Tutorial - Bypass DNAS Authentication for PS2 SWBF1

Started by Phobos, February 04, 2016, 02:01:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quote from: Led on May 29, 2016, 09:57:47 AM

Hmm, please explain!

DNAS stands for Dynamic Network Authentication System. It is something designed by Sony for their products as a security feature.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DNAS

DNS stands for Domain Name System, it involves associating a domain name with an IP address and it is not limited to only Sony products.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Domain_Name_System

Phobos, I believe this post I found is relevant to the work you have done so far. I'm putting it here in case you are interested or if we ever need to actually do this for SWBF1 or SWBF2. Things are mostly fine at the moment though.

http://ps2onlinegaming.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=1999

October 20, 2016, 03:33:03 PM #19 Last Edit: October 20, 2016, 05:08:48 PM by harry62
Quote from: Phobos on February 04, 2016, 02:01:10 AM
original post text

Here you go. Both codes can be patched directly in to the ISO with PS2 Patch Engine, or you can use a cheat device such as codebreaker.

Star Wars Battlefront [NTSC][SLUS_208.98]
DNAS Bypass
2017ACBC 24020000

Star Wars Battlefront 2 [NTSC][SLUS_212.40]
DNAS Bypass
2017F04C 24020000

October 21, 2016, 07:07:19 AM #21 Last Edit: October 21, 2016, 10:37:42 AM by harry62
Quote from: Led on October 20, 2016, 05:44:42 PM
Thanks Harry62   :cheers:
No problem. I'm not familiar with the state of the SWBF series on PS2. Is DNAS currently an issue for the players or does the DNAS emulation servers work?

Quote from: harry62 on October 21, 2016, 07:07:19 AM
No problem. I'm not familiar with the state of the SWBF series on PS2. Is DNAS currently as issue for the players or does the DNAS emulation servers work?

I recently found out about the emulation server and set up my DNS to point to them.  I don't have a PS2 set up, but I have heard that they work, and I am glad that they do.

Having said that, though, every third party we need to rely on only make us a little more unstable, so if some hex edits remove the DNAS, then that is good for us in the long run.
Quote from: Abraham Lincoln. on November 04, 1971, 12:34:40 PM
Don't believe everything you read on the internet

Quote from: harry62 on October 21, 2016, 07:07:19 AM
No problem. I'm not familiar with the state of the SWBF series on PS2. Is DNAS currently an issue for the players or does the DNAS emulation servers work?

Thanks Harry, how did you find us here?

Everything is okay on PlayStation 2. SWBFSpy redirects to the new DNAS servers and they work just fine. I played SWBF2 a couple days ago on my PS2, and as far as I know the first SWBF works too.

Quote from: Mike on October 24, 2016, 12:11:04 AM
Thanks Harry, how did you find us here?

Everything is okay on PlayStation 2. SWBFSpy redirects to the new DNAS servers and they work just fine. I played SWBF2 a couple days ago on my PS2, and as far as I know the first SWBF works too.
I was going to create DNAS bypass codes for the current set of online games on PS2 and the SWBF series so I did a quick google search to make sure no one else had already created the codes. That's when I found this thread. This tutorial seems overly difficult for bypassing DNAS plus the check is not completely removed. The codes listed above alter the following script:

"ScriptCB_ShouldCheckDNAS"

This script is called first before the other DNAS scripts. The code forces it to return FALSE.

Quote from: harry62 on October 24, 2016, 02:39:21 AM
I was going to create DNAS bypass codes for the current set of online games on PS2 and the SWBF series so I did a quick google search to make sure no one else had already created the codes. That's when I found this thread. This tutorial seems overly difficult for bypassing DNAS plus the check is not completely removed. The codes listed above alter the following script:

"ScriptCB_ShouldCheckDNAS"

This script is called first before the other DNAS scripts. The code forces it to return FALSE.
I don't see how the tutorial is overly difficult, everything is explained step by step. It just requires hex editing and paying attention. Although it is written for emulators and might be too complicated to implement using a console. Using the method I posted, DNAS check is completely bypassed so doesn't need to be removed.

