Memories on the Battlefront

Started by Ultimo, May 31, 2020, 03:19:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Hi all,

Star Wars Battlefront is coming close to it's 16th birthday (September 21, 2004). While many of us old nerds certainly have the game beat on age, we're still sticking around after all these years. Why are we here? Why can't we just move on? Let's find out.

Got any great memories from your time playing Battlefront I, or II? Any juicy stories of player interactions or clan wars?

Please, feel free to share it with us here. Let us all reminisce about the days of old!
Formerly:
{Alpha}Gen.Ultimo
[212]Cpl.Ultimo
WUSi.Whisper

I'll start -

I remember being quite the immature little punk back in the day. Some of it embarrasses me to think about. I was the kid always begging for LED to let me into {PLA} (And to no avail).

There's one time in particular where {Alpha} was in a funwar with [FC]. At the time, FC had a member named Kishan. To my little brain, I thought he was always super toxic. One day I rolled over to the FC Guestbook and shared way too much info and begged for Kishan to be kicked from their clan. Yet for whatever reason, I made it even worse by deciding to color each paragraph a different color of the rainbow. I definetely made a complete mockery of myself on that day, and I'm so surprised I managed to actually got accepted into FC years later.

That was probably in 2010 or 2011. What a funky time for me.
Formerly:
{Alpha}Gen.Ultimo
[212]Cpl.Ultimo
WUSi.Whisper

This isn't a specific memory, but I remember finding and playing around with glitches in SWBFII PS2 with my brother, like the "stalking" animation (not sure what other people call it), the glitch that causes only the basic soldiers to spawn (or Han Solo & Boba Fett in Hero Assault), visual glitches like Count Dooku's slam attack and his weird cape, getting under the floor on Polis Massa, using the LQ models cheat code just because it's funny, and more that I've forgotten.

And of course, all of the classic voice lines, especially when they play right after another, as if they're speaking to each other.

uh oh, nostalgia time

The big tournaments were great, i fondly remember letting the genie out the bottle and forming the [YAK] clan (I can't remember if it was actually meant to stand for anything) with Snake for the clan-less folk who wanted to participate.
Those tournaments were usually high drama with inter-clan bickering, but the battles were fun, even though I don't remember winning many.

I think the peak of fun for me had to be the well populated Game Ranger (rip) servers for Mac players, as there would always be a good amount of folk playing on a CC NO BOTS NO CPING server.

I was a serious late joiner to SWBF1, as I didn't discovered multiplayer until 2014. I had been playing SWBF2 online until it was announced that the servers were going to go offline. Desperate to still play online I searched for alternate ways to play online and discovered Tunngle and also discovered that people still played SWBF1 online via Tunngle. I tried it out and shortly after had joined the BOBclan, and well the rest is history.

I have a lot of good memories in SWBF1.
Join the BOBclan Discord: click here | Proud member of the BOBclan since 2014

I started playing when I was 3 and played PS2

Used to play SWBF1 with my dad all the time on the PS2, those were the days.
Silly little guy.

June 09, 2020, 12:35:46 PM #7 Last Edit: June 09, 2020, 12:43:04 PM by Sovereign
There was a REALLY good player back in the day. I wish I remembered his name. But he always trashtalked me and someone else whenever either one of us were in the PLA server.

And I think at one point things got a bit heated and I responded. I can't remember how I responded, I don't know if I said anything bad.

But minutes later he said something along the lines of "Hey don't take everything I say personally. I just like to have fun and trash talk and I don't mean any of those things I say. I'll stop now"

And I didn't really believe him. Mostly because he went straight back to trashtalking the next day lmao.

But every now and then I still think about it. And I realize I never really understood trashtalking until way way later when I got into playing and watching competitive Overwatch. And I think I understand now that people like him want to bring out the best in you. And they're willing to put their ego on the line in front of you and everyone else to prove who the best players are. And it makes me sad that I didn't think of that earlier, but I was young and barely into college at that time.

Now I'm not saying that all people that trashtalk just do it to banter. Some people are just jerks simple as that. But I think that one player I'm talking about is probably just a really good and competitive player, and I just simply couldn't understand that competitiveness at that time. I hope he's doing good now and is trashtalking to his hearts content. He really was a good player

Quote from: Sovereign on June 09, 2020, 12:35:46 PM
There was a REALLY good player back in the day. I wish I remembered his name. But he always trashtalked me and someone else whenever either one of us were in the PLA server.

And I think at one point things got a bit heated and I responded. I can't remember how I responded, I don't know if I said anything bad.

But minutes later he said something along the lines of "Hey don't take everything I say personally. I just like to have fun and trash talk and I don't mean any of those things I say. I'll stop now"

And I didn't really believe him. Mostly because he went straight back to trashtalking the next day lmao.

