Polis Massa: Dark Lord Rising (mission map)

Started by Napseeker, July 09, 2009, 08:15:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
July 09, 2009, 08:15:08 PM Last Edit: February 19, 2023, 03:50:42 PM by Led
Polis Masa: Dark Lord Rising (DLR) 1.0 for SWBF1 - by Napseeker Productions

IMPORTANT: Before you can play this mission map, you MUST install the Polis Masa: Medical Facility map by Battlebelk.  Polis Masa: Medical Facility was ported from SWBF2 to SWBF1 by Battlebelk and can be found on his website here: http://www.filefront.com/user/BattleBelk/

local link:  http://www.swbfgamers.com/index.php?action=downloads;sa=view;down=366

The name of the file (at the time of this writing) is Polis_Massa_swbf1.zip

This map should be installed to your /addon/ map folder, creating a new map folder called /pol1/

Once you've done that, you can install the Polis Masa: Dark Lord Rising mission map to /addon/ which will create a new map folder called /pol07/.

Both /pol1/ and /pol07/ must ALWAYS be in the /addon/ folder if you want to play DLR.  If you contact me with problems and did not follow these instructions, I _will_ yell at you!  Have fun :)

Battlebelk also said he plans to finish porting Polis Masa and fix some of the AI pathing issues and terrain paint.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
STORY:

Newly encased in his life-saving armor, Darth Vader pursues Obi-Wan to Polis Masa where he locates his wife, Padme. Obi-Wan and Yoda must protect Padme and prevent the twins from falling into the clutches of the evil Sith lord!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
MISSIONS:

- if you choose the "Clone Wars" era, there are two teams: Jedi and Republic (or Empire if you prefer). Yoda and Vader are the heroes of each team. The goal is simple, wipe out the other side!  As the Republic, seize control of the medical facility (and Padme) or as the Jedi team, stop the invading Shocktrooper forces led by Darth Vader.

- if you choose the "Galactic Civil War" era, the mission is the same as "Clone Wars" except that for the Republic team you can now actually play as Darth Vader. The Shocktrooper Clone Commander becomes the hero unit.

NEW CHARACTERS:

- Bail Organa (as sniper)

- Alderaan Officer (based on the Captain Antilles character from RotS) with heavy assault weapons

- Shocktrooper Clone Commander (based on the Hasbro action figure in the Order66 two-pack)

- pregnant Padme (non-playable): you can find her lying down in one of the birthing rooms!

- Obi-Wan unit now has the "skirt" part of his Jedi wardrobe! :)

SCREENSHOTS

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
DOWNLOAD:

http://rapidshare.com/files/254031716/PolisMasa_DarkLordRising_ver1.rar

local link:  http://www.swbfgamers.com/index.php?action=downloads;sa=view;down=387

Hmm, I don't remember that happening,
but it still looks fun !

Wow, Cool! I've been looking all over for a Polis Massa Map!

Thanks, Napseeker!  :cheer:

"Your foe is well equipped, well-trained, battle-hardened. He believes his gods are on his side. Let him believe what he will. We have the tanks on ours."

Thanks Napseeker for still making these mission maps. Your always one upping yourself. Your the best.

July 10, 2009, 12:21:51 PM #6 Last Edit: July 10, 2009, 12:24:15 PM by Napseeker
A big thanks to Battlebelk from me in regards to making this mod map possible... JediKiller and I can both attest to how hard it is to convert Polis Massa to SWBF1 as the collision issues are quite tedious to fix.  

I pm'd BB to say thanks and he mentioned that he'd like to port ALL the SWBF2 maps to SWBF1 eventually - so yeah, I'm excited to be able to play Tantive and Kashyyyk someday on BF1.  I've been playing those maps on SWBF2 on my new PC and they are tons of fun on BF2 but I still prefer BF1 in terms of gameplay.

These teams were originally intended for a Tantive IV mission map since I noticed there were 3 people all trying to port that map and assumed eventually somebody would do it... but lo and behold we got Polis instead first.  :)

Try playing this map on "hard" (although if you do, I noticed that R2 is probably the best unit to play as... the Shocktroopers are quite tough).  There are currently two places on the map where units tend to clump up and not move, similar to the pathing problems with strike/scum's Death Star map.  This can be quite frustrating for single player play - I actually spawn as Obi-Wan and use my force push to shove the units over this invisible boundary that the units seem to be unwilling to cross over.  Once the units are pushed over, you can then order them to follow you and get past the blockage.

I've also included a mapinfo.txt file this time.  I have no idea what this is for, some MP thing I assume, but if it helps the MP gameplay, it's there.

