Antstafer's Realism Mod/Enhanced Gameplay Mod

Started by Antstafer, December 16, 2017, 11:29:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
December 16, 2017, 11:29:13 AM Last Edit: September 21, 2021, 05:02:52 PM by Antstafer
Started as a successor to Eisenfaust's Realism Mod, this mod is set out to be the absolute pinnacle form of what Star Wars Battlefront could have been, and should be. I've always found the original Battlefront to be sluggish. Slow movement speed. Slow blaster fire that had almost no 'oomf' behind it. It was boring compared to the new shiny gameplay of the EA games. Now this mod restores, at least in my opinion, Battlefront's essence- Huge intense battles, immersive sound effects and visuals, do anything you want, go anywhere you want. Fight the battle YOUR way.

Things this mod does-

• Realistic Damage. 1-3 hits kills, depending on distance, type of unit and radius.
  • Larger Battle Sizes for each level depending on what it is (I.e, Geonosis will have more units on the battlefield as opposed to Bespin: Platforms)
  • New 'Enhanced' maps. These include HD textures, longer draw distances, Expanded mapspace, more decorations, etc. These do not replace the vanilla maps, but are added alongside them for those who prefer to play the classics.
  • HD Textures for units and effects
  • FOV Increased for all units and vehicles
  • New Immersive Sounds (From Gistech's amazing Visual Sides mod)
  • Blasterbeams move faster and go much farther
  • Blasterbeams now have a destructive impact effect like in the movies
  • Firing while moving is very inaccurate, and crouch/prone is more accurate than standing
  • Rocket launchers now have a bigger blast/push radius. You can now send units flying in a raw display of power.
  • Explosions from vehicles are semi-deadly, and knock back units
  • Sticky grenades can stick to troops and have more of an effect on troops
  • Imperial Jet Trooper, Wookies, and Republic Jet Troopers take 4-6 hits to take down
  • Vehicles are stronger, and tanks now live up to the name
  • Jedi/Sith can now die and block blaster fire
  • Blood Particle Effect is turned on
  • Each heavy weapon troop from each faction carries a machine gun, but moves slower (except for CIS, since they have droidekas).
  • Units generally move faster
  • Units now use the 'prone' position when taking cover, and hide in clever defensive spots waiting for the unsuspecting player to pass by. (ENHANCED-MAPS-ONLY FEATURE!)

GET THE MOD HERE

Future wishlist/modifications if we ever figure out a way to increase hardcoded memory limits-

-Remove the 16mb and 32mb memory limit so we can have HD Models for Units, Vehicles, Flora and buildings.
-Remove the memory limit on the animation system so all units use high-quality movement animations
-No limit to decals or effects such as blaster impacts on water
-Make extremely large view distances viewable and stable
-Remove 32mb limit on sound effects

A new 2.4 update is now available. It includes a plethora of balancing fixes and additions.

Get the download Here

What's new-

-Changed FOV for ALL units and vehicles (Again. I missed a lot of vehicles last time. Should be good now.)

-HD Models from Gistech's Visually Improves Sides Mod. Low poly counterparts have been removed from these!)

-New sounds from 'Gistech Visually Improves Sides' mod.

-Rebel Pilot floating head LOD fixed Nevermind. Still broken. I'll get em' next time, chief!

-Gave a buff to Wookies, to give the rebels a bit more of an edge.

-Max fly height enabled on all maps

-Map AI counts decreased a bit for stability.

-Decreased damage for rifles and pistols and a few other weapons

-Grenade blast radius more realistic. No longer will it kill you when you should be far enough away.

-Rifles and simple blasters no longer knock you over as much. This was quite annoying.

-Tusken Raiders and other factions balanced

-Gunturrets balanced

Quote from: Antstafer on August 25, 2021, 10:18:06 PM-Rebel Pilot floating head LOD fixed Nevermind. Still broken. I'll get em' next time, chief!

Fixed. Updated the new all.lvl in the main file on moddb.

It's nice to see a returning modder!

QuoteLow poly counterparts have been removed from these!

Could you clarify? Removing the lowres models can and likely will cause issues, which is why I included them in the first place.
In Progress:
--Star Wars: Battlefront - Anniversary Edition (formerly Star Wars: Battlefront - Legacy Edition)

On Hold:
--Star Wars Battlefront: Elite Squadron For SWBF1
--Endor: Imperial Base

August 28, 2021, 06:39:09 AM #4 Last Edit: September 18, 2021, 08:07:11 AM by Antstafer
Quote from: Giftheck on August 28, 2021, 01:07:49 AMIt's nice to see a returning modder!

Could you clarify? Removing the lowres models can and likely will cause issues, which is why I included them in the first place.

Oh, yeah I just used SchMEe to convert the high res to be compatible with the low rez skeleton. Looks a lot better since you don't lose polys, and haven't noticed any issues, even on maps with 100+ active units besides the animation system dragging behind.

i have been using the same method for over a year it does appear to work great for models that are i the right poly range for bf1 but have no lowrez counterpart.
mods and maps in progress:<br />--Bf1 expanded edition 3.0 version
-- bf1 tcw battles
-- bf1 seasons mod season 1
-- bf2 expanded edition tbh

September 18, 2021, 08:18:10 AM #6 Last Edit: September 18, 2021, 01:07:39 PM by Antstafer
Started as a successor to Eisenfaust's Realism Mod, this mod is set out to be the absolute pinnacle form of what Star Wars Battlefront could have been, and should be. I've always found the original Battlefront to be sluggish. Slow movement speed. Slow blaster fire that had almost no 'oomf' behind it. It was boring compared to the new shiny gameplay of the EA games. Now this mod restores, at least in my opinion, Battlefront's essence- Huge intense battles, immersive sound effects and visuals, do anything you want, go anywhere you want. Fight the battle YOUR way.

