SWBF2 ones.

Quote from: UNIT 33 on January 04, 2013, 06:01:05 AM
I certainly agree that space maps rarely make us of "space," but this is due to the extreme limitations of bot routing, perhaps if a space map was developed with MP in mind it could be a lot more fun with dense cluster of asteroids and ship débris.

lol, i can already see myself flying true the asteroids...
Lagg = dead

"Better not be at all than not be noble" - Lord Alfred Tennyson
https://www.facebook.com/SWBFGamers
https://twitter.com/swbfuniverse

Quote from: UNIT 33 on January 04, 2013, 06:01:05 AM

Another issue is the limitations of ZE... capital ships and even frigates take up a lot of the available room.
There are plenty of ship models and skins out there, and I'm not entirely sure why they all haven't been used, previous maps have stuck mostly with the vanilla SWBF2 ones.
Good ideas

Endor Space is great for multiplayer
NapSeekers Battle Over Coruscant map is very entertaining but there aren't many Space fights, it more indoors. But it could be fun in Multiplayer...

I think, if you wanted ship-to-ship combat you should make it planet based. Like Platforms.
That way the AI only have to get in ships. But the key to a good space map is to make it challenging for the person. And to make it so the ships rotate so that you aren't waiting for a ship for 20 mins.
It would inlcude lots of Anti-Air Turrents that AI actually get into. ( those turrents kill me all the time on Platforms ) and towers for the AI to run into so that the ships keep rotating. To make a good ship-to-ship map you really have to think about:
How to keep the ships rotating
Make it challenging for the player but not so challenging that there aren't any AI to fight
and
make it last "just long enough"

The problem with space battles in swbf1 is that, when the only place you can fi9ght is space, after the enemy's reinforcement count get below a number, they bail out of their ships, ad ddont get back in them, meaning that either you have to go in the hanger, or you have to go against 20+ ships by yourself.

Quote from: Ltin on January 04, 2013, 12:38:01 PM
The problem with space battles in swbf1 is that, when the only place you can fi9ght is space, after the enemy's reinforcement count get below a number, they bail out of their ships, ad ddont get back in them, meaning that either you have to go in the hanger, or you have to go against 20+ ships by yourself.
This problem, was easy solved, in my unfinished space type map, "Yavin IV: Ocean of Storms". I just put "vacuum region" (edited recharge station), in each hangar, so, everyone may choose: fly or die! That's it.
Beauty is, the way to perfection.

Glory to Ukraine!  :mf:

Sereja+Space Map=AMAZING!!!!
How far are you on that map Sereja? What map are you working on right now?

I start this map, before Nar Shaddaa, since it's number 015.
But just has no time, to finish it:
[spoiler][/spoiler]
I still, need to learn, how to made alarm sound in hangar bays, so, this map, was abandoned, for unknown terms.
Right now, I try finish, at last, those Hoth conversion.
Beauty is, the way to perfection.

Glory to Ukraine!  :mf:

Woa. That picture looks really cool! Can't wait for Hoth!!