Terrible Idea!
9 (56.3%)
Either Way
4 (25%)
Awesome
3 (18.8%)

Total Members Voted: 16

Voting closed: July 24, 2013, 04:22:17 PM

Why should the players get all the tournament glory?

So, what do you guys think about having a modding tournament? I believe most of us do mod, so we could get a lot of people joining in. It would be a bracket style tournament, and each round would be a different thing to mod. (Like round one would be a side mod, round two a map, etc) This could be a lot of fun if everyone who mods participates.  :) I like the idea, but I'm not sure if everyone will. If this is going to be a competition, I'm going to need three judges that are NOT going to be in the contest. I would be glad to be a judge, if somebody could tell me how to install mods that where not maps.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Modders who would like to enter:

Judges:

1. Me (Maybe)
2. Nobody
3. nobody

Just want to point out, this is just an idea right now, this is to see opinions and who is interested.

Ask your friendly WgT member about joining today!

I wouldn't be doing it, I hardly have time anyways.

People should know if you mean like HUGE massive whole side modifications, or just skins/specific class edit.
You'd be better off also not allowing mod maps, as they can take 100x longer.
--
How to install a side modification:
Download the side.lvl in whatever package it comes in, extract it, and move the .LVL file to C:/ProgramFiles/LucasArts/Starwars Battlefront/GameData/Data/_LVL_PC/Side/
Or Win7 Equivalent C:/Program Files (x86)/LucasArts/Stawars Battlefront/GameData/Data/_LVL_PC/Side/

You will need to keep a backup of the original level files, what I do is just create a folder (might need admin priv for this on Windows7) and name it /backup/ e.i.:  ../GameData/_LVL_PC/Side/backup/ , and move the original before replacing it with the downloaded.

People should know if you mean like HUGE massive whole side modifications, or just skins/specific class edit.
You'd be better off also not allowing mod maps, as they can take 100x longer.

Nah, just on character. The mod map idea was just an example. 

Please, don't judge me, I haven't a clue about modding and how much work it is. I have downloaded the tools, but they take too much space and don't work.  :(

Great idea! the issue is, that is people can be a bit biased sometimes, and someone like sereja or snake would possibly have a bit more advantage then someone who has yet to release anything like me

June 24, 2013, 06:42:37 PM #4 Last Edit: June 24, 2013, 06:44:18 PM by Josh
  We can probably make it a "blind" judging. Like the modder would give the file in the attachments to, say, Led. Led would give them to the Judges, but not tell who did what. Fair competition.  :D (are you in?)

Mods are harder to compare because of how subjective the differences are. Some people have different preferences for what they like seeing in a mod. With combat tournaments, you have endgame scores for comparison statistics. I'm not saying this idea is impossible, but it would be far more difficult to objectively compare mods in the same way. I won't be signing up but the format of increasingly difficult mod challenges sounds interesting.

No, I do not mod. Too lazy to actually download image editors or that bopc fix

Good mods are hard work and take time, they are not be suited for a rigorous tournament.

Quote from: UNIT 33 on June 25, 2013, 09:36:19 AM
Good mods are hard work and take time, they are not be suited for a rigorous tournament.
I was thinking a 6 month tournament, that long enough?

To be honest, a modding tournament doesn't seem like a very good idea. I can understand if it was a modding contest for a certain holiday or event, but most people like to work at their own pace and not have to worry about a set deadline.

If you are going to continue it, though, I would suggest giving it a theme to give the modders an idea to base their mod off of. It would be easier to judge if it had a theme, too.

Quote from: Josh on June 25, 2013, 10:22:35 AM
I was thinking a 6 month tournament, that long enough?
for most serious mods, no.

I tried a mapping contest already. This community can't support stuff like that. At least not when it's someone other than Unit organizing it. ;)

I'm not discouraging the idea, I would love to see a modding contest of any kind but hey mods are tedious to make. :shrug:

The tournaments are always fun, but, perhaps the subject of it, should be decreased. For example:
Texturing:
Best skin, sky, terrain palette.
Effects:
Best explosion, enviroment effect, jet, ordance.
3D modeling:
Best prop, unit, vehicle, gun.
Whatever, who can win this, but at least, there will be a lot of assets to claim ;).
Beauty is, the way to perfection.

Glory to Ukraine!  :mf:

Quote from: Kit Fisto on June 25, 2013, 11:58:22 PM
I tried a mapping contest already. This community can't support stuff like that. At least not when it's someone other than Unit organizing it. ;)

I'm not discouraging the idea, I would love to see a modding contest of any kind but hey mods are tedious to make. :shrug:
It has the potential to support it, however it's difficult to time it right when no modders are working on something.
Like at the moment i think just about all the major modders are busy with various projects.
And some of us are collaborating on multiple mods... I think I've contributed to 5 different mods in the last two weeks.

Yeah, we are all busy cooking up some fun for everyone right now. I think the only kind of tournament that 1. Would work, 2. Modders would do, 3. Non-modders would enjoy, would be a contest for a specific themed map or mod. Like a map for a specific holiday or something.
=AaTc= Forever

SALLY....

-Retired Modder