After releasing 2.4 a few weeks ago, I was finally tuned-up on the Battlefront modding knowledge I lost during a 3 year hiatus. I tend to shift interest in my hobbies around every couple of months or so, so I knew there was no time to waste. I HAD to get the hard stuff out of the way before It was too late. Thus, after many hours of personal modding-crunch time, brings a new update for all of you, this time focusing on the graphics and maps.

What's New in 2.5-

-New 'Enhanced' maps. These include HD textures, longer draw distances, Expanded mapspace, more decorations, etc. These do not replace the vanilla maps, but are added alongside them for those who prefer to play the classics.

NOTES:
Some maps I've chosen not to expand on too much, if at all, aside from some better hintnode placement and HD textures. Certain maps are borderline perfect from a design perspective, and there's nothing I could add that would have enhanced them in any definitive way.
        My Enhanced Naboo: Plains is functional, but suffers from the following bugs-
        1. Flying too high in the sky and looking down may cause the engine to crash
        2. Sounds for the ATAT, YWING, Droid fighter and Republic Gunship do not work, for whatever reason.
        3. Sounds when walking/jumping through water do not work, for whatever reason.

I decided to include my 'Enhanced' Mos Eisley as an optional addon, since I spent so much time on it.

Be warned, though the map is borderline finished and can be played, it lacks polish and suffers from numerous pathfinding issues. Some units on the map don't even attempt to move, for reasons unknown.
My best guess is that I got too ambitious, and the map is simply too massive for the pathfinding to work properly. I hope people enjoy what I attempted to do with it, and maybe one day I'll be able to sit down and get it working. But for now, it's a headache for another day.

-Decreased the high reinforcement counts on all maps. This was an oversight left over in old versions when each and every shot was a 1-hit kill, so higher reinforcement counts were necessary for time balancing.

-Units now use the 'prone' position when taking cover, and hide in clever defensive spots waiting for the unexpecting player to pass by. (ENHANCED-MAPS-ONLY FEATURE!)

-Rocket launchers now have a bigger blast/push radius. You can now send units flying in a raw display of power.

-Tanks now move more akin to their vanilla speed. I found the sluggish movement I gave them prior a huge annoyance.

-Pilot droid's machine gun taken away. The pilot droid now acts as a regular battle droid, but with a fusion cutter alongside the rifle.

-HD Textures for units and effects

-HD Models by Gistech have been taken away for the time being. Their animations start to fall flat on maps with large numbers of units, and until there's a way to bypass the memory limit with models and animations, we will have to stick with the vanilla assets, which blend better into the game's style anyway.

DOWNLOAD ON MODDB

Future wishlist/modifications if we ever figure out a way to increase hardcoded memory limits-

-Remove the 16mb and 32mb memory limit so we can have HD Models for Units, Vehicles, Flora and buildings.
-Remove the memory limit on the animation system so all units use high-quality movement animations
-No limit to decals or effects such as blaster impacts on water
-Make extremely large view distances viewable and stable
-Remove 32mb limit on sound effects

October 09, 2021, 04:25:37 PM #7 Last Edit: October 09, 2021, 04:37:11 PM by Antstafer

This will probably be one of the last updates for this mod for some time, as I've got other projects that I need to shift focus on. Unless a big modding breakthrough happens, the only updates you may see are small patches fixing game-breaking bugs and minor improvements.

Aside from some annoying bugs I couldn't fix on some of the maps, this mod is more or less feature complete.
DOWNLOAD

What's New in 2.6-

• Gistech's improved ATST and ATAT models added back in
  • Added Free Camera Mode
  • Hi-Res Casting Shadows for all models
  • Vehicles and all grenades now use the large water splash effect when shooting water
  • Gave the large water explosion effect further LOD
  • Rebalanced Concussion grenades to make them a lot more fun, and deal a bit more damage to vehicles
  • Fix for light sabers not deflecting
  • Kashyyyk Islands- Mountain background and sky color corrected
  • Kashyyyk Islands- Foliage appearing inside certain buildings removed
  • Kashyyyk Docks- Fixed floating objects
  • Kashyyyk Docks- Edited HintNodes around beachhead so the defending team is actually looks like they're defending the position
  • Geonosis- Fixed issue with CIS not continuing the path through the canyon after CP capture
  • Geonosis- Fixed barriers on canyon rocks and added more HintNodes around the battlefield

Future wish list/modifications if we ever figure out a way to increase hard-coded memory limits-

Remove the 16mb and 32mb memory limit so we can have HD Models for Units, Vehicles, Flora and buildings.
    Remove the memory limit on the animation system so all units use high-quality movement animations
    No limit to decals or effects such as blaster impacts on water
    Make extremely large view distances viewable and stable
    Remove 32mb limit on sound effects

CREDITS AND SPECIAL THANKS:

-Pandemic for the Mod Tools, and LucasArts for the game.

-Gistech for his Visual Sides mod ♥. Sounds and ATST/ATAT models

-Eisenfaust for giving me the inspiration to start this mod years back ♥