[Help] Not being logged into Steam after installing SWBFSpy patch for BF2.

Started by the-termin8r, December 07, 2021, 10:32:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
Hi everyone,

This is my first post here, so I hope I'm not posting in the wrong section. I'm having some issues with this patch that I'm hoping someone can help me with (I've tried digging around but couldn't find a solution). I wanted to try running a dedicated server myself, so I got the patch and the V1.08 server software.

However, when I boot the game up, I get a Gamespy login screen under the 'galaxy' tab in multiplayer and no servers if I go to the 'join' tab (I've included a screenshot). I've tried launching it from the new .EXE and from Steam. Launching from Steam yields the same result except I get the notification for the overlay which I didn't while launching from the .EXE. Before installing the patch everything was fine. I got auto logged in with my Steam account and I could join and create matches.

I tried installing the patch manually and with the auto installer, it made no difference. The .EXE is under the GameData folder and I've changed the name of the original one to "BattlefrontII - OG." I thought it might be clashing with a UI remaster mod I have as it creates its own shortcut that links to the .EXE. However I reinstalled it to link to the new .EXE and I get the same result. 

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks for any help.

I honestly can't understand most of what you said but I am going to assume you installed the SWBFspy patch over the Steam version which is not recommended. You should have a normal CD/DVD v1.1 game install for SWBFspy. Having both in the same game install conflicts, only one can work/be used at once which breaks the other.

Next, if you're trying to host a dedicated server on Steam or Galaxy, you have to use the new community made dedicated server program because the original dedicated server program is not compatible with the Steam or Galaxy game version.
https://github.com/jweigelt/swbf2admin

If you are trying to run the original dedicated server, you will need a SWBFspy game installation to join and play with.

Next, the v1.5 r2 mod/patch is just a mod support platform, it doesn't do anything to multiplayer BUT there are two different versions of this, one for Steam/Galaxy and the other for CD/DVD/Origin so you need to make sure you have the right v1.5 r2 if you want to use that. The v1.5 r2 mod does not require you to use it's new shortcut but it's recommended so the game's main menu can work in wide screen (a new feature in v1.5). You can just add -resolution 1920 1080 in your game's launch options to get the v1.5 wide screen functionality, that way you can ignore the shortcut created by v1.5 r2.

Lastly, the original dedicated server program's latest update is v1.10, if yours is v1.08 or v1.07 you need to update to v1.10.

At this point I'd have no idea how to fix your current game/servers so I would backup your save files and delete the whole game and do a fresh install. If you want to use SWBFspy game version/server version, I highly recommend getting your hands on the original game version. You can buy the v1.0 4 CD set and upgrade the game to the official v1.1 patch from LucasArts or the v1.1 DVD version. You can also download the old v1.1 game version on Origin for $10. The last option is to set sails on the high seas but we can't help you with that on these forums.
Never let a person named AnthonyBF2 touch your BF2.

Quote from: AnthonyBF2 on December 07, 2021, 08:06:13 PMI am going to assume you installed the SWBFspy patch over the Steam version which is not recommended.

Thanks for the reply. I wish this had been clearly outlined somewhere. With that being said, how come there's a Steam patch on the official info site

Either way, that's exactly what I'm trying to do. I've got the game on Steam and am trying to run the patch. When I go to 'multiplayer' I get prompted to log into a Gamespy account as my screenshot shows (instead of being auto logged in with Steam and taken to the server list).

QuoteNext, if you're trying to host a dedicated server on Steam or Galaxy, you have to use the new community made dedicated server program because the original dedicated server program is not compatible with the Steam or Galaxy game version.
https://github.com/jweigelt/swbf2admin

Am I right in assuming this doesn't need the patch and I can just run it as is?

Gamespy does not exist, it was terminated in 2014. SWBFspy is the replacement for Gamespy.

To run a dedicated server on Steam or Galaxy, you have to use the new community made server program, which by the way doesn't support Steam anyway.

Quote from: AnthonyBF2 on December 08, 2021, 02:15:17 PMGamespy does not exist, it was terminated in 2014. SWBFspy is the replacement for Gamespy.

Exactly why I brought it up, clearly it's not supposed to be taking me to said screen (I'm assuming that's the screen from when GS was still around).

Annoying that it can't be done on the Steam version. Thanks for your help nonetheless.

The only way you can host a server for Steam and Galaxy players, is to have the game on Galaxy + with the new community server program.

You can only use the original server manager on Gamespy/SWBFspy. You can convert your Steam game into the SWBFspy version but I'm totally unfamiliar with it. There should be appropriate information somewhere on this site.

And make sure you have the appropriate v1.5 r2 mod, because the wrong one will mess up shell.lvl which includes scripts that make either multiplayer work properly.

I hope this clears everything up.