Forum Maintenance

Started by Led, April 24, 2014, 07:02:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Forum maintenance will commence soon.

Also, our PHP version will be upgraded on 4/28.

If something breaks, we will get it back on line as soon as possible.
Quote from: Abraham Lincoln. on November 04, 1971, 12:34:40 PM
Don't believe everything you read on the internet

PHP? Also have you ever thought of a mobile version of the site? Seems like the time to propose this idea if your doing site maintenance
"I would explain it to you but your head might explode."

Quote from: {TCE}Call-of-Duty on April 24, 2014, 07:07:39 PM
PHP? Also have you ever thought of a mobile version of the site? Seems like the time to propose this idea if your doing site maintenance
Somewhere in your account settings, there's a layout for a mobile device. Try it the next time you get on your device.
Formerly:
{Alpha}Gen.Ultimo
[212]Cpl.Ultimo
WUSi.Whisper

April 24, 2014, 07:44:51 PM #3 Last Edit: April 24, 2014, 08:24:18 PM by Led
I think Mart said that theme didn't work well. 

I will see what I can do.  I found one that might work.
http://www.allstudentforum.com/index.php?topic=2945.0

edit:

Our SMF version has been updated to 2.0.7 (the current one).
Jedikiller is working on getting things back in order--if something is broken, please post here.
The awards system is a bit flakey and JK will try to get it working.

Hey everyone! Upgrades are done. Some new behind-the-scenes stuff. Everything is shiny and new.

Please let me know if there is anything broken or you have any feature requests. It's entirely possible that something may have broken that I can't see or haven't found yet.

With regards to the mobile version of the site, there's the WAP version, but I'll agree that it isn't too great. I think any solution's usefulness depends on what sort of phone you have. If you can't display the full site, then your phone is probably better suited to the WAP site.

The SMF4iPhone thing that was previously installed is probably hopelessly broken right now and I'm not even sure if you can use it.

(•̪●)=ε/̵͇̿̿/'̿'̿ ̿ ̿̿ ̿ ̿"" (-_-*)

April 25, 2014, 04:25:18 AM #5 Last Edit: April 25, 2014, 04:27:15 AM by Led
Hi jk,

I would be willing to buy this one
http://smf-media.com/

if you think it would work.

-------------
It looks like either my time zone is off, or the website time zone is off.  I am posting this about 6:30 am central time and it shows 5:30 am.

I use the site on my phone and tablet all the time, and it works prefectly fine. I see no need for it.

Quote from: Ltin on April 25, 2014, 04:26:37 AM
I use the site on my phone and tablet all the time, and it works prefectly fine. I see no need for it.

That's the thing. On some devices it's easier to access the full site. But others, it's more difficult and a mobile version would be useful.
Formerly:
{Alpha}Gen.Ultimo
[212]Cpl.Ultimo
WUSi.Whisper

Quote from: Whisper (Vokunvahlok) on April 25, 2014, 04:30:06 AM
That's the thing. On some devices it's easier to access the full site. But others, it's more difficult and a mobile version would be useful.
I dont know about you, but iv had 3 different devices, 4 different browsers, and they all worked fine.

April 25, 2014, 12:05:26 PM #9 Last Edit: April 25, 2014, 12:08:39 PM by -RepublicCommando-
I have to reload everything once after loading it to see anything here except home page, after that secondary loading it seems to work okay..
Did the same for the PMs too.

--I can view the whole site on my crappy "touch screen" cellular device, and it's way old (didn't get errors on it).

edit- Derp, forgot to say what I originally clicked on this topic to say :slap:
Thanks for working on this forum, I know it's not what I'd want to do on my week end for sure..

JediKiller has set up the "Badbehavior" mod for us.

It will keep spambots away.

However, everyone should know that this mod seems more aggressive that our old one, and that it may even block windows XP from using this site at some point in time.

Here is some information:
http://bad-behavior.ioerror.us/2013/11/12/windows-xp-support-statement/#more-235

Was this in place before, or a new mod?

I remember at school one of my teachers had an old computer that nobody could get to work except me, and it ran Windows Server 2000 I think.

My math teacher had a Windows ME computer in his class until 2012 because they refused to give him a new one for so long... big security risk if you ask me. 
What's funny though is that as time moves on, Windows 98 and such should become more secure because Microsoft will keep changing their operating systems, and viruses and stuff like that won't be targeted at them.  Although I guess it depends on what files are targeted for that theory to be true.
The BOBclan:  A Rich History

Quote from: Unit 33 on November 29, 2014, 03:44:44 AM
'Please, tell me more about the logistics of the design of laser swords being wielded by space wizards' - Some guy on the internet.

This is new since the forum maintenance.

If anyone notices a regular member that has stopped appearing, let me know and I will check on it.

I installed this over at games.swbfgamers so hopefully that will reduce the abuse over there.

April 26, 2014, 02:56:11 PM #13 Last Edit: April 26, 2014, 02:57:43 PM by Carbon27
Quote from: Led on April 26, 2014, 05:45:58 AM
However, everyone should know that this mod seems more aggressive that our old one, and that it may even block windows XP from using this site at some point in time.

This worries me. I have an XP, hate the computer but have learned to love XP. When you say "at some point in time", does that mean next month, next year, half a decade? I am going to be getting a new PC with Windows 7 (Or 8 if they make it better). So I won't be gone forever.

One thing more about this that bothers me is that we NEED more new members. We will have a hard time getting new members. If somebody who is considering this game but uses XP cannot get on the forum, that may drive them away from the game. Because SWBF doesn't have a lot going for it. Servers down, first in the series, I could go on. But few people will get this game. I think this needs to be looked into with more thought.

Ask your friendly WgT member about joining today!

I'd like to clarify some things about the mod's supposed impacts on Windows XP users. There will be no action taken to block XP users without an upgrade of the mod. There is little to no danger to any user of this site.

The primary focus of the mod is to block IP addresses in the Project Honeypot blacklist. IPs in this blacklist are well-understood to be the source of spam and other messages. There is rarely a case where an IP on a list is used by legitimate users. If an IP is in the database, it is assigned what's called a "threat level", which is a logarithmic scale number ranking the likelihood of an IP to send spam to a website. We block above a 5. It takes a good deal to get to a 5. Most of those IPs are from server hosting companies or from countries where infections are rampant (mostly China).

Additional functions of the modification are to block all users of outdated browsers (IE 7 and earlier), as well as those where it is immediately apparent from the HTTP request that you are running outdated updates. I don't think having a modern browser is a particularly burdensome requirement (especially since Windows will literally upgrade IE for you if you do updates at all). I also think having to keep your computer updated is a completely reasonable request to make of anyone. The mod will also block HTTP requests with suspicious characteristics, none of which will be possessed by anyone with a legitimate purpose.

The bits about Windows server and XP mentioned in there have no real impact on this site, as it does not run on Windows. Any updates made by the creators of this modification and its underlying support services will not block XP users until that OS has passed on. That will be a while.

In short, there is almost nothing to worry about.

(•̪●)=ε/̵͇̿̿/'̿'̿ ̿ ̿̿ ̿ ̿"" (-_-*)