Can Death Regions be animated to move in-game?

Started by Idren, July 11, 2018, 06:49:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Hey all, I've been thinking about SWBF modding lately, and was wondering about if making a map with falling meteors or something - where if players got hit they would die. 

That got me thinking about things like having an animated train moving around a map and you could walk on the tracks and stuff, but when the train came by if you got hit you would die. 

I was thinking about death regions for these various scenarios, and thought it would be interesting if we could animate death regions (or other regions for that matter).

I'm sure some kind of animated object with certain ODF properties could do the same task, but I'm curious if anyone has ever animated or tried to animate a region? (or an object created to act as a region perhaps)

It would almost have to be like an "AnimatedBuilding" class with an EffectRegion property.  I'm not totally sure how you would set that to move around the map (and how the region would react), but in theory, Regions can move because we have the "CommandWalker/CommandHover" class that moves supposedly static spawn paths.
The BOBclan:  A Rich History

Quote from: Unit 33 on November 29, 2014, 03:44:44 AM
'Please, tell me more about the logistics of the design of laser swords being wielded by space wizards' - Some guy on the internet.

If nothing else, I think you can get run over by the LAAT so I would think you could also get run over by a train.
Quote from: Abraham Lincoln. on November 04, 1971, 12:34:40 PM
Don't believe everything you read on the internet

Interesting - now I'm also wondering about a base that moves around the map - maybe also on a train or something. perhaps creating a modified command post object with the regions tied to the animated building it's a part of.

It seems like it should be possible - I might try testing this out in the future (i won't be modding for at least several months)

I think you cannot make moving death region ingame.I thinked on that but i do not see how this will happen sadly.

If moving Deathregions was possible, a Battle Royal mode for the game may emerge.

Could we instead create an invisible Object that somehow acted like a death region perhaps?

Quote from: Idren on July 14, 2018, 10:57:17 AM
Could we instead create an invisible Object that somehow acted like a death region perhaps?
That sounds doable. You can take damage from hitting a few vehicles. This time make the vehicle take no damage (a scale of 0 would do it). Just have a collision mesh and no rendered mesh. An alternative could be a modified ordnance like a rocket. Same thing with collision mesh. Set the speed to a very slow amount and there you have it. For battle Royal you'd probably have a semi transparent plane mesh.
It would be easiest to have four modified rocket walls instead of a cylinder or sphere.

There is probably a way to set the boundary radius via memory modifying. It can't be a generated collision mesh because that would be very difficult to implement as opposed to just checking this distance between players position and the center of the boundary given the ellipse of the boundary.

It may be a good idea to compare pre-munged map boundaries against game process memory to get a fix on where it's stored, then write up a trainer to try and modify it live.

I may try to get into it if I can get a node js memory modification module in my hands.
The cool part doing that is that you'd have way more control over the timing and size of the region, and the added bonus of there being a timeout semi equal to PUBG's health degradation outside the boundaries.

Quote from: Dark_Phantom on July 12, 2018, 04:44:21 AM
It would almost have to be like an "AnimatedBuilding" class with an EffectRegion property.  I'm not totally sure how you would set that to move around the map (and how the region would react), but in theory, Regions can move because we have the "CommandWalker/CommandHover" class that moves supposedly static spawn paths.
I am wrong on this count.  Some research into it shows me that CommandWalker/CommandHover have a special situation called SpawnPointCount and SpawnPointLocation that depend on the location of the CP.  EffectRegion = "" is bizarre because it ties to a "powerupstation" class and then only uses radius from the droid as a reference.  My idea would be this:

ClassLabel = "powerupstation"

PowerupDelay    =   "180.0" //throw the kill switch every 3 minutes
SoldierHealth       =  "-1000.0"  //everyone dies at -1000
Powerupsound     =   "maniacally laughing voice" //this is cruel

EffectRegion = "gigantic circle inside map"

However, it seems to me that RepComm's idea is the correct way to go.  I think you should be able to use the "animatedbuilding" class and create an animation with it that makes it go across the battlefield.  With collisions correct, if it hits you fast enough you should die (?).  Almost like a door except on a much larger scale.  Then if you'd make a bunch of them to crisscross the battlefield at random times you can watch as your teammates get mercilessly taken down one by one as they accidentally walk into a crazy trap.

Wow that took a whole turn I didn't expect.
The BOBclan:  A Rich History

Quote from: Unit 33 on November 29, 2014, 03:44:44 AM
'Please, tell me more about the logistics of the design of laser swords being wielded by space wizards' - Some guy on the internet.