SWBF3...almost was.

Started by Hardcore, November 30, 2012, 09:50:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
http://kotaku.com/5964799/battlefront-iii-was-99-percent-done-when-lucasarts-scrapped-it

Shame to hear it was so close to being completed when it got scrapped :(
QuoteSow the wind and reap the whirlwind
Through the rain and through the shine
Only something with a meaning can stand the test of time

Don't know if this news is old ('cause they're talking about the SWBF3 of '08), or new because they salvaged the old project, made it nice, and then Disney came and destroyed it.

Right now Disney is playing a dangerous game with the Star Wars community in general. If they clip too much, they might get alot of negativity, far more than what they had when they bought LucasFilm.

This is way back when, Free Radical closed down a good while ago now. Nothing to do with disney.
QuoteSow the wind and reap the whirlwind
Through the rain and through the shine
Only something with a meaning can stand the test of time

Well, at least what I saw of swbf3 I didnt like it, so its k for me x)
Anyder | Talent, Ops & Culture | SWBF & Player Engagement
Email: communityambassador@swbfgamers.com
SWBFSpy Discord: http://discord.swbfspy.com
SWBFSpy Info: http://info.swbfspy.com

After I played the pre-alpha, I gave Lucas an even bigger finger. I recall that part of the reason the game got shut down was because they were ahead of schedule. Completely idiotic. I played it on my laptop, not my desktop. It was extremely laggy because you know, it was a pre-alpha and my computer is good, but it isn't the best.

I really loved how they fixed the camera to move whenever you did. That is an amazing realism factor right there. Then there is the ability to fly into space from the planet (wasn't able to try this out) and the one map I played looked great.

It's unfortunate this got cancelled so close to completion.

However, the one thing I've always wondered, is why this project never got passed on to another competent developer?

Obviously, Free Radical had their own issues, and Lucasarts wasn't helping matters at all, but why didn't this game move someplace else to get further development going?

I just can't believe that Lucasarts would cancel a game that would almost certainly ship millions of copies, bring star wars back into video gaming in a big way, possibly set up a competitive scene similar to COD/Halo, and hype up the next generation of star wars movies set to come out in 2015.

It's all a brilliant plan, but nobody's pounced on it. Why?
Raoul Duke: feels redneck
Raoul Duke: have to bring the family tree when looking for women

Lilly Satou: also oh my god
Lilly Satou: fried chicken in the lingo is the best thing ever

Quote from: Droideka on December 04, 2012, 07:43:12 PM
It's unfortunate this got cancelled so close to completion.

However, the one thing I've always wondered, is why this project never got passed on to another competent developer?

Obviously, Free Radical had their own issues, and Lucasarts wasn't helping matters at all, but why didn't this game move someplace else to get further development going?

I just can't believe that Lucasarts would cancel a game that would almost certainly ship millions of copies, bring star wars back into video gaming in a big way, possibly set up a competitive scene similar to COD/Halo, and hype up the next generation of star wars movies set to come out in 2015.

It's all a brilliant plan, but nobody's pounced on it. Why?
The same reason the original Halo movie was scrapped. Except in that case the assets were converted to District 9. With BF3, the code is literally just sitting in some closet gaining dust. Not to long ago there was an independent group who took their own free time to further the game development, but it wasn't their job and had more important things in their lives to do. Technically, one of us could go and grab the code right now if we wanted to.

Someone should seek out whoever has the code.
Current Projects:
Battlefront One and a Half Era Mod, v2.0. Making great progress (SWBF)

Quote from: jdee-barc on December 04, 2012, 08:10:43 PM
Someone should seek out whoever has the code.
I suppose you could take it apart since in order to play you need to install the SDK. This is where I got the pre-alpha, so it may be able to be taken apart provided that you have a clue as to what you are doing.
http://unofficialbattlefront3.blogspot.com/

Thing is guys we are getting one side of the story. http://games.on.net/2012/12/tit-for-tat-flame-war-erupts-over-star-wars-battlefront-iii-99-percent-claim/ Now LucasArts some people are claiming that Free Radical's claims are over exaggerated. I'm not saying I think LucasArts didn't stuff up or that I think they did. With out knowing the entire story I can't come to a proper conclusion. Neither should you.

I also don't think SWBFIII would have been as successful as everyone is thinking it would have been. A gimmick like ground to space is something that would be hard to make flow with a mare 32 players (The common amount of players current network technology can handle with out increasing latency for all players.).

Quote from: RoxasAfter I played the pre-alpha, I gave Lucas an even bigger finger. I recall that part of the reason the game got shut down was because they were ahead of schedule. Completely idiotic. I played it on my laptop, not my desktop. It was extremely laggy because you know, it was a pre-alpha and my computer is good, but it isn't the best.

I really loved how they fixed the camera to move whenever you did. That is an amazing realism factor right there. Then there is the ability to fly into space from the planet (wasn't able to try this out) and the one map I played looked great.
Wait what, how? You friend's with one of the developers or something?