...oh forgot to mention, when you do play on "hard", the Flametrooper uses his flamethrower a bit more regularly.  He rarely seemed to use it when playing on "medium" difficulty.  R2 also seems to use his foam spray more often with the higher difficulty setting too.

This is of course an excellent little mission map, fun as always! Cheers! 10/10  :tu:

(I can't wait to see what you'd do with a new Kashyyyk Map or an OT map like Tantive :O)

I played Hard mode last night (Sadly i forgot to enable heros) but i found it was as hard as Nap says, i ended up playing as Obi Wan and deflecting fire rather then actually trying to fight, the nades blow up so fast its hard to dodge :) in anycase it was quite a battle to hold the empire off!

Only things i noticed are small things, like no first person models for some models, along with the beam rifle on the Clone looks as if its being shot from the head rather then the gun.

Otherwise the mod is great!! map is also very well done in terms of collision errors, and fixes!
QuoteSow the wind and reap the whirlwind
Through the rain and through the shine
Only something with a meaning can stand the test of time

Ummm... forgive me if I sound like a noob, but I don't see where I'm supposed to click to download Napseeker's map.

I clicked the link and it sent me to the site, but I don't see the download button.

Quote from: Khyler on July 10, 2009, 12:41:05 PM
Napseeker, you fail to amaze me.
Awfully rude, isn't it? If you're going to criticize, some comments would certainly be more helpful than just saying, "this sucks."

Rhino- click Free User on the first page, wait a minute or so, then click the Download Now button that appears.

(•̪●)=ε/̵͇̿̿/'̿'̿ ̿ ̿̿ ̿ ̿"" (-_-*)

Thanks, JK. Wanted to make sure I wasn't signing up for something if I clicked that. :)

Quote from: Hardcore on July 10, 2009, 12:36:46 PM
I played Hard mode last night (Sadly i forgot to enable heros) but i found it was as hard as Nap says, i ended up playing as Obi Wan and deflecting fire rather then actually trying to fight, the nades blow up so fast its hard to dodge :) in anycase it was quite a battle to hold the empire off!

Only things i noticed are small things, like no first person models for some models, along with the beam rifle on the Clone looks as if its being shot from the head rather then the gun.

Otherwise the mod is great!! map is also very well done in terms of collision errors, and fixes!

Hey HC, you're right - I did disable the first person view for some of the characters... I should probably explain that anytime you have a unit who wields a lightsaber, the 1st person view for him is a bit screwey looking because the lightsaber was never intended to be seen from that viewpoint, so it looks glitchy and obstructive. Rather than confuse the gamer, I just turned off the viewpoint (I think they do the same thing for the Jedi units in SWBF2 also).  R2 also doesn't have a 1st person view but that was more due to laziness on my part in trying to guess what camera settings to use for a lower viewpoint...  although whenever you fire his foam weapon, it blocks your entire sight anyway, so 1st person is kinda useless there...

All the soldier units should have 1st person though, if not report that as a bug to me and I'll fix it for sure.

The beam rifle does fire from the wrong spot too - I forgot about that.  I just copied over the beam fx from another weapon and obviously the beam emits from someplace different on that weapon.  Particle editor is a bit confusing to situate stuff but I should make a note to go back and try and fix this for a future release.

Part of the reason why it is extra hard to play as the Jedi team is sadly due to the pathing problem.  The longer you play, if you don't capture and hold some CPs for the Jedi, then all the units end up respawning at the top-rightmost CP.  They then try to run to the other CPs but due to the pathing problem they end up all clumped at the entrance to one of the narrow corridors. So over time, the Jedi units are unable to spread themselves over the map to help you - and you ultimately find yourself more and more fighting alone against all the shocktroopers!  As they are all trapped together in one spot, all it takes is for one shocktrooper to toss his grenade and wham, a ton of your troops die in one blast.  Plus of course, since the REPs hold almost all the CPs but one, you begin bleeding reinforcements too (although I set the bleed to be very slow to be fair).

TIP: when you start the game, play as R2 and fly over to the top-leftmost enemy CP by exiting through the hangar and flying over the alien landscape.  Capture that CP and you've surrounded the REPs; the REPs seem to have a somewhat tougher time recapturing that CP and so you give the Jedi team improved odds at not respawning in that narrow corridor zone.

Ah, i guess i didn't say it quite right, on the models i was more meaning that some of the units (Alderaan troops) don't have arms and the guns just float in first person- And I do understand why the Jedi and R2 are better without first person cause yes the Light saber does look rather silly when you see it in first :)

QuoteSow the wind and reap the whirlwind
Through the rain and through the shine
Only something with a meaning can stand the test of time