How to Create/Edit Mini Map

Started by DanielSon777, April 23, 2016, 03:29:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
I went through and read something like this here: http://www.swbfgamers.com/index.php?topic=3615.0 under the Mapping - General section but was not what I was looking for.

How do you make the mini map on the right side before you spawn and while in-game to show the paths and structures of the map layout and not just the CP's and health/ammo bots?

I still can't make accurate mini map on my maps aswell.I hope someone help us both :D

April 26, 2016, 07:45:27 PM #2 Last Edit: April 26, 2016, 07:47:52 PM by Phobos
ZeroEditor -> Advanced -> Camera -> Set Top Down View
Also set visibility to at least 5000. Then zoom in just enough to prevent the terrain from deforming and take a screenshot then edit the colors in GIMP. I've attached the high res minimap for NOTLD as an example.

Psych0fred explains his method here using SPtest
http://secretsociety.com/forum/display_message.asp?mid=467

Thanks for the info.(Added to my personal tutorials page) :D

April 27, 2016, 04:55:32 PM #4 Last Edit: April 27, 2016, 05:01:08 PM by Dino_Man
Okay, I found that area in the Zero Editor. What does Psych0fred mean by "Crop the image to 512x512 and save at 24BPP"

After the 3 layers are flattened do I save the file in the program AS a .tga or just rename it as .tga? Where is the saved file photo go?

512x512 should be pixel size
24 bpp is the color depth (24 bit color)

yes, save the image as tga file format, make sure there is NO RLE compression (common error)
Quote from: Abraham Lincoln. on November 04, 1971, 12:34:40 PM
Don't believe everything you read on the internet

Save the TGA in the world1 folder for your mod map. For example "bespin2_map.tga" is saved here "C:\BFBuilder\Databes2\Worlds\bes2\World1"

Quote from: Phobos on April 26, 2016, 07:45:27 PM
ZeroEditor -> Advanced -> Camera -> Set Top Down View
Also set visibility to at least 5000. Then zoom in just enough to prevent the terrain from deforming and take a screenshot then edit the colors in GIMP. I've attached the high res minimap for NOTLD as an example.

Psych0fred explains his method here using SPtest
http://secretsociety.com/forum/display_message.asp?mid=467

Please forgive my noobish-ness and I hope you'll be patient with me, I spent a few hours trying to do as the link says to make a mini map, but I don't understand his instructions, too vague for me to get it.

I downloaded GIMP for free (photoshop wasn't). Can someone please tell me step-by-step how do this?

Quote from: Dino_Man on April 27, 2016, 09:30:14 PM
Please forgive my noobish-ness and I hope you'll be patient with me, I spent a few hours trying to do as the link says to make a mini map, but I don't understand his instructions, too vague for me to get it.

I downloaded GIMP for free (photoshop wasn't). Can someone please tell me step-by-step how do this?
I'll try to post a more in depth tutorial on this later. But here is another tip, when using gimp press control+L to change the opacity.