But every now and then I still think about it. And I realize I never really understood trashtalking until way way later when I got into playing and watching competitive Overwatch. And I think I understand now that people like him want to bring out the best in you. And they're willing to put their ego on the line in front of you and everyone else to prove who the best players are. And it makes me sad that I didn't think of that earlier, but I was young and barely into college at that time.

Now I'm not saying that all people that trashtalk just do it to banter. Some people are just jerks simple as that. But I think that one player I'm talking about is probably just a really good and competitive player, and I just simply couldn't understand that competitiveness at that time. I hope he's doing good now and is trashtalking to his hearts content. He really was a good player

There were a few people I remember as good and toxic (but not in a bad way). Do you remember the name Drugrep at all?
Formerly:
{Alpha}Gen.Ultimo
[212]Cpl.Ultimo
WUSi.Whisper

Quote from: Ultimo on June 09, 2020, 01:39:01 PM
There were a few people I remember as good and toxic (but not in a bad way). Do you remember the name Drugrep at all?

Yes I do! I liked that guy. I saw him earlier this year when Battlefront 1 was added to steam. Hasn't changed much after all these years lol

June 09, 2020, 03:07:58 PM #10 Last Edit: June 09, 2020, 03:11:22 PM by {PLA}gdh92
Question mark was one of the good snipers I remember but there was a few really good players including sovereign. ;)

In cloud city at least I could usually top the leaderboard but every time I thought I was good a proper player would come along and beat me with a tenth of the deaths.

(PLA) devil is another one I remember, he would always be a pilot and run round healing both sides.

And a random one is the German (?) godz unit stevt who no matter how many warnings and bans he got only knew one phrase: 'we are  :censored: like  :censored:' which for some reason made me laugh.

Drugrep had a unique way of talking to. ;)

Edit: From a similar topic before:
[spoiler]Best memories:
My first time online having a great time and trying to talk to people then realising it was actually an empty server and they were ai...

My actual first week online going between PLA cloudity, cpt cupbear, ooc arena and ententeich servers and realising how different it was to single player.

Starting to think I was good then seeing players like question mark and quiz with 100-0-10 scores.

Finally getting more than 100 kills on a full cloudcity server.

Endless new clans that lasted a week trying to recruit me.

The 1 PLA clan night I made it to.

Learning all the secret grenade jumps with Wabbit and Stewie.

Accidentally shooting a teammate off the balcony with a rocket from the other side of cloudcity then staying silent as he just typed 'how in the world?' and flew off the map. Sorry Nemisis.

Winning a game with 0-1 in the enemies favour by capturing command posts.

Mod map nights and the close matches in the ICW tournament.
[/spoiler]
I play less now but I'll always be around, lets keep this site and battlefront going. :)

I really remember all the fun times on cloud city snipers only. Something cathartic about doing the same thing and each day learning a new grenade technique or wall bang. The GGW was super fun as well! So much nostalgia for the old days

What first comes to mind for me was accidentally discovering the glitch regarding puking a river of health and ammo dispensers in Jabba's Palace with a friend.

We were in the rancor pit when my friend got snatched by the rancor. I told him to respawn and as he did, we watched as a stream of dispensers unexpectedly came out of his character as he was getting munched. Gave us both a good laugh.

July 24, 2020, 12:51:28 AM #13 Last Edit: July 24, 2020, 09:04:12 AM by Unit 33
There were a good few amusing characters on the Mac side.
It wasn't so hard to coordinate playing on Mod maps either thanks to the chat on Game Ranger. Back in the day there were perhaps only a handful of maps that didn't work on Mac (never figured out why). Me and some other guy would casually 1v1 on most of the maps that were listed with a good rating on FileFront (remember Filefront)?!

I just remembered we had a player / forum member called 'Buccaneer' that spoke like a pirate at all times, even in-game. I think they were PC though.

where to start ...
In early April of this year, download Battlefront 1, because I still don't have money and I'm not self-sufficient to pay it.
When I started it I already had a certain idea of ​​how to play it since I had experience in the 1942 battlefield (great game) and I already knew the story of the star wars prequel trilogy (in my opinion, the 3rd movie is the best). but when I started the campaign, the clones made me tremendous bullyng. then I gradually learned the mechanics of the game. then he suffered on the geonosis map playing clone. Until he learned to use the transport ships and was victorious (after losing 5 times).
In May I found out I had pirated version 1.0, so I looked in different forums for update 1.2. And I was excited to realize that you could install maps and mods.
Now my life is more exciting.jpg
I looked for mods for the game and I found the starfire mod 1.2 and I loved it.
Then install maps compatible with the mod and find the maps of Serejas (my pc does not run them). after putting maps to but not being able to support my pc, I found this forum and I am publishing this giant text.
In conclusion:
The rocket troopers are op with the starfire mod.
I HATE droidekas and play with the rebels or the empire.
I would like my 2007 toast to support medium quality gaming.
I want command droids or command clones in this game
And I would like to play online someday, since I can't pay for this beauty of 2004 yet.