Altering AI Pathing/Barriers mid-game

Started by Idren, October 02, 2017, 02:22:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
So I'm curious to know if anyone has experimented with altering the paths AI take mid-game.
With working on my Maz's Castle map I'd love to be able to have the castle be destructable, but then have the AI be able to walk all through the debris and such.

However, to my knowledge, you can't tie the AI's pathing/barriers to objects.  Has anyone done any experimenting with this concept before?

Currently I determine AI paths with Hubs / Barriers around objects - is there another way to do this from the objects themselves? Like in the ODF or something?

ex:
Before Destruction:

------------------
           | ######## |
           | ######## |
           | ######## |
AI ------  ######## --------->
              ########
              #BUILDING#
              ########
              ########

After Destruction:

########
        #####    #
        ##           #
AI -------------------------------->
        #####    #
        ##           #
        ########
        #BUILDING#
        #DEST####
        ########

I'm really hoping this isn't impossible (though i'm fairly certain it is atm) - it would open up so many cool possibilities for maps.

Also open to any theories on how to achieve this and I'll try them out at some point!

October 02, 2017, 02:26:30 PM #1 Last Edit: October 10, 2017, 04:46:19 AM by Davenport
I remember that Shazam once created a Zombie map in which the AI would map to different paths. Destructable walls were put up on the paths and when the zombies would stand at the wall for long enough, the walls would break and the zombies could enter.

Edit: Shazam created the map, proper credit was given in this edit.
Formerly:
{Alpha}Gen.Ultimo
[212]Cpl.Ultimo
WUSi.Whisper

Quote from: Ultimo on October 02, 2017, 02:26:30 PM
I remember that (Phobos) once created a Zombie map in which the AI would map to different paths. Destructable walls were put up on the paths and when they zombies would stand at the wall for long enough, the walls would break and the zombies could enter.

Sounds interesting! (unfortunately idk how easy it is to ask phobos about stuff anymore / how willing he is to helping out people from this community  :wacko:)

I haven't personally played that mod/map - but it sounds like the AI were simply blocked by the wall initially, but were still attempting to go through the wall.  My goal is to have the AI go around the building at first, and then after it's destroyed, to take a more direct route through the rubble and debris.

October 02, 2017, 02:51:35 PM #3 Last Edit: October 02, 2017, 03:05:42 PM by Ultimo
No need to ask him. He's essentially abandoned his assets that he uploaded here, done so by his actions.
This is the map I'm talking about. I wonder if you'll be able to figure anything out from it.
http://www.swbfgamers.com/index.php?action=downloads;sa=view;down=1291

EDIT: I realize I gave credit of the map to Phobos. He doesn't deserve all that credit. You can find the true credits in affect in the description of the mod.
Formerly:
{Alpha}Gen.Ultimo
[212]Cpl.Ultimo
WUSi.Whisper

So having tested out the map it does seem like it's just that the AI were always trying to go that one direction and would walk into the wall until it was destroyed, and then they could go through.

I don't know anything about modding swbf2, but from what I remember, there were plenty of maps with destroyable bridges and walls and stuff that the AI would know to walk around if they couldn't cross the destroyed bridge (death star, mustafar), or if the wall was still in the way (kashyyyk).  Did AI in battlefront 2 have a different method of pathing? Or did they just make objects act as barriers... because I can't figure a way to do that in swbf1 :confused:

Quote from: Idren on October 12, 2017, 10:10:33 AM
So having tested out the map it does seem like it's just that the AI were always trying to go that one direction and would walk into the wall until it was destroyed, and then they could go through.

I don't know anything about modding swbf2, but from what I remember, there were plenty of maps with destroyable bridges and walls and stuff that the AI would know to walk around if they couldn't cross the destroyed bridge (death star, mustafar), or if the wall was still in the way (kashyyyk).  Did AI in battlefront 2 have a different method of pathing? Or did they just make objects act as barriers... because I can't figure a way to do that in swbf1 :confused:
SWBFII introduced the ability to mark "connections" as dynamic. These can be switched on and off through scripting in SWBFII. (Barriers can also be switched on and off, but they have no need to be marked as dynamic.) So the AI didn't have a different method of pathing, the game just exposed more control over it to the mapper.

Thanks for the info! Sounds like I won't quite be able to achieve what I want in swbf1 then. At least players will be able to walk through the debris though!