Quote from: Roxas on December 04, 2012, 08:14:21 PM
I suppose you could take it apart since in order to play you need to install the SDK. This is where I got the pre-alpha, so it may be able to be taken apart provided that you have a clue as to what you are doing.
http://unofficialbattlefront3.blogspot.com/

You realize this does not have anything to do with Free Radical, it is just a guy like one of us that is using the Unreal engine to make his own game that happens to use droid models and stuff.  A valiant effort to be sure, but ultimately it will not lead to anything.  For home-made mods, the Galactic Warfare version is still my favorite looking one.

Quote from: Abraham Lincoln. on November 04, 1971, 12:34:40 PM
Don't believe everything you read on the internet

December 04, 2012, 08:27:34 PM #11 Last Edit: December 04, 2012, 08:33:48 PM by {Alpha}Gold Man
Quote from: Buckler on December 04, 2012, 08:25:21 PM
You realize this does not have anything to do with Free Radical, it is just a guy like one of us that is using the Unreal engine to make his own game that happens to use droid models and stuff.  A valiant effort to be sure, but ultimately it will not lead to anything.  For home-made mods, the Galactic Warfare version is still my favorite looking one.

Galactic Warfare Mod: The only reason I would ever want Call of Duty: Modern Warfare. :P

On a side note, I was actually one of the few "contributors" persay of that Unofficial SWBF3 project. I also gave him the idea to release a pre-alpha, no joke. :)

SWBF III wouldn't be a big interest for me.

It's exactly what hapened with Starsiege: Tribes.  The first game was a huge success. So the engine had a chance to continue being developed.  The new engine turned out to be much prettier, but the physics and game structure were all wonked up.  Nothing like the original.   Then the changing hands, buying and selling of dev assets, while developers grow and move on to bigger, better things.  Every incarnation since shares only a few internal strings in common with it's Great Grandparent.  And since it's all on modern engines, the physics are nothing like what made the game fun to begin with.

BF II, being a bit more elegant than BF I in some ways, mucks up the things I like about the game.  So a prettier version in a next gen engine has no chance of replicating the feel.   It may turn out to be good, but that would be for it's own reasons, and not because of a shared title from a predecessor.

Battlefront is what it needs to be.  A modern squad based combat, Star Wars themed game has many newer influences and much better hardware to concider.  BF III couldn't be anything like Battlefront.  It wouldn't sell.

If it were up to me, I'd rope in all the development efforts and make a new, genre changing franchise of it's own. 

In Battlefront, space to ground transport would be a novelty, but in a new Star Wars game, Planet wide sieges, and quasi-persistant battlefields could become a WoW killer.

In Battlefront, getting a couple of A.I. to follow you is neat. In BFII it's essential.  In a new game, commanding entire squadrons, RTS style, untill you have to fend off the battle droids that just raided the command center is genre changing.

If BF III is just going to be unreal with Stormtrooper skins.. I'll skip it.

Just my 2 cents.

Quote from: tirpider on December 04, 2012, 09:10:48 PM

It's exactly what hapened with Starsiege: Tribes.  The first game was a huge success. So the engine had a chance to continue being developed.  The new engine turned out to be much prettier, but the physics and game structure were all wonked up.  Nothing like the original.   Then the changing hands, buying and selling of dev assets, while developers grow and move on to bigger, better things.  Every incarnation since shares only a few internal strings in common with it's Great Grandparent.  And since it's all on modern engines, the physics are nothing like what made the game fun to begin with.

BF II, being a bit more elegant than BF I in some ways, mucks up the things I like about the game.  So a prettier version in a next gen engine has no chance of replicating the feel.   It may turn out to be good, but that would be for it's own reasons, and not because of a shared title from a predecessor.

Battlefront is what it needs to be.  A modern squad based combat, Star Wars themed game has many newer influences and much better hardware to concider.  BF III couldn't be anything like Battlefront.  It wouldn't sell.

If it were up to me, I'd rope in all the development efforts and make a new, genre changing franchise of it's own. 

In Battlefront, space to ground transport would be a novelty, but in a new Star Wars game, Planet wide sieges, and quasi-persistant battlefields could become a WoW killer.

In Battlefront, getting a couple of A.I. to follow you is neat. In BFII it's essential.  In a new game, commanding entire squadrons, RTS style, untill you have to fend off the battle droids that just raided the command center is genre changing.

Just my 2 cents.
This.

Quote from: tirpider on December 04, 2012, 09:10:48 PM

Just my 2 cents.
Yea, basically how I feel too. Why do you guys want SWBF3 when you like SWBF1 better than its sequel?! SWBF3 would just build on SWBF2. So yea. No that it wouldn't be a good game but it wouldn't be SWBF.

I saw if you like SWBF1's feel make a mod for it but make it like a whole new game! ;)