Quote from: Phobos on October 24, 2016, 09:10:42 AM
I don't see how the tutorial is overly difficult, everything is explained step by step. It just requires hex editing and paying attention. Although it is written for emulators and might be too complicated to implement using a console. Using the method I posted, DNAS check is completely bypassed so doesn't need to be removed.

It's not difficult for you or I but for others it probably appears as another language when viewing a hex editor. To me it seems easier to enter a code via a cheat device to bypass the DNAS, or patch the code in to the ISO using ps2 patch engine.

February 17, 2017, 12:23:49 PM #27 Last Edit: February 17, 2017, 06:10:08 PM by Anthony_b
I would like to bump this with useful information.

I got another PS2 recently and had it modded by buying a hacked memory with Free McBoot installed onto it. FMCB is a program designed to run homebrew on the PS2 and play burned games or ISO files of PS2 games. There appear to be several ways of playing games using FMCB.

First I tried the DVD approach. I burned a copy of SWBF2. The game would freeze, skip, lag, and glitch out a lot. I concluded this was because I bought a bad DVD quality. Research concludes that the PS2 is picky with DVDs that are not original. Instead of wasting more money on packs of DVDs I looked at the next option which was running games from a shared folder on my computer through a network linked with the PS2. In short, this was too hard and I didn't get it right so I went to the next option.

The third option which I tried seems to be the best - Running the game ISO from a USB drive stick on the PS2.
Now please know the PS2 uses USB v1.1 which is very slow and most PS2 games will be unplayable because of that, this is well documented in the PS2 modding community and strongly advised against.

HOWEVER using the USB option seems to be very good specifically for SWBF2. This is because SWBF2 always loads everything it currently needs at once during load screens. So during gameplay, or during any menu item, the game will never freeze, skip, or lag. The only bad thing about running the game on USB is the actual load screen times will double. This is a small price to pay in my personal opinion seeing how everything else works flawlessly.

Once I got all that taken care of I applied the edits to bypass DNAS and can confirm it works 100% without any issues. Big thanks again to Phobos and/or Snake for making the edits available.

To make things even easier, I edited SWBFRNT2.ELF and replaced all instances of gamespy.com with swbfspy.com. The advantage of this is that now I don't even have to enter the new DNS address into the PS2's network configuration.

So the end result is: SWBF2 can be played online normally and flawlessly as if GameSpy never even died.
I have yet to confirm this with SWBF1 but I assume it will work.

EDIT: Confirmed working 100% for SWBF1. Played with Snake for a few minutes.
Never let a person named AnthonyBF2 touch your BF2.

February 18, 2017, 05:10:23 AM #28 Last Edit: February 18, 2017, 05:12:00 AM by oldsnake
hi Anthony_b
The only bad thing about running the game on USB is the actual load screen times will double

if you want to make the load time faster on your usb swbf1 remove all of the maps from the loadlvl folder. only keeping load.lvl not sure how much it will speed up but have used this for many years on my iso. never tested it on swbf2 but it should work.

http://imgur.com/eKXgDVz

so when done your folder looks like this below. remake your iso and test map load times see if it improves.
http://imgur.com/vhs5Gs4

Quote from: oldsnake on February 18, 2017, 05:10:23 AM
if you want to make the load time faster on your usb swbf1 remove all of the maps from the loadlvl folder. only keeping load.lvl not sure how much it will speed up but have used this for many years on my iso. never tested it on swbf2 but it should work.

http://imgur.com/eKXgDVz

so when done your folder looks like this below. remake your iso and test map load times see if it improves.
http://imgur.com/vhs5Gs4
I figured out this trick years ago for the PC. Removing all files from the load folder except the main load.lvl shortens load times for all maps. That's good it works on the console too.

What program do you use to rebuild the ISO?