Is sim city worth it?

Started by Ltin, April 28, 2013, 04:40:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
I was thinking about buying Sim City, but obviously, it has been very bug ridden.
If anyone has it, is it really worth the $60 it costs? Although i have found it cheaper, i still would really like to know.

I don't really get the apeal to sim city :P So ofc I would say no. Tbh I would never spend more than £30 on a game (and this was only for xbox)

I dont know what £30 is in dollars, and i also dont have SAOD (severe acronym overload disorder), so i dont know entirely what you said.
as for the appeal, i cant solve that. The game itself appeals to me, but the cost and amount of bugs in it makes me question it.

Quote from: Ltin on April 29, 2013, 01:24:32 PM
I dont know what £30 is in dollars, and i also dont have SAOD (severe acronym overload disorder), so i dont know entirely what you said.
as for the appeal, i cant solve that. The game itself appeals to me, but the cost and amount of bugs in it makes me question it.

£30 = $46.49
ofc = Of course
tbh = To be honest

I too never really "got" Sims, but if you're not sure about it, it might be worth sitting around and waiting for a price drop or some kind of Steam Sale.

I would advise perhaps viewing some gameplay videos and reading up on reviews on the game before you buy it. Unless you think it's interesting and are unsure that you should pay $60 for it, then I would advise waiting for a price drop, or find it somewhere for cheaper.

Quote from: {Alpha}Gold Man on April 29, 2013, 01:58:58 PM
I would advise perhaps viewing some gameplay videos and reading up on reviews on the game before you buy it. Unless you think it's interesting and are unsure that you should pay $60 for it, then I would advise waiting for a price drop, or find it somewhere for cheaper.
Oh oh! Or if you have time to spare watch some "Let's Players" They generally have good insight into games since they are usually the most invested gamers out there.

Quote from: {Alpha}Gold Man on April 29, 2013, 01:58:58 PM
its funny you say that. I have found it cheaper (read the op), i wouldnt have even heard about it if it wernt for lets plays, andi have read up on alot of reviews. Thats how i know its bug ridden.
Iv decided im going to get it. After seeing a full fleged review, asking on another community, andnasking my friends, iv generally gotten positive reviews.

Do not do it, do not do it. Just buy SimCity 4 on Steam, you'll get a bug free game at a fraction of the cost of the new one that requires you to be always online(I hate you EA). Just sayin' unless you were interested in the social features of the new game of course, then the new game may be for you.

Quote from: SleepKiller on April 29, 2013, 04:22:32 PM
Do not do it, do not do it. Just buy SimCity 4 on Steam, you'll get a bug free game at a fraction of the cost of the new one that requires you to be always online(I hate you EA). Just sayin' unless you were interested in the social features of the new game of course, then the new game may be for you.
lets have a look at why i wont do that.
1. I dont have steam
2. Im always going to be online when i want to play anyway
3. I like the social feature
Thanks though. I can understand why there would be so many bugs. They are using a new, and very advanced engine, and the game is build around multiplayer. Most games have more bugs on multiplayer then single player.

May 01, 2013, 05:53:10 PM #9 Last Edit: May 01, 2013, 10:00:25 PM by SleepKiller
So, I'm to assume you already have an Origin account and use it often? Saying you don't have Steam is one heck of a poor argument in this case. SimCity requires you to have Origin to my understanding. Steam is way better than Origin, has plenty of games for you to chose from, regular sales and isn't owned by shareholders.

And I take it your Internet is never going to go down when you want to play? It's never going to fail? You can't expect to be always online and EA shouldn't be expecting you to.

A new and very advanced engine? Well I don't know much about the tech behind SimCity I do know a lot about game engines. An engine powering a city simulator isn't advanced considering SimCity 2000 did and still does a fine and dandy job of it. Saying you can understand why their would be so many bugs is ridiculous, a game especially one built on a supposedly "very advanced engine" should have next to no major bugs. And the patches should be well, fixing the bugs perhaps? Not introducing more.

Your wasting your money on a greedy publisher controlled by shareholders that can't seem to be able to put the funds towards fixing the game.

Stuff you should have learned today:
SleepKiller hates EA.
SleepKiller hates the share market.
SleepKiller thinks you shouldn't buy SimCity, buy SimCity 4 or even this instead.

1. You sound reallly determined to keep me from buying this game
2. You sound like someone who is really p*ssed off

Hey, it's your money and it is up to you what you do with it. I am just warning you the game may not be everything you expect. I've seen several articles warning about SimCity, none advising to buy it.

One final point, with it being always online once the servers are gone you have no game. Nothing. Make no mistake, the servers will get shutdown at some point in the future. The instant sales slow down, the games life counter will start going down. Or EA could even collapse financially resulting in the servers going offline.

As I said it is your money. I hope you do take what I have said into account though.

Quote from: Ltin on May 01, 2013, 06:13:25 PM
1. You sound reallly determined to keep me from buying this game
2. You sound like someone who is really p*ssed off

You asked for opinions and by Jove you got some.

Quote from: SleepKiller on May 01, 2013, 10:10:40 PM
One final point, with it being always online once the servers are gone you have no game. Nothing. Make no mistake, the servers will get shutdown at some point in the future. The instant sales slow down, the games life counter will start going down. Or EA could even collapse financially resulting in the servers going offline.
Ohh, dang, youre right. Hmm, thats going to make me questuon my decision now.....
Perhaps i shouldnt buy it