Shell.lvl Builder for SWBF1 PS2

Started by Dark_Phantom, February 05, 2022, 06:58:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Shell.lvl Builder for SWBF1 PS2

http://www.swbfgamers.com/index.php?action=downloads;sa=view;down=1600

This is a feature complete munger for PS2 shell.lvl.

I have left the unmunged PS2 shell scripts in for reference if you desire to swap files and use minimunge.  However, I have tirelessly reversed them so there should not be any (noticeable?) discrepancies against the stock ones.
If I were you, I would remap "move shell" to your directory so that you save a copy step :)
Do not move StockBin unless you want to change the bat file - it is configured to properly insert itself into the PS2 shell.

All maps/modes seem to be in a playable state

ifs_start - there seems to be a missing if-loop in here I don't understand but it's buried under an XLive loop so it doesn't need fixed for PS2.  There's a chance it was fixed for XLive in the Xbox build (PS2 was done first)
All other files seem to be complete and working.

MY BIGGEST NOTE: The PS2 shell is pretty fragile. Mine actually munges smaller than stock but if you go bigger than stock you can start to see some memory failures when calling videos in on the IA screen/Tutorials.
It took a long time to get the images as close to PS2 as possible, but there still might be some distortion/oddities in the images (like there's some non-alpha'd lines in the IA screen I noticed later.) I had to munge more of them in 4-bit format than I would've liked. If you're adding/modifying images, please make sure you test the screens that load in videos like the IA screen before release.

Credits:
Dark_Phantom - reconciling differences in byte code to original PS2 values
Psych0fred - different scripts to test on, being a cool guy
tirpider - I would never have been able to do this if I hadn't read a long write-up tirpider did on lua bytecode generation and understanding.  You're the man!
Led - for keeping SWBFgamers going all these years.
The BOBclan:  A Rich History

Quote from: Unit 33 on November 29, 2014, 03:44:44 AM
'Please, tell me more about the logistics of the design of laser swords being wielded by space wizards' - Some guy on the internet.